Will you play if we're allowed

Will you play in lockdown?

• Total voters

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
That you take that stand point is of course up to you, but shouldn't be confused with what's within the law or not. Glad we could clear that up. (y)
I believe the intention is that we can travel by car to exercise when there is no safe or reasonable alternative. The risk is in the car journey and what car journeys can entail (stopping to refuel, risk of breakdown/accident etc). I have a park at the top of my road. I do not need to drive to my golf club to exercise - therefore I consider the law indicating to me that as I do not need to drive to exercise I therefore should not.

Anyway - we'll see. I'll make my final decision when I see what is passed in the HoC.

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I believe the intention is that we can travel by car to exercise when there is no safe or reasonable alternative. The risk is in the car journey and what car journeys can entail (stopping to refuel, risk of breakdown/accident etc). I have a park at the top of my road. I do not need to drive to my golf club to exercise - therefore I consider the law indicating to me that as I do not need to drive to exercise I therefore should not.

Anyway - we'll see. I'll make my final decision when I see what is passed in the HoC.
You're reading into something which isn't there. Much like golf rules state what they mean to state, if something was prohibited, it would be mentioned. That it's not means it isn't.

You are completely with your right to drive to play golf, if the course is open, there isn't an underlying message suggesting you shouldn't . If the course is open of course.

That said, if you don't want to drive there, that's perfectly fine too, and noone can say anything against you for it. Some will want to, others will not.

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
In regards to the OP I think the better question would be, who wouldn't play golf if the rules are relaxed and we can play as 2 balls?....

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
A couple of weeks ago I read a couple of Bob Rotella books and made a promise to practice more this winter.

If courses and ranges are open I will definitely be out there!

jimbob.someroo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Relatively direct question about golf / tennis in Parliament just now to which Boris responded with essentially - "regrettably these activities will remain closed for the next 4 weeks"

Swango1980

Visit site
Relatively direct question about golf / tennis in Parliament just now to which Boris responded with essentially - "regrettably these activities will remain closed for the next 4 weeks"
Let us look at reality.

I go out for a walk to the local park. On the way, or in the park, many narrow paths. No doubt, I will end up within 2 metres of quite a few people during a 30 minute walk or so. Walking a blind corner, I may well bump into people coming the other way, etc. Kids running around, people chasing dogs, etc. Yet, we are all allowed to go out for a walk. And, I have no problem with that whatsoever.

I go out for a round of golf. I park in car park. At worst, there will be generally another 7 or so people in car park. Even if they park next to be, we are typically 2m apart when at our boots sorting our clubs. During the round, I never get touchy feely with anyone. We are always spread apart, especially when leaving the tee. I can't think of anything I touch that others touch during the course of a 3/4 hour round. Even if the course is rammed with 4 balls, that is a total of 72 people in a very large area (how many are in a much smaller public park on a Saturday afternoon?)

Since golf returned, I cannot think of a safer activity when leaving my house. As said above, just a normal walk in a park has a higher risk, let alone going grocery shopping. If I was a betting man, I suspect the government are rushing into every decision, and are actually pretty incompetent and clueless. I gave them so much more slack in March/April than many did. However, I am definitely becoming more and more critical now.

Del_Boy

Head Pro
Visit site
Any exercise can be done at home - there is no need to go out. The people who want to go for a run. Run on the spot at home. Is there a restriction that if you want a takeaway/ food from a supermarket you have to go to your nearest establishment? No so the argument about driving to a golf course is rubbish

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ever since the first lockdown ended in the main I have played first with the same one player and then with the same 3 players myself and two of the others are in what I would call the at risk category and we are all scrupulous about taking the correct precautions. If golf course were allowed to open that would not change.

No way would I break the government rules about playing though.

One of the main differences for me is that with my injuries I can maybe walk for about 30 minutes so I am only getting that much time each day in the fresh air which is good for my lungs. When I play golf I get 4+ hours in the fresh air becuese I use a buggy.

The other major aspect for me is the benefit for my mental health, under lock down I will goes days on end possibly a week or more without talking to another person, with the golf course open at least I get to talk to someone every other day.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Let us look at reality.

