Dunlop DP1 V3 Ball ....Your Pro V1 Alternative...

Richuk123

Head Pro
Visit site
....ok all, just here me out on this one.

It has the same type of cover as the ProV1, the same 3-piece construction and a very similar dimple pattern..... you key difference ?? about £20-£30 in price , per dozen, depending where you buy them....oh, and the fact it has Dunlop stamped on it.

Sure, as my signature states, and previous posts, have been a champion for a brand that , thanks to help from Mike Ashley, are starting to buck there ideas up and are make a genuine effort to hit the mid brand sector of golf. I have never been the remotest bit interested in their balls however, but while having a nose last week in my local sports direct i saw these , selling for £20 per dozen. My first thought was £20 for Dunlop Golf Balls!??!!??!?!, so a quick blast on google and read the tech specs and thought, why not.

These are soft, durable, offer great feel and a cracking flight.

If, like me, you only are willing to use Pro V1's if A. You find them OR B. Win them in a 2's sweep, given these a whirl. they are the best ball for the price i have used in the 19 years of playing and i am happy to take abuse when on the tee i say im using a "Dunlop"

Better than the popular AD333, Callaway SuperSoft, DT Solo, NXT Tour and DX Soft (and i'd go as far as saying there better than the Z-Star)

**i now await the handbags :lol::D **

D

Deleted member 15344

So how is the job with Dunlop going :D

Sorry but the rest of Dunlop stuff is poor quality from what i have witnessed so will give it a miss - they are very cheap for a reason.

CheltenhamHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The 333 is a very good ball, and has been since its 2005 release, i like the ball a lot but the DP1 is by far softer and spins better, and only £5 a dozen more. Worth a punt

Rich, Homer was referring to the new AD333 tour, whichh is a 3 piece and spins well, i think. Prob similar to the dunlop I imagine?

Richuk123

Head Pro
Visit site
So how is the job with Dunlop going :D

Sorry but the rest of Dunlop stuff is poor quality from what i have witnessed so will give it a miss - they are very cheap for a reason.

Love a Job with them, wouldn't have to pay for anything again!! :D:D

There "premium" stuff is all bought online, and not put in the stores ,other than these balls. The NZ9 Mk irons are super, i have used many a set over the years and i find them very playable. like yourself, being a single figure golfer, we want all our gear to help knock a couple more shots of our game, and hand on heart i like the gear i use and my target of 4 come the end of the season is very achievable with what i have.

But yes, most the stuff in the store isn't the best, but i guess it is like that for a reason (just look how tidy the stores are)

malek988

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
i currently game these, theyre bloody awsome, i found one, n decided to try it having read about them, otherwise i would have thrown it back in the rough.

i usually play the x2hot+ or ad333 but these were £15, bargin

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I love these joke threads. They relieve the intensity if the serious ones.

Dunlop used to be a great brand. Aussie Blades were great irons used by many great players and their golf balls were as good as any. Slazenger was a great brand too. I had the Seve blades.

RIP.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

Dunlop used to be a great brand. Aussie Blades were great irons used by many great players and their golf balls were as good as any. Slazenger was a great brand too. I had the Seve blades.

RIP.

the forged Bob Charles irons for me....ah, the memories :)

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I've said it before - Dunlop have to make people believe their gear is as good as, if not better than, the big name brands to make any headway.
If their "good" clubs are only available online how are people supposed to try them?
The quality of the in store clubs is poor - why should we think their "good" stuff is any better?
Dunlop have an image issue - Big time!!

This ball may be as good as a ProV but even at 1\10 the of the price they wouldn't sell many.
If Dunlop really want to break into the mainstream they have to stop making the rubbish clubs/balls and concentrate on quality. Even that may not work.

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have a pack of the DP1 original version. Same three piece design but a little firmer than the V3. Feel a little hard off the putter but a great ball for £13 and if it wasn't for the fact blemish FG Tours are the same price I'd say they are better than most other balls in the price bracket.

Seem to have really pulled out the stops with the V3.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

RIP.

