Winter Rules - Anyone on them?

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site
We've had the email saying we're on winter rules starting tomorrow. Seemed a touch early to me, but I suggest the hot weather in the summer, followed by the dumping of rain, they've introduced them early to allow some areas of the course to recover (some mats).

Anyone else on winter rules, and when did you go on them?

You need to join a new club. It's September ffs

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Side question, this approval process. Does it involve a visit of any kind to the course to establish the validity of the request or is it simply sought and given sight unseen?
Just a couple of phone calls, guy from County said we are best placed to make the call (y)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
No, but probably should be esp the 13th. Whole fairway has been hollow tinned from about 200 out, so you are heavily pen if you hit the fairway.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
We are, but the course is in pretty poor condition following that summer, which is why they've brought winter rules in early. As in, grass is a bit patchy, some areas of mud, other areas where the grass is a touch long as they've let it grow to recover.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Once we hit winter rules I don't see a fairway until March so was pleased to see I hit 8/12 on Saturday. No idea what effect the torrential rain had yesterday but there are so many big patches of bare ground still. Hoping the winter is kind and the courses can recover slowly over the winter and be ready for 2019.

xreyuk

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Can’t, this was the only private club in the area with 7 day membership available.

The other one is a resort and spa with an average round of 5 hours, and gets flooded at the mere mention of rain.

LCW

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Can’t, this was the only private club in the area with 7 day membership available.

The other one is a resort and spa with an average round of 5 hours, and gets flooded at the mere mention of rain.
Good old Formby Hall eh ;)

By process of elimination I'm going to guess you must be a member at Hesketh. Quite a good little course with some major changes happened on the 17th I believe due a pesky home owner :)

D

Deleted member 15717

just had the email we go on, as normal, from 1st October. Our winter rules are fairly different as we drain exceptionally well. We still use main tees and greens, just get the ability to prefer a lie on fairways and approaches

D

Deleted member 15344

What does the month have to do with it ?

Courses all over the country have suffered with a lack of growth and then you add downpours into it and courses suffers so many courses will have brought in "preffered lies".

Christ anytime it gets a bit soft the tour bring in pick and place

xreyuk

Assistant Pro
Visit site
just had the email we go on, as normal, from 1st October. Our winter rules are fairly different as we drain exceptionally well. We still use main tees and greens, just get the ability to prefer a lie on fairways and approaches

That’s what we are.

There’s a couple areas on tees and near bunkers than are GUR, but everything else is as normal, just pick & clean through the green.