Winter Plans

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Ok so we all know the cold dark days of Winter are on the horizon but what are everyones plans. Are you a mudlark who is out in all weather and in all conditions? Do you just pitch up for the club competitions? Are you one of the fair weather brigade? Do you retire to the driving range for the duration or hibernate completely?

Personally I like to play in the club competitions but on weekends where there aren't any I normally go to the range and work on specific things.

Some of you may know I have been having some lessons this Summer which has remodelled my swing completely and cut my handicap significantly. I plan to use the Winter to groove my new swing so it is solid and 100% trustworthy under pressure. I also have plans in place to work on my short game and shots from 100 yards in.

How are you planning to get through the Winter??

Happy golfing

Homer

simplyme

Head Pro
Visit site
I play in all weather, it's a good test of ability.

The main thing I like about the wetter greens, is the ball stays on. My local course seems to be that quick at the moment, it's tricky to stop them dead from anything over a wedge.

chipin1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Last winter I decided to hit the range pretty regularly - at least once a week. The plan was just to work on the fundamentals, boring stuff like grip, alignment, posture etc.

It sounds boring but I soon that it was paying off. My accuracy and ball striking both improved and I'm sure that had a huge impact on a fairly successful summer for me.

I plan to do the same again this winter

swingstar1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I agree with simplyme, just keep on playing

rounds take a lot less time with all the fair weather golfers at home

just remember your hipflask

stevelockie

Head Pro
Visit site
Goals for the winter are to keep grooving recent swing changes, but most importantly to get my short game improved, I need to be better from 120 yards in!

Mowgli

Hacker
Visit site
i am an all weather player so will be playing throughtout the winter and also working on the short game which i dont think you can practice enough.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
COnsidering the weather this summer I am not expecting the conditions to be much different over the winter months.

golfdonkey

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sun in my eyes, concrete greens, fingers so numb you can't tell whether you're holding the club or not, dew drops on the nose, scorecards so wet they turn into sludge. Can't wait!

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Homer, you are bang on target. We used to say "practice more, play less" if you want to get better......the winter is the time for this.
ALSO, and this may just be me......the winter is a good time to sort out your course management. If you get into the habit of using certain clubs off certain tees and navigating the long holes (without the summer roll/run!) then come next May, you'll be ready to enjoy the bonus of extra distance and hitting one less iron to those pesky par 3s.
Dave

MacMachattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm definitely going to be working on my short game through the winter. I'm terrible at denying I've got a problem with it but two duffs and a thin in my last round suggests otherwise. Going to try and visit the practice chipping area at my club at least once a week through winter.

Who am I kidding? I'll get down the club, have a chat with the pro go in for a quick beer and a game of snooker then, before I know it, it'll be dark and time to go home.

Marko77

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
X Box 360 and Tiger Woods 08 looks like a good buy for the winter!!

Was playing on Wednesday and saw where they intend putting the winter greens (yes, they have left them late to mark them). Hopefully the climate will allow play on the main greens for as long as possible...I'll be out there though whatever format the course is playing as long as it is open that is.

Marko77

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Yes, the Kingsbarns 4ball for £240 will definately be getting a revisit if the fee is still applicable.

Can you advise of any others John?