I had a set of Slazenger B51 irons and they were so nice as were the Dunlop Aussie blades. A shame both Slazenger and Dunlop went from the market place as they really did know how to make good irons. These days the stuff they put their name to is nowhere near as good as the orignals

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
I recently picked up a box of these. They are great off the tee, have decent feel around greens and even stop with a well struck wedge…… but they are horrid off the putter face. They remind me of Nike Soft feel balls with a putter, just feel far too soft. You've got to give them a real clout to get them rolling. Not a fan of that feeling, into the practice bag 11 balls go.

John_R7

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I agree with many above. FG Tour blemish are a great buy at around £14 but I also have and play (original) DP1. The new version could hopefully be even better, although last years original is good.
I am perfectly willing to play Dunlop balls. I have 'researched' before and cannot remember exact details but I think that Dunlop & Srixon will actually be made in the same factory based on my theory:-
Dunlop Rubber was bought out by Sumitomo Rubber Industries many years ago.
Sumitomo then began looking at golf balls and called that branch SRI, added an X that means something and an ON for something else.
End result is Sumitomo make balls under SRIXON but as a parent company also own Dunlop Rubber.

My gut feel is all the balls will come from the same factory.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I agree with many above. FG Tour blemish are a great buy at around £14 but I also have and play (original) DP1. The new version could hopefully be even better, although last years original is good.
I am perfectly willing to play Dunlop balls. I have 'researched' before and cannot remember exact details but I think that Dunlop & Srixon will actually be made in the same factory based on my theory:-
Dunlop Rubber was bought out by Sumitomo Rubber Industries many years ago.
Sumitomo then began looking at golf balls and called that branch SRI, added an X that means something and an ON for something else.
End result is Sumitomo make balls under SRIXON but as a parent company also own Dunlop Rubber.

My gut feel is all the balls will come from the same factory.

That may have been the case many years ago, but Dunlop (and Slazenger) as a brand has been spread all over the place - both in tires and in sports products! Sumitomo own the brand in Japan; it's jointly owned with Sports Direct in USA and 100% owned by Sports Direct in pretty much the rest of the world. In Aus and NZ it's owned by a separate company - that used to be the distributor. The Maxfli brand is owned by by Dick's - a massive US golf + outlet - though TM still own the Noodle sub-brand! It's probably that Srixon make Dunlop balls that are available through Sports Direct outlets though. What quality? - who knows. Dunlop has had an image problem for a while in Golf, even without the Sports Direct one!

These days the stuff they put their name to is nowhere near as good as the orignals

It's not so much what they put their name to as what their name is put to! Dunlop (and Slazenger) used to make the best Tennis racquets - both wooden and graphite! Steffi Graaf and her old man Andre certainly won a few Grand Slams with them - and Navratilova actually used one made to look like (her racquet supplier/sponsor) Yonex!

DannyOT

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I bought a pack of Dunlop nz9 v3 balls from sports direct a few weeks again. I had some DDH balls, some ad333s and some next tour balls so I thought I would compare. The Dunlop nz9 balls feel much better than the DDH balls and much more like the other. Not bad at all for £6.99 a dozen.

Richuk123

Head Pro
Visit site
I've said it before - Dunlop have to make people believe their gear is as good as, if not better than, the big name brands to make any headway.
If their "good" clubs are only available online how are people supposed to try them?
The quality of the in store clubs is poor - why should we think their "good" stuff is any better?
Dunlop have an image issue - Big time!!

This ball may be as good as a ProV but even at 1\10 the of the price they wouldn't sell many.
If Dunlop really want to break into the mainstream they have to stop making the rubbish clubs/balls and concentrate on quality. Even that may not work.

A well balanced post and all of it spot on. All I did was throw out my view on the ball and I've taken a bit of flak. I'm happy to use it, better than some premium balls I've used BUT Dunlop have an image problem and they need to find a way to get the better stuff out there.

I took punts on their "top end" stuff and have been surprised with how good the results have been. Was a risk as these sticks have no resale value due to the brand but I am happy with them.

Someone asked me "how can someone at your standard use a cheap brand like this?" ..... There is the image problem again combined with with lack of any testing facility for them, time to franchise out into some golf clubs/ranges.