Why you should have the flag stick taken out

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yesterday, par 3, my mates ball hit the flag and nearly disappeared off the green.

One of the other guys quipped " It's why should ask for the flag stick to be taken out"

The first player always leaves the flag in, the rest of us take it.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
As always it depends on the situation. If I have a quick downhiller I tend to leave it in. Anything from over 4 feet I tend to leave it in actually. I only take it out for 2 or 3 footers as I just find it better without the flag from that range. Not really sure why, it's just developed that way.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Noticed Tiger and a few others last week having the flag attended because he could not see the hole on the elevated greens.
It personal taste really .

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ooh Flag in v out debate.... @Jacko_G are you back from tesco with that popcorn yet ?
We are on a roll right now. It is a shame it is winter or we could bring back white sock v black sock with shorts :D. A favourite of mine when I first joined this forum was a thread about using a poker chip as a marker. It went on for pages, hugely funny love and hatred for them. That one has never come back so I assume they are used less now.

On the actual subject of the thread, it largely depends on the thickness of the flag sticks. Some are very thick, some are thin. If thin they stay in all round, if thick then they stay in unless 2ft and closer.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I hit the flag on a par 3 last week and the ball bounced off about 2 foot away, but then I was 125 yards away on the tee. In a swindle 4 weeks ago a PP hit the flag on a par 3 after skulling it off the tee and got an ace! Just luck if the bounce really

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Hit the flag, which was left in, when putting off the green on the 16th last week in a match. Of course it stayed up despite it being hit at a good pace (no more than 18 inches had it not hit). Compare that to the opponents who had thinned a chip from off the green on 14 at a rate of notes and it hit flush and dropped and then did the same thing with a monster putt on 15 which would have been a good 6-8 feet past and hit and dropped. Both hit at pace and dropped and a dead weight didn't. Sometimes think its no more than luck if it goes or not.

Most of our roll ups have the furthest putting first and usually choose to leave it in. We then ask and anyone else still wanting it in goes next, then it comes out until we hole out. So far it has worked well and minimal faffing

Springveldt

Visit site
We are on a roll right now. It is a shame it is winter or we could bring back white sock v black sock with shorts :D. A favourite of mine when I first joined this forum was a thread about using a poker chip as a marker. It went on for pages, hugely funny love and hatred for them. That one has never come back so I assume they are used less now.

On the actual subject of the thread, it largely depends on the thickness of the flag sticks. Some are very thick, some are thin. If thin they stay in all round, if thick then they stay in unless 2ft and closer.
I've just bought my first pair of golf shorts (black) so should I be wearing black or white socks? Should the socks be up my shins or should I wear sports socks that show off my ankles?

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Depends on the pins for me. In summer our are thin fiberglass pins and the ball tends to hit them and drop as they absorb the energy and they are quite thin. In winter they are thicker, metal pins and tend to bounce the ball away.

Wolf

Visit site

Give it time LT it is only February. We still have the obligatory dress code, shirt without collars, colour of sock debates, and the cock measuring distance debate ahead of us before the sun rises on a proper golfing debates about the Majors to appear yet... ? Btw on the cock measuring I'll probably lose as I hit as far as a girl when it comes to forum distances ?

sunshine

Visit site
I've just bought my first pair of golf shorts (black) so should I be wearing black or white socks? Should the socks be up my shins or should I wear sports socks that show off my ankles?

Are you crazy! I bet you're the type who changes their shoes in the car park too.
Black shirt, black shorts, black belt, black shoes, white socks. You have to comply with the rules, people round here believe that wearing black socks is cheating :ROFLMAO: