Winter membership

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
This year I’ve got a list of drills that I planned to work on over the winter. Indoor and range drills. I thought this year I’d really make an effort to work on my swing systematically with dedication. The last two winters I’ve gone to the course once per week come rain or snow. And let’s be honest, swing practice is very limited on course.

A local course has now put a spanner in the works. £90 for 4 months full access. I’ve never been a member anywhere and this is a great deal. I know if I take it my practice regimen will go out the window!

I was curious as to how people felt about winter membership. Do you feel it worth it? I know that’s an individual circumstance thing. But generally do you feel it value for money, did you actually get to use it over the winter, or did it feel like a waste of time with fairway mats, temp greens and the cold 🥶 Looking back Would you rather have spent the time on the range practicing?

Ps just curious, not looking for anyone to make a decision on my behalf!

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Depends on where you live. Winter in southern England, definitely worth a punt. Winter in darkest northern Scotland, you might struggle to get your money's worth.

As for practicing with 4 layers on, no thanks.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I play all year round, and my course never uses mats. As for the range, I only go to keep the swing going when I really have to, and hit no more than 30 balls at a time.
Personally, its the course for me every time.

D

Deleted member 16999

This year I’ve got a list of drills that I planned to work on over the winter. Indoor and range drills. I thought this year I’d really make an effort to work on my swing systematically with dedication. The last two winters I’ve gone to the course once per week come rain or snow. And let’s be honest, swing practice is very limited on course.

A local course has now put a spanner in the works. £90 for 4 months full access. I’ve never been a member anywhere and this is a great deal. I know if I take it my practice regimen will go out the window!

I was curious as to how people felt about winter membership. Do you feel it worth it? I know that’s an individual circumstance thing. But generally do you feel it value for money, did you actually get to use it over the winter, or did it feel like a waste of time with fairway mats, temp greens and the cold 🥶 Looking back Would you rather have spent the time on the range practicing?

Ps just curious, not looking for anyone to make a decision on my behalf!
Is it a links course? If so, that will probably be great value.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Rudebhoy had one last year. He plays a lovely course but it has, perhaps now had, drainage issues in the winter. He joined a links course for this period and played throughout winter. Hopefully he will post in response at some point.

There are a few courses up here that drain brilliantly, don't close unless for snow and ice, and are well worth joing temporarily for winter golf if your own course is closed a lot, has temp greens etc.

In answer to your question it really depends what the course is like, does it stay open in all weathers, do you stay on regular greens, no mats etc. Personally I would not take a winter membership of a course that went Mickey Mouse over winter.

D

Deleted member 21258

I would take playing over practise, whether on a links, heathland or parkland etc.I like playing golf, including the walking, fresh air and playing. I play all year round in mud or not, play less in winter due to daylight hours but still play.

Assuming the course opens over winter, I would go for membership and play.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I would take playing over practise, whether on a links, heathland or parkland etc.I like playing golf, including the walking, fresh air and playing. I play all year round in mud or not, play less in winter due to daylight hours but still play.

Assuming the course opens over winter, I would go for membership and play.
this all day long..

Golf is playing golf not hitting balls on a range.

D

Deleted member 16999

It’s a parkland course.
I’d check it out with members, it may be very wet in the winter, you coukd be lucky if we have a mild winter, but if it’s bad it may not be the deal you hoped for.

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
this all day long..

Golf is playing golf not hitting balls on a range.

I get that sure. And I agree. Caveat being my inconsistent swing and building a better one for the long term! If I could practice during the week AND play golf it’d be a no brainer. Trouble is I don’t know if I’ll be able to do both effectively.

I really love the course tho. Well, on full greens anyway.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Tend to play Saturdays in the roll up and use Sundays for hitting the practice ground/range as the whether dictates. That way I feel my swing is getting a run out once a week and I am working on parts of the game that needs work. The deal looks good on paper but would be course dependant and how well it drains, how much snowfall we get (and it being open) and how easy it is to get on and do you need to book a time each week (in which case it could be busy with members trying to book slots to make the most of the light and get their fix)

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Caveat being my inconsistent swing and building a better one for the long term! If I could practice during the week AND play golf it’d be a no brainer. Trouble is I don’t know if I’ll be able to do both effectively.

Problem I see with range practice is that you are sat in the one place, never moving or walking with the same lie with the mats lines. On the course is so much more beneficial in that each shot is seperate with a different lie and no mats to line up with rightly or wrongly. Plus because you're out and walking to the next shot, you play in a more normal pattern and pace so you don't start to speed up which often can happen at the range when youre stationary.

dronfield

Visit site
Greenburn golf club

Looks a nice course - full membership good value at £630pa. Says they are going to limit numbers to 300, and have nearly reached that figure - if you live close to course, might be worth considering.

Im a member of a parkland course and do try to play all year round, so if the course drains ok, winter membership is certainly worthwhile. I do also go to range once a week in winter.

Rich

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I get that sure. And I agree. Caveat being my inconsistent swing and building a better one for the long term! If I could practice during the week AND play golf it’d be a no brainer. Trouble is I don’t know if I’ll be able to do both effectively.

whats the point in building a swing for the future, play now and enjoy now, you improve at golf by playing golf