Will you play if we're allowed

Will you play in lockdown?

• Total voters

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I can't see that I would. Apart from anything else - my drive to my club could never be considered to be essential travel. And non-essential travel is not allowed. And for me that's it - end of. Interesting that the vast majority who have voted would be happy to break that rule - unless they are all going to walk or cycle to their club.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
hell yes, though Scotland isn't in lockdown.... yet. got a game arranged at Dornoch on wednesday again and Moray thursday, so lets hope we don't but in saying that i could easily walk to the kings, will need to play in wellies

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I can't see that I would. Apart from anything else - my drive to my club could never be considered to be essential travel. And non-essential travel is not allowed. And for me that's it - end of. Interesting that the vast majority who have voted would be happy to break that rule - unless they are all going to walk or cycle to their club.

I guess the "essential travel" element is an issue. In Wales we had the wonderful "local travel only" mantra. But, they refused to define local. :)

D

Deleted member 25172

Factually incorrect. What a "short journey" means though is up for interpretation I guess.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-national-restrictions-from-5-november#travel

Travel.JPG

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes of course, if allowed and the par 3 is open why shouldn’t I go? I won’t be breaking the law.

I can cycle to it or drive, it’s about 5 mins up the main road into the city.

D

Deleted member 1147

Its essential if it's for exercise (y)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I guess the "essential travel" element is an issue. In Wales we had the wonderful "local travel only" mantra. But, they refused to define local. :)
Me driving to my golf club is not travel for an essential purpose...I could walk - not a big deal as I'm only about 45mins walk. But I'd have to cart clubs with me and I'm not really up for that or the walk back.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
That's not really the point though. You're factually wrong should it be that golf is exempt as that would allow you to travel by car. That you don't agree with the rules doesn't make you right.
OK. I don't think I'll play as my exercise does not necessitate a car journey - I can walk to my local park. And therefore a car journey to my golf club is, for me, not essential for me to exercise.

D

Deleted member 25172

OK. I don't think I'll play as my exercise does not necessitate a car journey - I can walk to my local park. And therefore a car journey to my golf club is, for me, not essential for me to exercise.

That you take that stand point is of course up to you, but shouldn't be confused with what's within the law or not. Glad we could clear that up. (y)

D

Deleted member 25172

Maybe the "travel is ok to things that are open" is the thing to highlight! :)

As the scenario being put forward is "if we're allowed to play golf", it doesn't need to really. But I see your point. :)

jimbob.someroo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yup - absolutely.

I'm a 10 minute walk from the club. To get there, I would go through / round a park which will be bustling with newly-found 'joggers' who have gone for a chit chat, and loads of kids playing 5-a-side like during the previous lockdown. Heck of a lot more isolated walking round the course.

I'll be extra careful though and avoid the middle of the fairways as I have done all year though, you know, for safety and that.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
On BBC News, First Minister of Wales has said "There will be no travel restrictions inside Wales."