Winter Temporary greens

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
we go on to temps when its frozen, not problem with that. Its winter and winter golf when the course is frozen anyway is a bit of a lottery.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Any actual pictures of these foot prints that are allegedly left in greens when you play on them when frozen.

That would sway me one way or the other.

I played on proper frozen greens before and its pointless as the ball just bounces like its concrete.

I played two days ago and it was frozen under the surface as it was rock hard fixing pitch marks but was perfectly playable.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Any actual pictures of these foot prints that are allegedly left in greens when you play on them when frozen.

That would sway me one way or the other.

I played on proper frozen greens before and its pointless as the ball just bounces like its concrete.

I played two days ago and it was frozen under the surface as it was rock hard fixing pitch marks but was perfectly playable.

No photo's but Ive seen plenty of the black marks left. i walk my dogs across a local parkland course, plenty of others do as as well, but most unlike me don't bother walking around the greens. last week when we had a fair few cold days when it was frozen, when it thawed, you could see the trails of black foot prints across quite a few greens

D

Deleted member 15344

As Need my Wedge says the only time we move off greens to temps will be if they can't cut a new hole after the 5 days of hard frost

He is happy to have the main greens on all the time and they have been for the last three winters - of course all those profession greenkeeprs in the bar still think he is wrong and ruining the greens yet it appears with his thinking we have some of the best greens I played on last year and can only see them getting better.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
No photo's but Ive seen plenty of the black marks left. i walk my dogs across a local parkland course, plenty of others do as as well, but most unlike me don't bother walking around the greens. last week when we had a fair few cold days when it was frozen, when it thawed, you could see the trails of black foot prints across quite a few greens

So are these footprints still there now?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
ours are never on temps, we dont have them, but if its frozen solid golf is still as pointless as if it was imo, wont be long till the weather starts to improve :)

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
We've played recently when they've been frozen solid but I was told that the problem occurs when they partially thaw. Apparently, when the top surface thaws and deeper down the roots are still frozen then a ball thudding in to the green will often break the root from the grass and the healing process takes much longer

This ^^^

I was discussing tmp greens with our head pro at the weekend as it was frozen hard and we're still on full greens and tees. as explained to me, he follows the advice of our head greenkeeper, who never went off full greens at his previous course. The only time we'll go to temp greens is if the ground is too hard to cut a new hole to move to. With regards to damage of grass, he explained that when frozen hard, it's no issue, it may break a blade of grass ot two, but doesn't damage the actual root, the problem comes when it starts to thaw and there is a soft cover on top but the root is still frozen. This apparently can cause damage to the root.

I don't know how "scientific" that response was, but I'm no gardener, let alone greenkeeper, so am happy to go by his lead. If he says we go to temp greens, then that's where we go. We've been fortunate thus far, that for the three winters he's been with us, we haven't been off our greens for frost, and have had fantastic greens through the summer. Too be frank, they are in bloody good condition now as well, despite being a little firm.

And this ^^^

We stay on greens if fully frozen but have temps when partially thawed. Or when very wet which causes unevenness and damage to the sub base if too many heavy baskets like me keep plodding over them.

As an aside, all our greens are permanently maintained with a big front fringe - upon which we set our temp positions - giving us a reasonably decent winter green. We never have a patch of "cut fairway". Is this common elsewhere.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
We stay on full greens all year. Used to be on temps but after a trial period it was decided no damage was done and hence normal greens were used.

We are fortunate in having big greens - nearly all are 2 clubs front to back - so the greenkeepers can move things around to prevent too much wear in a concentrated area.

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In the dozen or so years I have been playing we have never had a temp green in play on our course. No idea if it has done any damage or not.

macca64

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
We've played recently when they've been frozen solid but I was told that the problem occurs when they partially thaw. Apparently, when the top surface thaws and deeper down the roots are still frozen then a ball thudding in to the green will often break the root from the grass and the healing process takes much longer
Just wot our green keeper says,

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
One reason that we go onto temporary greens when they are frozen is that our greens are small - and as in winter play is condensed into the shortened weekend days this concentration of players on our small greens is considered likely to be significantly detrimental to them. Besides. Our temps are cunning. And it's winter golf. So a bit of fun.

That said I've got a Winter League K/O match tomorrow morning - always interesting playing matches on temp greens as I find them to be a real leveller. I'm giving two shots so expect to be OK.

FuzzyDuck

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We had a strange one today, started on temp greens with the hole just off the front of the green. We teed off on the par 4 8th and my partner hit a near perfect shot just to the right of the green with a simple chip to the flag. Halfway down the fairway the greenskeeper turned up and moved the flag to the back of the green, meaning my partner now had to chip over the bunker, and you guessed it, he managed to put it in the bunker instead.

Is there a rule that any hole started should be completed before the flag position is changed?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
We had a strange one today, started on temp greens with the hole just off the front of the green. We teed off on the par 4 8th and my partner hit a near perfect shot just to the right of the green with a simple chip to the flag. Halfway down the fairway the greenskeeper turned up and moved the flag to the back of the green, meaning my partner now had to chip over the bunker, and you guessed it, he managed to put it in the bunker instead.

Is there a rule that any hole started should be completed before the flag position is changed?

Hate it when they do that!!

Our 18th is a par 5, we were one down, I hit a great drive and a better iron shot to the winter green that almost went in,but was a sure fire 3. Along comes a green keeper,moves the flag back onto the green some 90 yards away:(

Knobs