Why I love the traveller community in Sussex - not.

sydney greenstreet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Like it or not the reason they, like us have rights is so they do not get persecuted and I know of nobody that has a good word to say about them. However I do not want to go down the road that when it comes to a certain group of people that we should forget they have rights and treat them differently to anyone else hence why I said Persecute. Good luck in the clean up.

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
They should be treated different as the bulk pay no taxes, No NI, No road tax in fact nothing apart from pilfer from society and the sooner they are driven of these shores the better. No contributions to society then no rights. Should get the military in and and rough them up and make them tidy up and repair all the damage they cause. They really are scum of society. Just to clarify I am NOT a Daily Mail reader and Not a right wing racist

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
They should be treated different as the bulk pay no taxes, No NI, No road tax in fact nothing apart from pilfer from society and the sooner they are driven of these shores the better. No contributions to society then no rights. Should get the military in and and rough them up and make them tidy up and repair all the damage they cause. They really are scum of society. Just to clarify I am NOT a Daily Mail reader and Not a right wing racist

Do you pay road tax, ITR? I think not!

Regards,
Pedant Girl

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
Do you pay road tax, ITR? I think not!

Regards,
Pedant Girl

You know exactly what I mean. This is what I pay:

United Kingdom
Main article: Vehicle Excise Duty

In the United Kingdom owners are required to pay Vehicle Excise Duty, which is paid to the government for a vehicle licence (or tax disc), which must be displayed on most motor vehicles used on public roads.[8] Since 1937 there has been no direct relationship between the tax and government expenditure on public roads.[9] The registered keeper of a vehicle that is not used or kept on public roads must complete a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN).[10]

Regards

Non Pedant Man

19thagain

Head Pro
Visit site

I think our friend Mr H went down that road back in 1937/43!!

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
You know exactly what I mean. This is what I pay:

United Kingdom
Main article: Vehicle Excise Duty

In the United Kingdom owners are required to pay Vehicle Excise Duty, which is paid to the government for a vehicle licence (or tax disc), which must be displayed on most motor vehicles used on public roads.[8] Since 1937 there has been no direct relationship between the tax and government expenditure on public roads.[9] The registered keeper of a vehicle that is not used or kept on public roads must complete a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN).[10]

Regards

Non Pedant Man

Indeed, just keen to ensure accuracy in all things (other than hitting golf balls at greens, obviously)

:D

Farneyman

Tour Winner
Visit site
My edited version of previous post that was deemed unacceptable and deleted...

Could Snelly care to clarify how he knows they were Irish Travellers, as quoted in the OP or is it acceptable for him to assume they were? Did they just talk funny and run about stealing apples and dugs...How does he know there were not english, austrialian or any other nationality traveller?

I say if they were Irish travellers, good on them. Many of them come to the UK and try to make a living but are met with some horrible attitudes. Some of us have managed to!

I know many Irish travellers who are wonderful human beings and have worked harder than some of the lazy benefit scroungers who have fixed abodes with all mod cons

And the record not all travellers are scum which was, and still is, quoted on this thread.

And my final point on the matter, I would also rather have a drink again with a bunch of travellers than with people who can show no tolerance with them.

Hope this is an acceptable post to show my frustrations of some outdated and frankly disgusting views on this matter.

Over and out... again!

S

Snelly

My edited version of previous post that was deemed unacceptable and deleted...

Could Snelly care to clarify how he knows they were Irish Travellers.....

I say if they were Irish travellers, good on them.

I know they were Irish as every time they hurled abuse or threatened people, they all without exception spoke with Irish accents. Not just to me but to every other unfortunate soul who had to engage with them in any way. Could be a coincidence or an elaborate trick but I don't think so somehow.

And good on them? All they did was create unpleasantness, a huge mess, cause damage and nick stuff. Not really worth three hearty cheers in my book....

Send me your address and they can come and stay in your garden for a while. You can have a nice chat and a few drinks with them around a fire made of tyres and all stay up late with generators running, loud music, screaming kids and a few quad bikes. Then, when all your neighbours are asleep, you can pop round their garages and permanently borrow a few power tools.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I know they were Irish as every time they hurled abuse or threatened people, they all without exception spoke with Irish accents. Not just to me but to every other unfortunate soul who had to engage with them in any way. Could be a coincidence or an elaborate trick but I don't think so somehow.

