Why I love the traveller community in Sussex - not.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Our village is having to club together to buy a site that travellers were going to pay £50k for. Price to the village £150k!

Your problem would be easy to sort if trespass was made to be a criminal offence, I wish you well getting rid!

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
I feel for you. We had them at the golf club earlier in the year. Broke on to the carpark in the middle of the night and completely took over the place. They were forced to leave after a few weeks. Some of their actions whilst there were disgraceful. Our friends horses had to be watched 24hrs a day and we couldn't leave the dog in the garden.

Hopefully they'll be moved on sooner rather than later..:thup:

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I feel for you & all your neighbours.
I hope you get rid of those scum as soon as you can, the really are beyond belief.
I'm not too far away so if you need any extra hands for the clean up, PM me.
If I'm available I'll gladly help if required.

Slime.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Feel for you and in the good old days there would have been a few locals who would have defended their community, not necessarily fully within the law and been allowed to do so with the police turning a blind eye. These days, they all have such protection under Human Rights they have less chance of a conviction than the Queen

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
We quite regularly get them in newbury on a public green just by the racecourse, they never ever stay more than 2-3 days.. always moved on very quickly... are we just "lucky" that we are a stop off? or is my council/police just on the case?

Really feel for you Snelly, growing up in a quaint village, i fully understand what you and your villagers are going through...

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
From some very limited experience with this I'd say keeping the right side of the law is the best approach. As despite their seeming lack of IQ, these types are surprisingly up to date with the current law regarding this. And will not be afraid to use any breaking of the law by opponants to fight their case, or delay eviction as long as possible

S

Snelly

Great news. The eviction notice was granted and the police moved them on. They are now somewhere else, spoiling the locality and abusing another village full of people.

The mess is bad. Lots of empty gas cylinders, garden and building waste, a dozen tyres and obviously litter is everywhere.

We can all clean it up now though and the clean up campaign has over 200 volunteers who start tomorrow.

D

Deleted member 17920

Great news. The eviction notice was granted and the police moved them on. They are now somewhere else, spoiling the locality and abusing another village full of people.

The mess is bad. Lots of empty gas cylinders, garden and building waste, a dozen tyres and obviously litter is everywhere.

We can all clean it up now though and the clean up campaign has over 200 volunteers who start tomorrow.
Fantastic news that they have gone. Only to upset the next community and do the same again.200 volunteers to clean up is amazing.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Great news Dave. The thing that really upsets me about this country is that despite probably 99.9% of people in a supposed self-governing sovereign state (EU blah blah:temper:) in favour of being able to exert immediate action to sort out issuers on Travellers, squatters and terrorists - and several other clearly bad situations - we cannot make it happen. There should be a lobby forum for parliament where hot topics like this can be pushed in front of politicians and legislation enacted. I know Civil Liberty laws are behind terrorist changes and probably other areas but it is unacceptable - and we, as a country, need to grow and pair and get on with it and await any EU action if it comes - France, as a more entrenched EU member, sticks its fingers up when it wants if it deems it necessary - and even prevents destruction of its way of life by not letting yoghurt making fall under foreign ownership!! I don't care if my banana is not as politically acceptable as ones in other countries if, god forbid, it is 2 degrees too straight!!!!!! Rant over
:sbox:

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
The thing that really upsets me about this country is that despite probably 99.9% of people in a supposed self-governing sovereign state (EU blah blah:temper:) in favour of being able to exert immediate action to sort out issuers on Travellers, squatters and terrorists - and several other clearly bad situations - we cannot make it happen.

Erm, looks like they went through the correct legal procedures and they got rightly evicted. Ergo, it happened. Also I'm not 100% sure what the EU has to do with evicting travellers:confused:

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
Great news Dave. The thing that really upsets me about this country is that despite probably 99.9% of people in a supposed self-governing sovereign state (EU blah blah:temper:) in favour of being able to exert immediate action to sort out issuers on Travellers, squatters and terrorists - and several other clearly bad situations - we cannot make it happen. There should be a lobby forum for parliament where hot topics like this can be pushed in front of politicians and legislation enacted. I know Civil Liberty laws are behind terrorist changes and probably other areas but it is unacceptable - and we, as a country, need to grow and pair and get on with it and await any EU action if it comes - France, as a more entrenched EU member, sticks its fingers up when it wants if it deems it necessary - and even prevents destruction of its way of life by not letting yoghurt making fall under foreign ownership!! I don't care if my banana is not as politically acceptable as ones in other countries if, god forbid, it is 2 degrees too straight!!!!!! Rant over
:sbox:

Be careful mate calling the EU on here and having you own opinion you will be called a bigot and a Daily Mail reader:smirk:

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Erm, looks like they went through the correct legal procedures and they got rightly evicted. Ergo, it happened. Also I'm not 100% sure what the EU has to do with evicting travellers:confused:

It was a general rant about stupid laws/processes that don't follow what the whole country would want. There was no guarantee that the travellers would have been moved on in this case - it could have gone the other way and often takes a lot longer. They took over a large chunk of the station car park in Wokingham a couple of months ago, while they were in the process of a big redevelopment (thus adding to the chaos) and it took weeks to move them on - during that time I parked away from the station and my car was vandalised - thus it has directly cost me about £500!