Winter rules

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
The county association allows us to go to preferred lies from 1st October. Which we do - mainly because of the combination of worm casts and general dampness of the ground means the ball is continually picking up gobbets of mud as it rolls. If only we could do away with the worms, we'd be fine.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
No. It is against the spirit and intent of the system to adjust the Terms of Competition deliberately, so that it is rendered non-qualifying on a technicality. Unions have a duty to ensure that Affiliated Clubs discharge their responsibilities in full. Sanctions may be taken against any party that does not observe either the spirit or intent of the system.

I understand that is the rule in theory, but how does it work in practice?

I live in the central belt in Scotland and am surrounded by parkland courses which are largely clay underneath and therefore they generally get pretty wet thru the winter. I have dozens of clubs nearby and there will not be a single qualifying comp held by any of them thru the winter, and it's been like that here for as long as I've been a club member in this area.

In my club's case, the winter tees are not a measured course and last winter, all bunkers were GUR. The winter course not being measured is the norm in these parts.

Last edited:

arnieboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
We have been on preferred lies all year due to the battering the course took last year, authorised by whichever organisation it is that gives permission.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We had finals day today and traditionally go to winter rules the day after. I have heard rumours the captain is wanting to wait until 1st November but I think conditions and green keeper advice may bring that forward

hines57

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Winter rules came in on October 1st at our place and a good thing too. Worm casts in particular mean mud on the ball and it's good to be able to get rid of that!!

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Winter rules came in on October 1st at our place and a good thing too. Worm casts in particular mean mud on the ball and it's good to be able to get rid of that!!
You don't need "winter rules/preferred lies" to handle that.
There is a specific Local Rule (E-2) permitting lifting, cleaning and replacing the ball at any time of the year. It does not affect qualifying scores provided it is restricted to the fairway.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You don't need "winter rules/preferred lies" to handle that.
There is a specific Local Rule (E-2) permitting lifting, cleaning and replacing the ball at any time of the year. It does not affect qualifying scores provided it is restricted to the fairway.

Our committee discussed having that local rule and decided against it because we felt it would be too open to abuse.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes, I have heard that before. But then the committees often put preferred lies (LCP) in force, which simply allows players to do legally what would have been illegal under LCR (like taking the ball out of a divot hole).

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't know is the simple answer, I just know it happens. I haven't really thought about why. The white, medal, tees are taken off but we run comps off yellows anyway so that is not it. We certainly go on to preferred lies, is that enough to cause it?

I quite like it to be honest. It's a chance to practise parts of my game out on the course without the threat of a handicap increase. It's a free hit in effect, no tension.
At my course the competitions continue all winter with preferred lies and white tees. I have no concept of 'non-qualifying' comps as I don't think we have any.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Something not mentioned before.

To permit the UHS to operate as intended, all competitions should be run, whenever possible, as Qualifying Competitions. A number of dispensations for winter play have been granted by CONGU® to encourage this, including preferred lies and use of artificial mats.

Last edited: