Winter Rules - Anyone on them?

xreyuk

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We've had the email saying we're on winter rules starting tomorrow. Seemed a touch early to me, but I suggest the hot weather in the summer, followed by the dumping of rain, they've introduced them early to allow some areas of the course to recover (some mats).

Anyone else on winter rules, and when did you go on them?

D

Deleted member 1147

Not on winter rules per se.
But we are placing on fairways at the moment because they’ve been scarified.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
We've been on winter rules since 1st September. Course is on London clay subsoil and the hot weather caused a lot of surface cracking (for which we had a temporary local rule anyway), and a lot of bare patches - which are generally being filled & seeded. So with County approval we went to preferred lies - we normally go there at start October so it's only a month early.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We aren't officially, but have been doing this in friendly games for the last month due to the conditions of the fairways. Not looking forward to the wetter months - even with preferred lies it'll be grim.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
We've had the email saying we're on winter rules starting tomorrow. Seemed a touch early to me, but I suggest the hot weather in the summer, followed by the dumping of rain, they've introduced them early to allow some areas of the course to recover (some mats).

Anyone else on winter rules, and when did you go on them?

The standard period for preferred lies is 1st October to 30th April. Other posters on this thread have pointed out that, in England, County Union approval must be sought if they are to be brought into use outside that period.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
The standard period for preferred lies is 1st October to 30th April. Other posters on this thread have pointed out that, in England, County Union approval must be sought if they are to be brought into use outside that period.
England Golf has given blanket approval to all clubs to introduce the local rule from 1 Oct without the county being involved.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
England Golf has given blanket approval to all clubs to introduce the local rule from 1 Oct without the county being involved.

Did you mean to put another date?

I am with Rosecott on this and have got Oct 1st as the allowable date as standard.

We have a comp on Friday the 28th and September and would intend to go to Preferred lies on the 1st October

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Talking of winter rules I see that from 1 January the requiremnt to mark the ball has been removed form the Allowable Local Rule.

Looks like another change that CONGU will have to make in the UHS.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Did you mean to put another date?

I am with Rosecott on this and have got Oct 1st as the allowable date as standard.
The CONGU manual does not specify dates as standard. The national union has to notify its area authorities of the date limits.

15.1 Each Union shall give directions to its Affiliated Clubs defining the period during which preferred lies may be used, if required.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
No but should be after the rain we’ve had.
Pulled out of the comp tomorrow Both handicap secretaries away so can’t implement any placing rules.
Pulled out of Wednesdays comp and opting to play a couple supplementaries on our secondary dryer course till they return in a couple of weeks.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
We’ve had pick and place on closely mown areas for a couple of weeks for social golf. Due to parts of the fairway still struggling to grow, This week we were given permission by the county to use it in comps too.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The CONGU manual does not specify dates as standard. The national union has to notify its area authorities of the date limits.

15.1 Each Union shall give directions to its Affiliated Clubs defining the period during which preferred lies may be used, if required.

I have now realised that and Dorset is 1st October.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
We were on placing for a couple of weeks, but this was removed for a board comp yesterday. The fairways do have bare patches though due to the hot summer.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Side question, this approval process. Does it involve a visit of any kind to the course to establish the validity of the request or is it simply sought and given sight unseen?