Forum - general thoughts

T

thecraw

Forum runs along just fine. At times however I feel that its getting lazy and people need to learn to use the search facility instead of the same old topics being re-hashed every few weeks by different people.

For sale section needs to be strongly cracked down on. Instead of getting y-fronts in a twist over pictures why not just clamp down on the back chat and pointless posts. Delete them is applicable.

I enjoy the review section the best now on the whole site, its interesting and informative, people react and interact very well on that and its usually the first place I look. My interest in the GM lounge is now very low.

StuartD

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Forum runs along just fine. At times however I feel that its getting lazy and people need to learn to use the search facility instead of the same old topics being re-hashed every few weeks by different people.

For sale section needs to be strongly cracked down on. Instead of getting y-fronts in a twist over pictures why not just clamp down on the back chat and pointless posts. Delete them is applicable.

I enjoy the review section the best now on the whole site, its interesting and informative, people react and interact very well on that and its usually the first place I look. My interest in the GM lounge is now very low.

The review section is good. I would trust a review in there more than i would in some other magazines.

Not sure i agree with you about the lounge though Craw.

Incidentally I have bought some new grips. Would you happen to know how easy they are to fit yourself :eek:

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site

I know what you mean. How many threads do we need on what ball or grip.

I think the forum tootles along nicely with the odd social handgrenade chucked in, but I think it is a fair reflection on real life.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Having been on both sides of flame wars on here I can see how there is potential to damage the GM brand and none of us want that. With the exception of two people on here in all the time I've been posting I've never had a problem with anyone. Whatever has been said in the heat of the battle is soon forgotten and I won't hold grudges if I've been attacked whether rightly or wrongly in my mind.

I think "within reason" some of these spats are quite cathartic at times and as long as they don't become regular occurences and overstep the now clearly marked boundaries of tolerance.

It is by far and away the best golf forum out there. Personally I've no issue if certain subjects reappear regularly. Most threads tend to go off on some degree of tangent at some point and if you don't want to read another GPS or ball thread then don't

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
This is a great forum, and we need a little bit of toning down once in a while; but not too much

For example, in my mind the worst thread by a country mile was teh "shot in the face" thread; but if i remember rightly, both of the 2 originators of the 2 particualrly "extreme" comments both reviewed their comments after the numerous points made by the forum members and rescinded somewhat. Surely that collective learning and tolerance is a good thing. Surely in that way, within a safe environment we manage to get some extreme points debated without anyone getting hurt, as it woudl have done had it been debated in a pub on a Saturday night.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I missed the offending thread but I would say it is an isolated one. On the whole this forum is a little more grown up than most. Most forums tend to descend into abuse the moment someone offers a different opinion. I don't tend to stay there long. While there may be the odd disagreement on here in general it is healthy debate. The fact that so many keep coming back is testament to that.

It's a shame Mike had to raise this post but I'm sure we all take on board what he says.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
as I said on another post, we seem to go through events like this from time to time, although, also as said elsewhere, it's usually a winter thing. I don't know if it can still be classified as 'growing pains'.

we've been through the question of when does humour cease to be humour too. edgy humour is always going to be a risk when directed at a forum persona - I think that gets resolved by more people getting out and meeting - suddenly you find that the snappy jack russell is really a pushover.
(Homer's actually a nice guy :p , and rick, murph (and me) are the only ones with any dress sense!)

I must admit to the use of the occasional thinly disguised expletive, though only of the milder variety - so memo to self - stop it! (If you look up 15th, 16th, 17th century English you can find some much more effective, and funnier, 'terms of endearment'!)

S

Snelly

Hmmm. After this topic was posted and the subsequent addition of new moderators, for the first time in the years I have subscribed to this forum, one of my posts has been moderated.

I haven't changed.

I hope the forum hasn't.

Food for thought though....

Snelly.

T

thecraw

Hmmm. After this topic was posted and the subsequent addition of new moderators, for the first time in the years I have subscribed to this forum, one of my posts has been moderated.

I haven't changed.

I hope the forum hasn't.

Food for thought though....

Snelly.

The new power will settle down. It has been noticed in other circles as well Snelly. The forum needs mods that is for certain, even if its just to keep me in check however there has been petty stuff picked upon.

S

Snelly

I hope it does settle down. I don't think of myself as someone that needs to be policed and I am not good at being told what I can and can't do.