Red Mist

oleinone

Visit site
Played yesterday with regular fourball. Decided to play Scramble for a change. No handicaps,no wagers, just a friendly round. Get to the ninth par 3 with us 3 up. Opponents just short of green and first player shanks his shot 45 degrees off target narrowly missing my ankles. Not thinking I picked it up and tossed it back to him. At which point he launched into a rollicking - " do you think that you have the right to decide which ball they should play". The wind should have gone from his sails as his partner had chipped onto the green! I said I was sorry and meant no harm.The guy is a pal and is usually totally even tempered. He continued to be grumpy and his solid game disappeared. His mood was not improved by our 2 back 9 birdies with a chip in from 40 ft and a 10 ft put. Maybe something else was bothering him. Any other Jekyll and Hydes out there?

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Played yesterday with regular fourball. Decided to play Scramble for a change. No handicaps,no wagers, just a friendly round. Get to the ninth par 3 with us 3 up. Opponents just short of green and first player shanks his shot 45 degrees off target narrowly missing my ankles. Not thinking I picked it up and tossed it back to him. At which point he launched into a rollicking - " do you think that you have the right to decide which ball they should play". The wind should have gone from his sails as his partner had chipped onto the green! I said I was sorry and meant no harm.The guy is a pal and is usually totally even tempered. He continued to be grumpy and his solid game disappeared. His mood was not improved by our 2 back 9 birdies with a chip in from 40 ft and a 10 ft put. Maybe something else was bothering him. Any other Jekyll and Hydes out there?

I'd imagine the fact he just have shanked it might have had something to do with his reaction. I've suffered from then and they are soul destroying.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd imagine the fact he just have shanked it might have had something to do with his reaction. I've suffered from then and they are soul destroying.
Yeah, this. Obviously angry at himself but he takes it out on you (OP). Golf can be the most frustrating game in the world.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I played against a guy in a scratch knockout who hit his ball onto some newly laid turf.
One sign stuck in the turf read GUR, the other sign said Play Prohibited.
He announced he was going to play it from the new turf.
I pointed out the Play Prohibited sign so he says ok, I'll hit 2 balls. As it was match play I questioned that too.
He still played 2 balls but lost the hole with both of them.
He got angry.
Apparently, I questioned his integrity.
I learnt some new swear words that day

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
If he’s a mate,a proper mate ask him if everything is all right.
Tell him in a genuine caring manner that because it’s out of character you were wondering if he was ok.
If he is and it’s a one off,laugh it off and move on.

yeah agreed it doesn't sound like a natural reaction from his story

AliMc

Visit site
I shanked one out of a greenside bunker at our par 3 3rd yesterday, it went into another greenside bunker, got up and down from there for a bogey, 1 under after 3 after 2 birdies on the par 5's 1st and 2nd, no point in getting too upset about it, it happens ?