Wilson entering premium golf ball market?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Got an email advertising these today: Wilson Staff Model R

Surprised to see them priced as high as 40 quid, same as the Chrome Soft and Z-Stars. And their unique selling point? Not bothering to paint them - as uneven paint can affect ball flight. Sort of reminds me of when Mars marketed their bars as having less calories having simply made them smaller. :LOL: But anyway - can't see them selling well at this price, can you? I'm not sure people will accept a Wilson as a premium ball really. I think they're most well known for their cheap soft ball offerings.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
They’ve been in the “premium” market for years, one of their best was the FG Tour, I’m not sure they take much of that market, but competeing at the top level isn’t a new venture for them.
Not heard of that ball, nor do I recall anybody using it. ??‍♂️

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Not going to work for those who like their white golf balls white, not murky grey, however they perform.
Also, why not get a better painting process if yours is so bad.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
FG Tour was a good ball, a tad short if I remember but much cheaper than ProVs et al. Came out in 2014 or thereabouts
Wilson were a really big name in golf, not sure when it went wrong but they went from producing irons for Tour players to making starter sets.
Brand is recovering and they've been making good stuff for some years now.
I think they still suffer from being labelled as a lesser brand, along the lines of Slazenger ( once another top brand)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not going to work for those who like their white golf balls white, not murky grey, however they perform.
Yeah I wondered that - surely they would appear much duller and maybe even make them easier to lose if they're less visible. Also you'd have thought skipping the paintjob would make them cheaper wouldn't you?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
They’ve been in the “premium” market for years, one of their best was the FG Tour, I’m not sure they take much of that market, but competeing at the top level isn’t a new venture for them.
this, i tried them when they came out TBH they were much shorter than a Prov 1, but cheaper.

The Fader

Visit site
Loved the Wilson FG Tour ball. Comparable performance (for me anyway) with other premium balls.

My only issue was that they lost their brilliant white colour very quickly.

Perhaps this new ball is just accelerating the discolouring timeline!!!:ROFLMAO:

However not sure there will be many takers at £40 / dozen. I would expect to see them discounted to c. £24.99 pretty quickly at which point if they are as good as the FG Tour I would probably give them a go.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
FG Tour was a good ball, a tad short if I remember but much cheaper than ProVs et al. Came out in 2014 or thereabouts
Wilson were a really big name in golf, not sure when it went wrong but they went from producing irons for Tour players to making starter sets.
Brand is recovering and they've been making good stuff for some years now.
I think they still suffer from being labelled as a lesser brand, along the lines of Slazenger ( once another top brand)
Wilson 'passed' on the battles for equipment dominance in Golf that Callaway, TaylorMade et al generated. It may have been their particular circumstances at the time - as they are now a susidiary of a subsidiary of a huge Chinese company. They now/still seem to be No1 in Tennis though - something they had been concentrating on maintaining, at least according to the rep I had a few chats with - in 3 different countries!
Their Killer Whale Driver (as used by John Daly) was my first 'big-headed' (275cc!:LOL:) Driver.

D

Deleted member 16999

Strange thing is, I’ve just read a review from 2015 on the FG Tour and that review also mentions the balls being “off white” I wonder if it’s how Wilson prefer it as it does seem strange to have the same comment 5 years later.?‍♂️

D

Deleted member 1147

Back in the early and mid 90’s they made some really good balls.

The Wilson Ultra Competition was a good ball at a much lower price than the Titleist Professional 90/100’s

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Be interesting to see if these are genuinely effective.

Personally reckon there is something in the not bothering to paint the ball... ultimately how many brand new balls do you retire because they are beaten up. They're more likely to be carved into the hay or a nearby field.

You'd imagine these would be cheaper, rather than more expensive than other balls. But I guess everything has to be reassuringly expensive these days.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Be interesting to see if these are genuinely effective.

Personally reckon there is something in the not bothering to paint the ball... ultimately how many brand new balls do you retire because they are beaten up. They're more likely to be carved into the hay or a nearby field.

You'd imagine these would be cheaper, rather than more expensive than other balls. But I guess everything has to be reassuringly expensive these days.
While they will lack the potential damages to the paint layer, the Golf Spy review suggests they get grubbier quicker due to the lack of protective cover that you normally get, so much of a muchness in the end. I don't think they'll sell many at £40 - down to £35 and they have half a chance. Probably even 30 is best bet.

Bridgestone don't paint any of their urethane balls.
They do have a thin protective clear coat but no paint.
Yeah they mentioned that in the Golf Spy article. Another tick for Bridgestone when I'd already decided to go for them next year. (y)