I go out for a walk to the local park. On the way, or in the park, many narrow paths. No doubt, I will end up within 2 metres of quite a few people during a 30 minute walk or so. Walking a blind corner, I may well bump into people coming the other way, etc. Kids running around, people chasing dogs, etc. Yet, we are all allowed to go out for a walk. And, I have no problem with that whatsoever.

I go out for a round of golf. I park in car park. At worst, there will be generally another 7 or so people in car park. Even if they park next to be, we are typically 2m apart when at our boots sorting our clubs. During the round, I never get touchy feely with anyone. We are always spread apart, especially when leaving the tee. I can't think of anything I touch that others touch during the course of a 3/4 hour round. Even if the course is rammed with 4 balls, that is a total of 72 people in a very large area (how many are in a much smaller public park on a Saturday afternoon?)

Since golf returned, I cannot think of a safer activity when leaving my house. As said above, just a normal walk in a park has a higher risk, let alone going grocery shopping. If I was a betting man, I suspect the government are rushing into every decision, and are actually pretty incompetent and clueless. I gave them so much more slack in March/April than many did. However, I am definitely becoming more and more critical now.

The reality is that the authorities are rightly frightened of the data which suggests if people don't substantially reduce meeting each other then the NHS will be overwhelmed..
National circuit break lock down is the only way to achieve this.
Do you really think they had time to consult various sports bodies?
Do you not think they realised that each sport would put forward good reasons , as golf has, for exemption?
But they have to look at the reality of what would happen, if people participating in those sports didn't do good practice.
You may SD, which is easy when playing golf, but I've seen many playing golf who don't. Many behaving as if the Covid doesn't exist. And enough of them to show me that similar behaviour nationally would help to sabotage the objective of keeping people apart enough to stop the virus.

Then there is the question of allowing one sport but not others. It is valid reasoning .one cannot be exempt without exempting others and so you finish up losing the objective of lockdown.

The minister of Wales yesterday said in a plea to stop the virus"do not think so much of what you can do, but what you should do"
He was not speaking just about rules.

Since this whole virus thing started,there has been too much of "what can I still do" rather than a spirit of "what do we need to do"

Last edited:

Swango1980

Visit site
The reality is that the authorities are rightly frightened of the data which suggests if people don't substantially reduce meeting each other then the NHS will be overwhelmed..
National circuit break lock down is the only way to achieve this.
Do you really think they had time to consult various sports bodies?
Do you not think they realised that each sport would put forward good reasons , as golf has, for exemption?
But they have to look at the reality of what would happen, if people participating in those sports didn't do good practice.
You may SD, which is easy when playing golf, but I've seen many playing golf who don't. Many behaving as if the Covid doesn't exist. And enough of them to show me that similar behaviour nationally would help to sabotage the objective of keeping people apart enough to stop the virus.

Then there is the question of allowing one sport but not others. It is valid reasoning .one cannot be exempt without exempting others and so you finish up losing the objective of lockdown.

The minister of Wales yesterday said in a plea to stop the virus"do not think so much of what you can do, but what you should do"
He was not speaking just about rules.

Since this whole virus thing started, there has been too much of "what can I still do" rather than a spirit of "what do we need to do"
The problem is, there is basically zero detail. To Joe Public, it appears the government have been panicking from one decision to the next. Could maybe give some benefit of the doubt in March. However, in the months since, businesses have spent a fortune on health and safety (and most likely had less income) to keep open.

So, if you run a business, which could include a golf club, the least you'd expect that over the last few months, government would be looking at the detail behind the scenes. Their ministers would be talking to all sorts of businesses, and coming up with various plans for future lockdowns. Then, when it comes to having to increase lockdown measures, they almost have a go to plan that makes some sort of sense, and it at least looks like it has been carefully worked out.

Based on government rushed decisions from one moment to the next, business owners are becoming more desperate. Individuals confused and depressed. The economy is getting absolutely killed, but any are still blind to the future problems that will create. And, how long will the public be as obedient? If no vaccine is forthcoming, do we just go into national lockdown every few months for years to come? I wonder how much of the spread of the virus is down to schools, universities and shopping in supermarkets? The government seem more confused now than they did in March.