WHS working well for me

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's definitely not 'working well' for me. I moved from a 131 slope course with a very easy greens, to a 117 slope course with impossible greens. My scores have been about the same, but thanks to the ridiculous slope rating difference, I need to shoot 5 to 6 shots better at my new course for WHS to rate it the same. There's an 82 at my old course going off my last 20 in two rounds time, so it looks like I need to shoot 77 in one of the Club Champ rounds this weekend. Absolutely zero chance of that. The slope ratings are a joke.
Well I have gone up but not as much as I thought. The 82 at Haste Hill has dropped off as I said, but I shot 84 & 89 on the weekend, and the 84 is now a counting score. Handicap has only gone from 15.1 to 15.5, and that still means I get 15 shots in comps anyway, so no change in real terms.

I preferred the old system in the sense that I knew what was going to happen to my handicap straight away, i.e. if I was getting a cut and roughly how much, or whether I was going up 0.1. Now it seems like a total lottery, but I just have to learn to forget about it entirely and wait and see.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Interestingly we are seeing some excessive low scores but these are all from players with a full playing record. A couple have 20 scores since the end of lockdown. I guess it was ever thus!

Personally it's been the first time I have seen 2 X Net 60 win our medals and a 50 point stableford winner!

All got hit with Exceptional Score Adjustments.

When you say they got hit with Exceptional Score Adjustments is this done via the computer or does the handicap secretary adjust his h/c?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
HI 8.1 to 9.9 in 11 months and about to lose a 7.6.

But I am not bothered - nothing like I used to be when I fretted about going up 0.1s.

With WHS I know that once I am through the transition to my new bats I’ll be replacing the current load of rubbish making up my 8 with better scores and I expect my HI to start coming down pretty pronto - as WHS is designed to do.

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site

I am impressed that they have sufficient statistical expertise to be able to robustly come to this conclusion.

Their website says “we run a full program of competitions”. Presumably that’ll be qualified shortly by the addition of “for golfers up to a handicap index of 22.5”.

You are allowed to play The Old Course with a handicap of 36. But you’re not allowed to enter this club’s comps. I wonder if membership fees are lower if your index is >22.5 too.

Surely you let everyone play, but have some comps for the low handicaps, scratch comps, and divisions.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Does this mean that you can't enter the comp if your handicap is higher or that your handicap will be capped? I'm expecting capped but it isn't quite clear.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I am impressed that they have sufficient statistical expertise to be able to robustly come to this conclusion.

Their website says “we run a full program of competitions”. Presumably that’ll be qualified shortly by the addition of “for golfers up to a handicap index of 22.5”.

You are allowed to play The Old Course with a handicap of 36. But you’re not allowed to enter this club’s comps. I wonder if membership fees are lower if your index is >22.5 too.

Surely you let everyone play, but have some comps for the low handicaps, scratch comps, and divisions.

I didn't read anything that said anyone with a HI over 22.5 can't play. Just that 22.5 is the maximum HI allowed will be 22.5. Presumably anyone with enough qualifying scores, but with an index over the allowance can play, but will play off the maximum 22.5.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site

A committee showing lack of imagination. I presume they will no longer hold opens as they will have no easy way of checking the amount of cards visitors have done.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
I didn't read anything that said anyone with a HI over 22.5 can't play. Just that 22.5 is the maximum HI allowed will be 22.5. Presumably anyone with enough qualifying scores, but with an index over the allowance can play, but will play off the maximum 22.5.
Not sure many members will pay to enter a comp that restricts them playing off their correct HC.

apj0524

Head Pro
Visit site
A committee showing lack of imagination. I presume they will no longer hold opens as they will have no easy way of checking the amount of cards visitors have done.

Why do you say that for Opens we can check visitors hop on Dotgolf and see how many rounds they have played and when?