Why I love the traveller community in Sussex - not.

S

Snelly

Last Thursday, a convoy of about 40 Irish travellers caravans and associated transits and horseboxes arrived in our quiet village in rural Sussex. They smashed down a section of fence on our picturesque village green and took up residence whilst the police looked on. They could not intervene under a section 61 process as they did not feel that the residents lives would be sufficiently compromised by the arrival of the visitors.

Since then, 3 villagers have been assaulted, 16 window have been smashed with stolen apples and 7 separate outbuilding break-ins have been reported with thousands of pounds of kit being pinched.

The village green now looks like a bomb has hit it. Litter is everywhere and the place has been chewed up with quad bikes and scramblers. Generators x 30 odd run through the night, powering loud music until the early hours.
Screaming kids and domestic rows accompany the music too. The green is now a total no-go area and everyone is extremely stressed.

I have to walk my dogs somewhere else now obviously and was up on the South Downs yesterday morning. The rural splendour was made complete on the walk back down past our village green when I was treated to the joyous sight of a fat woman taking a strenuous dump in the hedge about 15 yards from the path. Just delightful....

Last night, I had more cause to thank our just want to add yet more thanks to our special traveller friends who prefer to dump their chocolate surprises al fresco. Last night, I spent 25 minutes pressure washing and scrubbing our whippet after she decided to roll for joy in a big pile of human poo on a bit of ground adjacent to the illegal camp. She still is feeling a bit sorry for herself and has a wonderful scent of orange and passion fruit shower gel with the finest hint of human excrement. I've also done a can of fabreze on her and she still reeks. Still, on the bright side, at least the little darlings on the green aren't having their human rights infringed and they can still exercise the right to drop their fudge sundaes all over our village.

A court order is being applied for tomorrow to get them evicted and then it is up to the Sussex Police Commissioner to decide if she wants to enforce it. If she does, they will be gone. If she doesn't want to get involved, as a village, we are left on our own and back at square one. Fingers crossed that they do the right thing. It will then be up to volunteers from the village to spend their spare time over the coming weeks clearing up the litter and removing the human and animal sewage.

I am all for live and let live and people have to co-exist somewhere but this has been a horrible experience for all and it should not have been allowed to happen. Thankfully, the government have committed to developing new legislation to make the process of removing illegal invasions.

And the travelling community wonder why people are prejudiced against them too???

D

Deleted member 17920

That just sounds horrendous! I feel for you. In Lincolnshire we don't get too many problems at all. A company I worked for a few years ago had the travelling community move in next door so the owner told them he was going to move them on one way or another, They didn't believe him so he got his mates from the slaughterhouse to deliver 5 truckloads of offal that stank and he left them parked there for a weekend, Monday morning they had all gone. The bill the council had for cleaning up after the travellers wouldn't have been pretty!

D

Deleted Member 1156

Reading this infuriates me, I'm not going to post my thoughts as I'm already living on the edge with an infraction and if i write what I feel then I'll get myself banned.

:rant:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
We used to have a similar issue - we have quite a few open green spaces and now every single one has huge boulders evenly spaced so nothing bigger than a Smart Car can get through them.
Solves the problem - looks horrendous but it's better than the alternative.

Comiserations Snelly.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Snelly, you really do have my sympathy.

Where my parents live is a large green belt of land. Beautiful place.

When I was growing up, we had travellers move on there and almost runed it.

What happened to get them off was, well, a bit of a story.

Every night there caravans and cars were defaced and vandalised. Caravans and cars were spray painted and had tyres slashed. One night someone moved an old oil drum into the middle of their site, filled with fireworks and let them off (.... Jackass style)...... at 4am in the morning.

After about 2 weeks of this they decided to up and leave.

The mess and damage that was left was horrendous. Empty gas bottles, litter, discarded crap, it took months to get the land back to looking something remotely how it did.

..... The crime rate also dropped once they up'd stick and move too....... Funny that.

I'll keep you in my thoughts Snelly and hope the courts make the right decision for you, and your village.

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Stuff like this is sickening and infuriates me. Why do people who support the country and live by the book always suffer?

S

Snelly

The village is called Findon in West Sussex. It is where Josh Gifford (Aldaniti / Bob Champion etc) has his stables and his daughter trains here too - Olympic gold medallist Tina Cook. It is a lovely village and doesn't deserve this.

Our village green used to look like this -

index_field.jpg

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Stuff like this is sickening and infuriates me. Why do people who support the country and live by the book always suffer?

...and where are those who front up in the media on behalf of travellers and their rights - why are those apologists not being hauled in front of the cameras and asked to explain the behaviour; made to apologise on their behalf, and in truth (as much as I don't really like the sort of thing) made to grovel to the villagers and help clean up the mess after the travellers are gone.

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You know, there are companies who can remove sites like the one you are dealing with without the intervention of the police. We had an enquiry at work (where we build and design websites) from such a company - they are a bit shady with their details as you can imagine, but they were looking for a site to promote their services - removal of traveler sites.

We never won the business, but it could be worth a Google?

S

Snelly

This morning's new news; someone's dog has been taken from their garden, kids from the site have shot one person and five cars with an air rifle and two teenagers are blocking the road past the green with a barrier and when anyone complains, they drop their trousers.

Charming. The dog missing is pretty low. No doubt a lost dog poster will soon be met with a phone call asking if there is a reward.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Sorry to go off topic but, Beuaport as in Hastings? If so, did you play the course?

Yes & no, was advised too hilly so considered Sedlescombe but didn't get around to it, played at Cooden on the friday with people on here.

The Beauport Caravan "holiday" Park needs to be avoided at all costs, although it sounds like it may be empty now and they have moved in on Snelly!

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I feel for you mate, we had a similar situation in our apartment block recently albeit on a much smaller scale.
Absolute scum of the earth they are, no words can describe just how little I think of them.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
The village is called Findon in West Sussex. It is where Josh Gifford (Aldaniti / Bob Champion etc) has his stables and his daughter trains here too - Olympic gold medallist Tina Cook. It is a lovely village and doesn't deserve this.

Our village green used to look like this -

View attachment 7274

looks like the kind of place I'd like to live- whats it look like now?

I assume the papers are all over it? if not I'd be sending your story and pics to the tabloids, nothing motivates the council and police more than a media outcry...

Hope its resolved quickly as that sounds like it could escalate with no positive outcome

*edit* what about Twitter to get some media profile? is there a Findon or Sussex twitter feed

Last edited: