Winter- trolley or carry/ full set or half set?

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Once they start roping off areas where they don't want trolleys, I carry.
Clubs ejected from the bag are 4i, 6i, 8i, PW, 60° & the left handed 7i.
Having only half the irons to choose from means there's never any doubt over which one to use.

Mandofred

Visit site
I carried a couple of times last week with 8 clubs total. Last year I was carrying 9 I think. Carrying all 14 with mid-size grips would be really tight with the bag I have.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Rarely take 14 clubs anyway even on nice summer day with golf buggy, the top, middle and bottom of my bag would just have clubs that are pretty much a double for another club and giving pretty much same shot result or I'd be 'bagging' a club that'd maybe only be used once so hardly worth it being there (i.e 7 iron)

When I carry or walk to club with carry bag it'll be with a 3/4 set of 8,9 or 10 clubs depending on the weather and wind that day

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Carry in winter - full set, although I could easily take a few clubs out and not miss them. I'd go 5 iron to PW, a 5 wood, Driver and putter - 9 clubs. Could probably take the 6 and 8 iron out of that as well if I wanted to really reduce the weight.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
I carry at my club as it’s a shortish 9 hole course.

The only clubs that get swapped about/changed are driver, 3&7 woods and 3 iron

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'll keep using the trolley until they start doing trolley bans at my club, then I'll go down to 8 or 9 clubs and carry for the rest of winter. As said above it's often easier when they start roping off certain parts of the course where they don't want trolleys going even when there isn't a ban.

I have a hybrid bag anyway so it's easy enough for me to switch from trolley to carrying at the last moment if there is a trolley ban and I wasn't aware.

D

Deleted member 23270

We never have a trolley ban but I've gone to carry bag anyway. Course is quite undulating so helps with the fitness.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I carry during the winter as we rarely do a full round and I do it to try and save wear and tear to the course. I tend to carry a half set of old Maxfli Revolution midsize clubs. I always hankered after them and bought a full set a few years ago for £20 off ebay, just because I could. Seems a shame not to use them so they are my winter set.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I just carry a full bag all year round these days.

I do own a trolley but It doesn't often come out at all - mainly in summer when I play multiple days in a row and fancy a rest :ROFLMAO:

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I have a friend who would have no problem going from trolley to bag at any point during the year.

He has a trolley and a cart bag with 14 clubs in it, but he only ever uses 6 of them. He uses his driver, a 9 iron for chipping from everywhere, a 64 degree wedge if he has to get the ball up, a putter and two hybrids for everything else. He had problems with his trolley recently, put those clubs in a pencil bag and was good to go.

The thing is he is dynamite with them, plays everything purely by feel. Has an index of 9.6.

AAC

Visit site
I started carrying last week, will prune the clubs down to 10 or 11 for the winter, if it helps protect the course then I am all for it whilst still being fit enough to carry.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I have a friend who would have no problem going from trolley to bag at any point during the year.

He has a trolley and a cart bag with 14 clubs in it, but he only ever uses 6 of them. He uses his driver, a 9 iron for chipping from everywhere, a 64 degree wedge if he has to get the ball up, a putter and two hybrids for everything else. He had problems with his trolley recently, put those clubs in a pencil bag and was good to go.

The thing is he is dynamite with them, plays everything purely by feel. Has an index of 9.6.

Don't you just hate guys like that :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Don't you just hate guys like that :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Yes, especially as his chipping and putting are other worldly. When we played a couple of weeks ago he had two birdies making putts that anyone else would have 3 putted. We often play matchplay amongst ourselves, and we all know that where he is concerned you have never won a hole off him until it is mathematically impossible. However, if we are partners in a club knockout, then the magic mysteriously deserts him ****.

Kennysarmy

Visit site
Trolley with 14 clubs is my preferred, when a trolley ban comes in I'd probably drop a few clubs out: (those highlighted below)

Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 9°
Hzrdus smoke 6.0 60g (04/19)

Cobra King F7 fwy 3-4 @ 14.5 °D
Fujikura pro 65 R (2017)

TaylorMade GAPR 3 Mid. 18°

KBS Hybrid 80S (07/20)

Titleist 913hd 18° A3 setting (+1.5°)
Mitsubishi Rayon Diamara s+ R 80g (2017)

Mixuno 223 pro 5-PW
1/2+ longer 2° up
Modus 105 Stiff, soft stepped
(05/22)

Titleist SM7 50° 12F
Wedge flex (01/20)

Titleist SM7 54° 08M
Wedge flex (01/20)

Titleist SM7 58° 08M
Wedge flex (01/20)

Odyssey Stroke Lab Seven
Super Stroke Tour 2.0 (07/21)