Holding the flag whilst putting out

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Played last week and I was the first of four to putt. It was about 25ft. I put it to within 6” and I said “ I will putt out and do you lot want the flag out” they did. I lifted the flag out rested the bottom of the flag on the green and one handed, putted out. As I picked out the ball a PP said “ that’s a penalty if you did that in a comp.
I was suprised and educated so what's the exact ruling in comps.

Tashyboy

Visit site
I think that’s where my PP mentioned it would be a penalty. Because I was holding the flag he said it could be suggested I was using the flag as a support. It was odd because it just seemed quicker to do it. Don’t ask me why I never knocked it in then took the ball and flag out.
Cheers boys ?

Steve Wilkes

Visit site
I think that’s where my PP mentioned it would be a penalty. Because I was holding the flag he said it could be suggested I was using the flag as a support. It was odd because it just seemed quicker to do it. Don’t ask me why I never knocked it in then took the ball and flag out.
Cheers boys ?
It should have been clear that you was not holding the flag to balance yourself and only holding it to putt out with the flag out, I would say you are well within your rights to do so if you wish

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
13.2b(1)/2 – Player May Make Stroke While Holding Flagstick
Rule 13.2b(1) allows a player to make a one-handed stroke while holding the flagstick with the other hand. However, the player may not use the flagstick to steady himself or herself while making a stroke (Rule 4.3a).

For example, a player may:

• Remove the flagstick from the hole with one hand before putting and continue to hold it while making a one-handed stroke with the other hand.

Tashyboy

Visit site
13.2b(1)/2 – Player May Make Stroke While Holding Flagstick
Rule 13.2b(1) allows a player to make a one-handed stroke while holding the flagstick with the other hand. However, the player may not use the flagstick to steady himself or herself while making a stroke (Rule 4.3a).

For example, a player may:

• Remove the flagstick from the hole with one hand before putting and continue to hold it while making a one-handed stroke with the other hand.
Cheers me man. ?

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
The above specifies holding the flagstick and making a one-handed stroke. The next question is what if the player leans the flagstick on his shoulder, not using it for support, and makes a two-handed stroke?

Tashyboy

Visit site
??
The above specifies holding the flagstick and making a one-handed stroke. The next question is what if the player leans the flagstick on his shoulder, not using it for support, and makes a two-handed stroke?
???

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
It doesn't specify that. It is only given as an example.
The rule simply says "The player may make a stroke with the flagstick removed from the hole, so that his or her ball in motion will not hit the flagstick in the hole." and "the player may not use the flagstick to steady himself or herself while making a stroke"

Swango1980

Visit site
Well, the player has removed the flagstick (as allowed) and are still not using it for support or to help them in any way make the stroke (presumably). So, I can't see there being any different ruling to the example provided in the Interpretations.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Well, the player has removed the flagstick (as allowed) and are still not using it for support or to help them in any way make the stroke (presumably). So, I can't see there being any different ruling to the example provided in the Interpretations.
I take the example given (holding the flag) as being the extreme example of what is allowed under the rule to show what is not allowed (using it to support). Just having a flag leaning on my shoulder is very clearly going to provide less support than holding the flag if there was any suggestion I was using the flag for support. The rules and clarifications almost always make sense to me if I take the scenario to an extreme.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
I take the example given (holding the flag) as being the extreme example of what is allowed under the rule to show what is not allowed (using it to support). Just having a flag leaning on my shoulder is very clearly going to provide less support than holding the flag if there was any suggestion I was using the flag for support. The rules and clarifications almost always make sense to me if I take the scenario to an extreme.

Ah, but what if a player holds the flagstick one-handed across his shoulders and putts with the other. What if, like a tightrope walker's pole, the flagstick helps his balance? :unsure::rolleyes:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Ah, but what if a player holds the flagstick one-handed across his shoulders and putts with the other. What if, like a tightrope walker's pole, the flagstick helps his balance? :unsure::rolleyes:
No different an assessment is made than if he is holding one end with the other on the ground...

As it happens I realise that with my golf I was an expert tightrope walker for my 35yrs - I thought I was in a groove but I wasn't. And so when I fell off that tightrope...ooof it hurt and it's hard to get back on the rope. Maybe I need to adopt the suggested stance with flagstick across my shoulders.