Wilson entering premium golf ball market?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played several of the Wilson Premium balls in the past and currently

TX4 superb spin but you need good swing speed to get the best out of them
FG tours great all rounder with nice soft feel not as long lasting as some maybe 2 rounds at best
DX3 Urethane (currently used) really soft low compression Tour Spin levels.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Are you saying its a gimmick and I should cancel my order of 10 dozen!! :eek::eek:
I'm saying they've skipped painting them to save money on production, then made up some hogwash about it affecting flight so they can still charge 40 quid. :LOL:

Rick also said they look very grubby after only a couple of holes, especially on the seam. I don't think they'll be many people's cup of tea.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Are you saying its a gimmick and I should cancel my order of 10 dozen!! :eek::eek:
According to Rick, he'd change one every 3-4 holes so, assuming you didn't lose any, your 400 quid will last you about 25ish rounds...
The seam did look dodgy on the ones he hit...
I'll pass.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I like a Wilson Staff ball - but ill only be hitting the unpainted balls if I find one in the rough!!

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I'd have to say that I just see this as a gimmick. I don't see it as being a USP and the negatives outweigh the positives for me. The aesthetics of it getting grubby so quickly just puts me off.

On the Wilson FG Tour, this was a very highly rated ball and I remember it was a favourite on the old Golf Magic Forum in terms of bangs for the buck. There was much weeping and gnashing of teeth when it was discontinued.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
James Robinson has done a review too

Remain unconvinced and definitely unconvinced at that price. For me it's another for the mid-range market like the Tour Soft and should be priced accordingly. I don't see what it brings to the table to make it a premium ball

IainP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
James Robinson has done a review too

Remain unconvinced and definitely unconvinced at that price. For me it's another for the mid-range market like the Tour Soft and should be priced accordingly. I don't see what it brings to the table to make it a premium ball
Being unconvinced is fine, but not sure that is a reasonable comparison. A two-piece ionomer ball and a four-piece urethane ball if I'm not mistaken.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Being unconvinced is fine, but not sure that is a reasonable comparison. A two-piece ionomer ball and a four-piece urethane ball if I'm not mistaken.

I take your point but there is nothing about this ball that seems to be shouting premium and I think it'll take a lot of PR work from Wilson to make any dent in the market. It'll definitely come down n price in my opinion and end up the top end of the mid-range perhaps nearer the Tour Speed which is urethane covered and comes in around £36 (or less)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I take your point but there is nothing about this ball that seems to be shouting premium and I think it'll take a lot of PR work from Wilson to make any dent in the market. It'll definitely come down n price in my opinion and end up the top end of the mid-range perhaps nearer the Tour Speed which is urethane covered and comes in around £36 (or less)
Yeah, it's four-piece urethane so they're chancing their arm and pricing it the same as the other top urethane balls - unfortunately Wilson doesn't have the name to compete with Titleist, Callaway or TaylorMade so it will crash and burn. It probably is a good ball but no one will choose it over another established premium name.

evemccc

Visit site
FG Tour was a good ball, a tad short if I remember but much cheaper than ProVs et al. Came out in 2014 or thereabouts
Wilson were a really big name in golf, not sure when it went wrong but they went from producing irons for Tour players to making starter sets.
Brand is recovering and they've been making good stuff for some years now.
I think they still suffer from being labelled as a lesser brand, along the lines of Slazenger ( once another top brand)

I think Faldo used Wilson clubs during his first Masters win (at least) and Padraig also did I think. At least he does now in his YouTube videos

Wilson always was (is?) THE brand in tennis as was Slazenger in their day.
Funny how perceptions of brands can change over the years and across sports eg I would have never bought any Nike golf equipment..despite that some say it was good
I decided to play Bridgestone balls because in my head, as primarily a huge rubber company, i convinced myself it ‘should’ have far greater R+D spend than other golf firms

Whether this is true or not I have no idea...but I now like the Bridgestone balls enough to continue with them

Last edited: