Winning Gross Scores in Texas

• Thread starter Deleted member 21258
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 21258

Interested to hear, what these normally are like ? (played plenty society ones before but never an open based one)

Entered a 4 ball texas scramble open and not seen such low gross scoring from mid-handicap teams before.

There were two gross scores of 60, one 61, us with 62, two 63s etc, out of only 25 teams.

(ignoring the new handicap basis, seem a bit generous we would have had to shot a gross 55 to win, with two 1 handicappers, one 10 and a 32ish handicapper, so never going to happen :LOL:) And not really interested in handicap calculations, as they are what they are tbh and winning net was 49.5.:eek:

Interested in whats the normal gross scoring on Texas opens you enter/see and what is the range of handicappers in those low gross scoring teams ?

cheers.

D

Deleted member 21258

snip
Won by 7;)

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

We ended up middle of the pack at 12th in the net scores(56.2), net scores went 49.5-59.6. Gross were 60-74.

PS good gross scoring with those handicappers btw (y), sounds like gross scoring is lower than I have seen before at society and club events, when normally a few under par with mid handicappers is pretty good.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

We ended up middle of the pack at 12th in the net scores(56.2), net scores went 49.5-59.6. Gross were 60-74.

PS good gross scoring with those handicappers btw (y), sounds like gross scoring is lower than I have seen before at society and club events, when normally a few under par with mid handicappers is pretty good.
Kind of surprised Fragger hasn’t told the world how he chipped in for a birdie...
Think I sunk 3 or 4 decent length birdie putts and the 9 had a kick in after his Eagle chip hit the flag and stayed up by 3 inches...

D

Deleted member 15344

Think the lowest Gross score I have seen was in the recent one - one team was 16 under par for a 55 gross - they came 22nd

TexasLowHandiCap

Visit site
Interested to hear, what these normally are like ? (played plenty society ones before but never an open based one)

Entered a 4 ball texas scramble open and not seen such low gross scoring from mid-handicap teams before.

There were two gross scores of 60, one 61, us with 62, two 63s etc, out of only 25 teams.

(ignoring the new handicap basis, seem a bit generous we would have had to shot a gross 55 to win, with two 1 handicappers, one 10 and a 32ish handicapper, so never going to happen :LOL:) And not really interested in handicap calculations, as they are what they are tbh and winning net was 49.5.:eek:

Interested in whats the normal gross scoring on Texas opens you enter/see and what is the range of handicappers in those low gross scoring teams ?

cheers.

TexasLowHandiCap

Visit site
Being from Texas. I really don't like to play in Tournaments anymore. Why ? There are suppose to be an A,B,C,D Players. A player Tees off 300 yards right down the Middle, B player tees off. 310 right down the Middle. C player tees off. 290 right down the Middle. D player hits it in the Water. Best 4 man scramble I ever played. All the A players, B,C and D were all separated. The teams were all mixed up. That was Fair. In 1990 my Buds and I shot a 54 To win the Tournament. My thinking was different back then. The only way to beat Rats is to become One. That was my last Tournament.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
We played a texas scramble between 7 of us (team of 3 and a team of 4) at Silloth the other week.

I was in the 3 man team and we posted a gross 63. With handicaps ranging from 6 to 11.

The 4 man team posted a gross 62 with handicaps ranging from 10 to 28.

I don't know what the net scores would have been as we played it off scratch but I imagine you'd have to be shooting silly scores to win at that format.

D

Deleted member 3432

For me the issue isn't the winning score but one of how long did it take to get round?

Lost the will to live playing a two man one last week.

Never again.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Slightly different but I really want to play at least one texas scamble next year but they are quite difficult to find, particularly with Golf Empire changing their system.

Anybody know clubs that hold annual Open Texas scrambles for four man teams ideally England or reasonable to travel from Midlands. Unlikely to take any prizes so you don't need to hold back on recommendations ;-) Thanks

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
We have played two mixed gender scrambles this year. 1 Texas, 1 Florida. 8 & 10 teams. The winning scores have been 60 with countbacks. Except for a couple of 'freak' 70s the rest have been mid/low 60s. Seems to have worked for us.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I played a senior 3 man one at an away course recently. Each person had to get a minimum of 5 drives in. We were taking drives from odd places to make sure the weakest player got his drives in early.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I played a senior 3 man one at an away course recently. Each person had to get a minimum of 5 drives in. We were taking drives from odd places to make sure the weakest player got his drives in early.

That's the element i like when you get down to the worse driver/player needing to get their drive away on a tight final hole to count :LOL:

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
For me the issue isn't the winning score but one of how long did it take to get round?

Lost the will to live playing a two man one last week.

Never again.

Never liked it anyway but people used to ask as I’m the worst best player. I just turn up disinterested but because I don’t care as I find it a borefest I play well.

But I too have said never again and with WHS I can play elsewhere and play for handicap.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Played a 4 man TS up at Cruden Bay a couple of weeks ago. We came in with about a 55 thinking we stood a chance (par 70). Lost by almost 5 shots!!! Pretty eye opening, but the Grand Prize of a trip to Augusta probably "motivated" a few people to play really well.......... ;)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Played a 4 man TS up at Cruden Bay a couple of weeks ago. We came in with about a 55 thinking we stood a chance (par 70). Lost by almost 5 shots!!! Pretty eye opening, but the Grand Prize of a trip to Augusta probably "motivated" a few people to play really well.......... ;)
We had a similar augusta qualifier at my club last week. 53 points won ?. Unfortunately I can't see what the gross score was but it's still a bonkers score.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site

We also need 5 drives each, one of which has to be at a par 3 [ we only have 3 ]. We always try and get the weaker/shorter hitter's drives used ASAP.
My initials are usually on the 1st 5 holes :D .
Our 17th is the last par 3 , short downhill, but playing over OOB in front and on the right , trees on left side, bunkers left and right/
Our 18th is 360 yard uphill dogleg right, trees and bunkers left, OOB all the way up on the right.
Not the ideal tee to be standing on when your 5th drive is needed , squeaky bum time:eek::ROFLMAO:.
Our last 4 man open scramble was won with a 49, we scored 54.