Winter membership

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I was a member there many years ago, if you stay local you'll get your monies worth, it has a medium size practice area and a couple of practice nets. Can be a bit foggy in the mornings but course is usually open most time through the winter

I live about 20 minutes away which isn’t bad. Downside is it’s on the far side of home so coming back from work I wouldn’t be able to just drop on for a sneaky practice. Would only get there once a week. I’ve a two year old so my evenings are precooked!

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
whats the point in building a swing for the future, play now and enjoy now, you improve at golf by playing golf

I don’t necessarily agree. If you’ve seen my previous post from a few months back I was ready to quit. Enjoyment hinges on having, at least, an ok game. Nothing enjoyable about paying your money and hitting seven balls into the woods from the first tee, duffing, hooking and slicing your way around the course.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I don’t necessarily agree. If you’ve seen my previous post from a few months back I was ready to quit. Enjoyment hinges on having, at least, an ok game. Nothing enjoyable about paying your money and hitting seven balls into the woods from the first tee, duffing, hooking and slicing your way around the course.
but if you are not a member anywhere anyway and just hit balls on a range, how is that helping you ??

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I go to two municipal courses. Only go to the range once every two weeks or so on average.

personally i don't like hitting balls at a range, for me playing golf is about playing on a course, i get enjoyment from playing, not hitting balls on a range. IMO they are two very different things, with a range there in no consequence for a bad shot, you always have a good lie and most of the time you are sheltered from the elements.

by all means go to a range to work on your swing or drills, but you would get better at golf by playing golf on a course

D

Deleted Member 1156

by all means go to a range to work on your swing or drills, but you would get better at golf by playing golf on a course
You won't get better on a course if you just keep repeating the same bad swing.
Better to work on your swing at the range.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Rudebhoy had one last year. He plays a lovely course but it has, perhaps now had, drainage issues in the winter. He joined a links course for this period and played throughout winter. Hopefully he will post in response at some point.

There are a few courses up here that drain brilliantly, don't close unless for snow and ice, and are well worth joing temporarily for winter golf if your own course is closed a lot, has temp greens etc.

In answer to your question it really depends what the course is like, does it stay open in all weathers, do you stay on regular greens, no mats etc. Personally I would not take a winter membership of a course that went Mickey Mouse over winter.

Drainage has improved a lot at our place, but even though it's not the mud bath it used to be, they have fairway protection on from November to March where you need to move your ball to the first cut of the rough, and also have winter greens on for most of that period, so it was a lot more enjoyable to play at a links course where there was none of that nonsense.

Saying that, we did have some very cold and windy rounds (understatement). Didn't bother me massively, but some softer types would have hated it!

But the main reason it worked well for us is that neither me or the lad who joined with me have to work for a living any more, so we could pick and choose which days to play. If you are stuck in the Monday - Friday rat race, then realistically you are only going to play weekends, and that reduces your chances of getting decent weather to play in.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Drainage has improved a lot at our place, but even though it's not the mud bath it used to be, they have fairway protection on from November to March where you need to move your ball to the first cut of the rough, and also have winter greens on for most of that period, so it was a lot more enjoyable to play at a links course where there was none of that nonsense.

Saying that, we did have some very cold and windy rounds (understatement). Didn't bother me massively, but some softer types would have hated it!

But the main reason it worked well for us is that neither me or the lad who joined with me have to work for a living any more, so we could pick and choose which days to play. If you are stuck in the Monday - Friday rat race, then realistically you are only going to play weekends, and that reduces your chances of getting decent weather to play in.

And not having to work means you get plenty of opportunity to get your money's worth from the winter membership.

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site

That’s the main sticking point for me. Temp greens and fairway mats I don’t like, but could tolerate if I was getting there more than once per week.

I’m airing toward using the money to practice at the range with some rounds at the local municipal in between.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
That’s the main sticking point for me. Temp greens and fairway mats I don’t like, but could tolerate if I was getting there more than once per week.

I’m airing toward using the money to practice at the range with some rounds at the local municipal in between.
A few of my old mates were long time members at Greenburn but left just a few years ago and joined Shotts, seemingly they got a better deal.
Do you live/work nearer Glasgow or Edinburgh ?

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
A few of my old mates were long time members at Greenburn but left just a few years ago and joined Shotts, seemingly they got a better deal.
Do you live/work nearer Glasgow or Edinburgh ?

No I’m on the Edinburgh side of Greenburn. Closer to Harburn but I monitor their course/green closures from their Facebook and the slightest bit of rain and it’s temp greens!

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
No I’m on the Edinburgh side of Greenburn. Closer to Harburn but I monitor their course/green closures from their Facebook and the slightest bit of rain and it’s temp greens!
TBF, most parkland courses in central Scotland will have the same problems. But as others have said £90 is great value for 4 months full course use and practice access. Greenburn are a friendly bunch and will welcome you into their sweeps/ roll ups etc
There might be some competitions still to be played and a chance to get some cards in for a handicap, maybe even a reduced the fee for next year . (y)

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
You won't get better on a course if you just keep repeating the same bad swing.
Better to work on your swing at the range.

So repeating the same bad swing on the range is more beneficial than doing it on the course? Could easily be argued it does more lasting damage repeatedly doing it on the range.

Lessons and practice are the way to get consistency and improvement.

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
So repeating the same bad swing on the range is more beneficial than doing it on the course? Could easily be argued it does more lasting damage repeatedly doing it on the range.

Ummm. Not if you’re practicing in a systematic and purposeful way. Can’t really do that on the course during a normal round. The point is rectify the swing on the range not simply to replace the course for the range.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Ummm. Not if you’re practicing in a systematic and purposeful way. Can’t really do that on the course during a normal round. The point is rectify the swing on the range not simply to replace the course for the range.

Why can you not? Do you take a practice swing?

Practice swing concentrate on "position" or "feel" then execute. No substitute for taking your practice onto the course otherwise you will never know how you are progressing.

D

Deleted Member 1156

You can work on your swing at the range but I don't know of any courses that will allow you 50 attempts to get a shot right.

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
I did this when I first joined. £200 for September through to the end of march. Had a full membership the year after.

Suits me because I often only have time for 9 holes and if I chose to pay and play I would still have to pay full price at most courses

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Why can you not? Do you take a practice swing?

Practice swing concentrate on "position" or "feel" then execute. No substitute for taking your practice onto the course otherwise you will never know how you are progressing.

Drive4show has already answered but just to add. You practice your swing, get your reps in, then take it to the course and see how it’s progressing.

jamiet7682

Visit site
Just signed up for the winter membership at Mearns Castle, if I play more than 5 rounds between now and March I will have had my moneys worth, already played 1 and have 2 booked in this week, although will probably only get a few holes in midweek.