What a day

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Just back from my day at Bearwood Lakes courtesy of GM and Srixon/Cleveland. And what a day it was.
Started ok with the knee holding together but the toothache beginning alongside the heavy cold. But nothing was going to stop me!

Arrived at the club only to find it was the wrong club! I'd gone to Bearwood Golf Club instead of Bearwood lakes. Apparently very easy to do! Found my way to the right place and was greeted by a posse of bag handlers. they took my bag and shoes away and I was ushered into a room to meet with MikeH and Neil Tappin as well as a herd of media people. Including the gorgeous Di Stewart!!!! Then the stars began to arrive. Our Team Captain David Howell breezed in and got collared by GM to do some iron instruction shots and as Jiminez, Stensen and Kjeldsen arrived they went off to do their bit too.

Time to get ready. Found my shoes in the locker room and my bag outside ready to go to the practice green. OMG these greens are fast. Easily the fastest I've played on. And off to the 1st tee. Its a Texas Scramble format over 5 holes. 4 per team and each player must contribute at least 1 drive. Now I don't normally get nervous on the 1st but when Howeller strode up and we were all introduced I can honestly say it became a moment of buttock cleanching!! Not just with David there but cameras and about 40 members watching.
Mike went first and won't mind me telling you he hit a screamer - hooked left - don't know if he found it! Next up was Ivan, a Nevada Bob's Guy who plays off 5 at Sunningdale. His shot went a little left and just ran into the 1st cut. Now its my turn. With my dodgy knee and sniffy nose I wasn't expecting great things but I made good contact and it flew with a slight draw to end up left side just on the short stuff. captain Howeller's turn and to be honest he hit a shocker. It fades right into the trees and was lost. So I got my drive out of the way on the 1st hole - happy days. 2nd shot was approx 180 to the middle and i nailed my hybrid to be on the green 15 feet or so away. Mike yanked another one left but Ivan screamed his iron to about 2 feet. Howeller tried to get inside that but failed to get inside me!! Birdie.
Next a long uphill par 5. I blasted my drive into the trees right but the other 3 all found the fairway. Choosing howeller's drive we all failed to find the green in 2 but we were left with a downhill chip across the green. can't remember who chipped it close but I was given the honour of securing our 2nd consecutive birdie to lie -2 after 2 holes.
Next was a downhill par 3. Mike's drive dissappeared right (again - sorry Mike) while Ivan and Howeller both found a greenside bunker. My drive fell a little short but was in the best position so we took it. 2 drives of mine in 3 holes!! 2 ok chips and one good one saw us par that hole. On to a par 4 near the lakes. Mike hit probably his best shot of the day to put it slap-bang in the middle of the fairway. But Howeller overruled Mike by taking Ivan's drive even though it was in the light rough. This would leave Mike with the last tee-shot!! No really approach shots left us about 15 feet for another birdie. Mike and Ivan both narrowly missed and my effort stalled a roll from the cup. Howeller missed too so we settled for a par.
Our last hole. A per 3 over the corner of the lake. 176 yards. Mike has to keep it dry and hopefully get us near the flag. Well he acheived the first but not really the second. We were in a dell just short/left of the green leaving a downhill chip with the lake behind the flag. Mike's chip ran through, Ivan's went 5 feet left. Mine was as good a shot as I've played. Almost perfect, it came to rest 18 inches to the left of the hole. Howeller couldn't improve and I knocked in the putt for a total of -2 for the 5 holes.
In the car on the way back to the clubhouse we reckoned(well DH reckoned!) that -2 wouldn't be enough. After drinks and a nice buffet it was prize time. Jiminez's group came 4th on countback from Stensen's (level par), Kjeldsens group was 2nd on -1 which leaves... Yep you guessed it. The GM/Nevada Bob's team only went and won it!!!!!!!!!
Had to get up in front of all these people and get presented with a big framed photo of our group personalised by DH, a signed cap and a Cleveland Launcher 3 wood. Brilliant.