And good on them? All they did was create unpleasantness, a huge mess, cause damage and nick stuff. Not really worth three hearty cheers in my book....

Send me your address and they can come and stay in your garden for a while. You can have a nice chat and a few drinks with them around a fire made of tyres and all stay up late with generators running, loud music, screaming kids and a few quad bikes. Then, when all your neighbours are asleep, you can pop round their garages and permanently borrow a few power tools.

+1, good post Dave.

However, I guess it must be said, not ALL are quite this bad (but that doesn't mean I want any near me soon, whatever nationality).

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site

To right mate. I have to say I do not agree with a lot of your posts but on this you are spot on. With this it is a case of provided they are not in my back yard they are o.k. Well they are not o.k for the reasons both you and myself have listed. I have to say you have done mighty well getting them moved on as quick as you did - no offence but I suspect it is quite a well to do area and some strings may have been pulled but I am chuffed for you that there is a result for you. They camped up near to where I used to work and the battle and nastiness rumbled on for weeks rather than a few days like yours until the Police finally did the deed. I have to say the Police that were dealing with our case were useless and it was constant pressure from Business owners and eventually getting the local paper involved that finally got something done. Hope you village gets itself back to normal as soon as possible.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I don't know if (maybe they do) the police track the registrations of the vehicles these people drive... then they could pick them up at the next destination they arrive at and fine the crap out of them (taking vehicles and generators as payment if necessary) for the mess they left behind at their last location.

Sounds so simple.

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't know if (maybe they do) the police track the registrations of the vehicles these people drive... then they could pick them up at the next destination they arrive at and fine the crap out of them (taking vehicles and generators as payment if necessary) for the mess they left behind at their last location.

Sounds so simple.

If it sounds simple then usually it isn't!! Agree though but the Police hate getting involved with this kind of stuff. They really did not want to know in my particular case.

19thagain

Head Pro
Visit site
This is not going to be well received on this thread I'm afraid!!

We have travellers in our park and ride car park every few weeks. The council gives them skips and toilets and, yes there is mess when they leave. A few hours work for the council bin men.

Now I can vouch for the lack of crime as I have a written statement from the local policeman confirming the lack of crime in our area- this is in our local news sheet.

The hours the bin men give my community is possibly greater than the clearing up time.

We do not make their lives hard for them and indeed see them as part of our way of life rather like seeing a flock of birds migrating and landing on a farmers crop. Maybe they too should be 'attended to'.

I feed the homeless, a nice word but masks the beer swilling, ill manered ungrateful lot they are - in some people's eyes!

In my eyes they are all somebody that may appreciate our catering and the handshake I offer as they arrive and leave.

Maybe , just maybe, I am wrong in my take of my fellow human beings - yes they have faults but in my mind it is nice to read the offerings from some people on here who have none.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
^
^

I think you're missing the point... you wouldn't feel that way after they robbed your garage, beat up your son and did No2's all over your lawn.

Humans? Yes.

The right to smash/destroy everything they come into contact with? No.

Be a law unto themselves? No.

I'm sure you're aware that the 4-ball in front of you taking 3hrs to play the back 9 are also human? :whistle:

Last edited:

19thagain

Head Pro
Visit site
I don't think I missed any point - just have a different view point to you on this subject.

If any Englishman or Scotsman beat up my son or messed in my front garden I would be very upset and would have the police there immediately.

If you are inferring that they do not come under the same laws as you and I just because they have squatting rights, you are very much mistaken or .... your police are not doing their job.

If they break in, this is this is a police matter.

Law unto themselves? I don't think so. The police should uphold the law of the land including squatters rights.

Maybe you should talk to your local police force regarding the lack of protection they are providing considering all the money you state you are paying to the government unlike this 'baddies'

Your point re time on a golf course goes over my head as I am not someone with running shoes on trying to get to the bar rail quickly.