Forum - general thoughts

GOLFER1994

Head Pro
Visit site
I think that if a mod dosnt keep an eye on the oob section the thread on the s57 nonsense may kick off again ! :p
Sorry for all the nonsense i have caused !

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is there nothing just below your signature, Murph? I have the following;-

Screenshot2011-07-05at112127.png

The third little icon is the notify button.

StuartD

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I totally see why this thread was needed but what a shame there are already a few of that old school type of golfer who is DESPERATE to dumb things down and use it as a platform for something they don't agree with.

I take it that was aimed at me.

I certainly don’t think I am an old school golfer and am sorry if you thought my post had nothing to with the subject and if my post appeared that I was desperate to dumb down the forum. As Mikes post was titled general thoughts I thought it was a good place as any but maybe I should have pm’d MikeH my concerns instead. I don’t feel that I am desperate to dumb down the forum as you put it as I never asked for these posts to stop, I merely passed on some advice for MikeH to make an informed decision

As for stopping these posts, personally I don’t have a problem with them and have used the links posted on here many times myself. I believe that only the person who chooses to go to these links is doing something illegal but others see it differently.

If you look at football forums up and down the country, bans are being handed out to people posting these links as some websites had temporary closure forced on them until the practice stops.

It is easy to get round with some simple PM’s and that is something I have done before and will do again. :D

Philm

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
On a seperate topic, are there any planners to spruce the place up abit?

Vbulletin or similar software wouldnt go amiss around here!

Surely with the advertising etc we can afford a decent forum base?

just a question :) ps i cant find my sent messages therefore i am current peeved at the forum lol

Phil

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
ps i cant find my sent messages therefore i am current peeved at the forum lol

Did you save them as you sent them, Phil? It's not automatic. You have to use the "save" option before sending otherwise they just disappear.

Philm

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
ps i cant find my sent messages therefore i am current peeved at the forum lol

Did you save them as you sent them, Phil? It's not automatic. You have to use the "save" option before sending otherwise they just disappear.

oh... i see :(

doh.

Phil

ps Thanks, ill remember for future

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
No probs, Phil. This place is full of idiots.

;) ;) ;)

Oh, that was a joke, mate.

Anyway, back to the original point Mike made. I agree entirely. Always best to regard the forum as an online clubhouse rather than an online pub. A wee bit of decorum and manners doesn't go awry. Nothing wrong with a bit of banter but it's better for us all if we rein in the language to the appropriate level, eh guys.

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
On a seperate topic, are there any planners to spruce the place up abit?
Vbulletin or similar software wouldnt go amiss around here!
Surely with the advertising etc we can afford a decent forum base?

Hi Philm (and all)
we are switching to v bulletin for the forum in the not too distant future and there will also be a bit of a makevover of the site (the first step of which was the new carousel on the home page that debuted a couple of months back) but as evcer with us it takes a while to all happen as there are 70 odd brands at IPC all competing for development time

DCB

Visit site
Compared to some of the spats that took place in the early days of the forum, the most recent escapade was handbags at ten paces. That however isn't any reason for it to have happened.

I came to this forum in it's early stages as it did seem a place for the more discerning golfer. It didn't have the same 'edge' that some of the other forums had. Let's not see it develop that way now that it is growing in both size and popularity.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well said, that man.

I've avoided other fora for the same reason, Dave.

The best thing about this one is that we happen to be blessed with a range of comic geniuses and masters of the "one line coffee spitter ooter". Lets keep it that way.

:D

Nothing less attractive than grown men name-calling on the internet.

:(

Losttheplot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If I'm honest I missed the thread which is the topic of conversation. But with that in mind I havent seen too much bad language or direct 'abuse'. There has been witty comments and good 'debate' (said loosely) but that's what makes this forum great. It's full of different personalities with different views and opinions but one common interest, the love of golf.

If this other thread has completely contravened rules then that's fair enough, but with the rest of the forum... Not really got a problem.

HickoryShaft

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I definitely agree that the forum needs rules and that the opportunities it gives to forumers through comps, fittings, features in the mag etc are fantastic and should be protected. No arguments there.

As a recent member myself I have come across the odd comment that I think is a bit OTT....nothing too bad but occasionally I think well that was just bang out of order but.......please don't let it stop the banter.

Most days I ends up having a chuckle when I log on, there are some great debates, clearly lots of friends made over the years and by far and away it is mostly fun stuff being said or a mild wind up at worst. Thankfully I missed the thread referred to so can't comment on that score.

I don't want a vanilla flavour forum so keep it clean and fun!!

UpminsterGas11

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've only been a member on this forum for a couple of months, and i have to say that compared to pretty much every other forum i've experienced, this one has by far the most respectful, courteous and well mannered members, i've seen very little in the way of what i would call 'bad forum behaviour', i didn't see the thread which started off this debate,but i would say from my limited time on here that it was very much out of the ordinary.

A

Alex1975

I totally see why this thread was needed but what a shame there are already a few of that old school type of golfer who is DESPERATE to dumb things down and use it as a platform for something they don't agree with.

I take it that was aimed at me.

I certainly don’t think I am an old school golfer and am sorry if you thought my post had nothing to with the subject and if my post appeared that I was desperate to dumb down the forum. As Mikes post was titled general thoughts I thought it was a good place as any but maybe I should have pm’d MikeH my concerns instead. I don’t feel that I am desperate to dumb down the forum as you put it as I never asked for these posts to stop, I merely passed on some advice for MikeH to make an informed decision

As for stopping these posts, personally I don’t have a problem with them and have used the links posted on here many times myself. I believe that only the person who chooses to go to these links is doing something illegal but others see it differently.

If you look at football forums up and down the country, bans are being handed out to people posting these links as some websites had temporary closure forced on them until the practice stops.

It is easy to get round with some simple PM’s and that is something I have done before and will do again. :D

I take back what I said, it was a little knee jerk now you have added a little more information.

I think my point is that for sure posting links for that are a little naughty but no one is making you click on them and it is a very very small part of the postings and usually around a major. Bringing attention to such a minor indiscretion almost forces GM to take a stance on it.

At school my art teacher knew I smoked behind the art block, we never talked about it. When I got caught for smoking I did not say "oh Mr So&so knew I was doing it"

Given that you have used the links it may have been easier for all parties if it was left on the down low, but its whatever, I am just not one for volunteering information, live and let live.