Have to also add that DH is the best of the best of the best. A nicer guy you will not meet. The others were great too. A fantastic day.

Oh and finally, watch Golf Night on wednesday. Sky Sports were there. They were filming at the last hole and we got interviewd by Di before coming back to the clubhouse. And the presentation was filmed too.

And did I mention I met Di Stewart?????????????

or that my short game was better than Howeller's

Big Big thanks to Mike and GM and to David for the day. I did try to get DH to come on the forum but not sure he's got the time.

Oh one last thing. Did I mention I met Di Stewart.........

KeefG

Journeyman Pro
www.maywoodgolfclub.com
Nice 1 fella, at least your knee held out! Sounds like you had a cracking day huh?

Got to be honest, i'd have probably taken a 9 iron off the 1st tee with everyone watching so you're a better man than I am! lol

Not at all jealous by the way :D

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Top man. I have actually been thinking about you jealously all afternoon and praying for rain gods. I'm glad you had a grea time and everything held up. Di is a bit of minx in the flesh isn't she. Good work all round and some great goodies to remember it all by.

Well done and well done to GM for organising such a great prize.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Wow fantastic, well jealous of you. Sounds like a great day all round.

Will putr golf night on the sky+

Hope you remember it for the rest of your days, not many people get a chance to play in agame like that, only here with GM do those dreams come true!

Nice work guys!

Picturs Ian?

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
good post Ian and well done today. You represented the forum and GM in fine style! Very impressed with your opening drive under no small amount of pressure and to finish it off by knocking your chip stone dead at the last hole was awesome! Good work fella
Have put two pics from the day up on our twitter site - check them out here http://twitter.com/GolfMonthly
P.S Just had a text from Ms Stewart asking for the number of the dashing bloke with no hair and glasses she saw today... not sure if she means you or me!

Imurg

Visit site
Howeller's playing in US Open qualifying at Walton Heath on monday as well as the PGA this week. To be fair to him, he had played 18 at Wentworth this morning before coming down to Bearwood.

Didn't get any pictures but I'll scan the framed photo I got and post that when I can. GM may have taken a few (Mike?)

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Obv not you MikeH. She has your number if she texted you, Get in there Imurg :D Show her ya fist pump! :D

Imurg

Visit site
P.S Just had a text from Ms Stewart asking for the number of the dashing bloke with no hair and glasses she saw today... not sure if she means you or me!
Well you've got mine and you've got her's.................

Basher

Tour Winner
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
You lucky devil Imurg!

Top post by the way, well writen.

Not sure I could have done like you mate. Afraid to say I would have probably filled my keks on the 1st tee, especially in front of such notable company. Add to that Di Stewarts obviously caustic comments on my golf swing on Wednesday night!
Yep, for once I'd say I was glad to be at work!

Seriously, sounds like you had a cracking day mate, once in a lifetime material. Oh, and well done on your game.

Liam_Austin

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sounds like you had a fantastic day Imurg, Will you be coming down to wentworth at the weekend to cheer david on?

I to have had the pleasure of meeting David Howell and I can honestly say he's an awesome guy, so down to earth, I say this having read the thread about arrogant golf pros :D :D,

Did David Howell have his caddie with him, Nick Mumford??

Imurg

Visit site
Nick was around but not caddying. Didn't get to speak to him as he had to dash off. Dh had a member caddying for him.
Unfortunatly I don't think I can get down to Wentworth this weekend - shame as I'd like to cheer him on. Apparently Neil Tappers is playing in the Pro-Am with Rory!!!

Macster

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What a Day !! Sounds like a brill experience, glad it went well.

And to cap it all, Imurg & Di,........the start of something beautiful........ooooerr. :D :D

Imurg

Visit site
Yes Rob we went 10,11,12,13 and finished at 14. Now that's a nice par 3.

Got to get back there and play the whole course now - its the business

Imurg

Visit site
That's the real bummer of the day. Only got to sample 5 holes. They knew damn well that it was going to be enough of a taster to make me need to go back and finish it off.Bearwood is now sitting atop my playlist.