Winter League at your club

Redtraveller

Club Champion
Visit site
Quick question.
Our winter league starts next weekend 1st/2nd October. It will be on a winter course (shorter). For me, I think this is a waste of a month as you often get some decent weather in October and it feels like we arent getting the worth of the full course.
So, when does your winter league start?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We do not have one. We just continue our normal comp schedule all year except that all comps become Stableford after the the last medal which is on the 1st sat in October.

Our winter Sunday 4BBB Open knockout starts first Sunday in October.

We only go to a short course if weather conditions dictate it's necessity.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Quick question.
Our winter league starts next weekend 1st/2nd October. It will be on a winter course (shorter). For me, I think this is a waste of a month as you often get some decent weather in October and it feels like we arent getting the worth of the full course.
So, when does your winter league start?

I’d agree, I think there’s at least 4 weeks left of qualifying comps off the tips at our place, unless the weather takes a monumental turn for the worse.

Our winter series starts at the end of October, looking forward to it tbh, some fun formats in here. 892347CC-222A-4A67-B07F-39BD45C32939.jpeg

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
2nd October our first matches take place.

I haven’t received the full details yet but I think there will be around 8 groups with the top two pairs going through to the knockouts with the rest playing for the plate.

Was really looking forward to it until I learnt my PP shot his best ever round in a medal yesterday and has been dropped 3 shots. He’s gone from 14.6 to 12 ?

badgergm

Visit site
Last proper comp (qualifier) is 22nd Oct. winter league (12 holes) after that. 4bbb. Not for me - will play occasionally when weather is decent but will do other things in winter.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Our club stopped the Winter League last season as it was getting too popular and I suspect to some extent it’s because the Saturday roll ups complained that the times were being filled by people playing in the league.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
We stopped our winter league as there wasn't an appetite for it and the last one was run pretty badly, so a perfect storm.
From Nov to Feb, we stop monthly medals and have a monthly stableford and monthly yellow tee stableford instead, which is fun.
We also have a SusKen winter league for the men's team and the winter singles, men's pairs and winter pairs knockouts.
Plenty of golf for me there!

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Winter League is 4BBB, shotgun start on Sunday Mornings from mid October on whatever course weather permits. We rarely have temp greens but some tees go on mats when required, then could stay in use till Spring
Our club is identical to this. I've never played in it, partly because I don't play on Sunday's but mostly because the rounds can take up to 5 hours, even on a short course.
The afternoon sessions are said to be legendary mind.

peld

Visit site
ours normally goes to winter tees mid october. I think our first WL is 9 October, and is usually played full course (albeit off yellows vs whites for a normal medal). After that we are normally on winter tees (occasionally a winter green or two)
Although the weather might be fine, they start to core the greens in a week or two, and the damper conditions start to impact tee boxes (especially non-driver holes))

peld

Visit site
ours normally goes to winter tees mid october. I think our first WL is 9 October, and is usually played full course (albeit off yellows vs whites for a normal medal). After that we are normally on winter tees (occasionally a winter green or two)
Although the weather might be fine, they start to core the greens in a week or two, and the damper conditions start to impact tee boxes (especially non-driver holes))

Our format is 4BBB, randomly drawn fourballs, shotgun start (well, we use about 4/5 different starting tees) on saturday morning

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Our "Winter league" doesnt start until 10th December!

Plenty of other "winter" events before then but full winter golf December onwards!