WHS working well for me

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Lad I play with has just put his three cards in for his first handicap, +14, +18 and +24. He's been given a handicap of 12.1 ??
How the heck does that work then?
We had him off 16 in the society and he's never come close to winning anything, he's never beaten me either and I'm of 13 ?

Fabia999

Visit site
Lad I play with has just put his three cards in for his first handicap, +14, +18 and +24. He's been given a handicap of 12.1 ??
We had him off 16 in the society and he's never come close to winning anything, he's never beaten me either and I'm of 13 ?

Depends on the rating of the course thats he played. He might have a base handicap of 12.1 but whats his course handicap?

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Depends on the rating of the course thats he played. He might have a base handicap of 12.1 but whats his course handicap?

First handicap is best score -2

3 scores: Lowest score -2
4 scores: lowest score -1
5 scores: lowest score
6 scores: average of lowest 2 -1
7-8 scores: average of lowest 2
9-11 scores: avg of lowest 3
12-14: avg of lowest 4
15-16: avg of lowest 5
17-18: avg of lowest 6
19: average of lowest 7
20: best 8 of 2

Get more cards in, it'll soon come up

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
First handicap is best score -2

3 scores: Lowest score -2
4 scores: lowest score -1
5 scores: lowest score
6 scores: average of lowest 2 -1
7-8 scores: average of lowest 2
9-11 scores: avg of lowest 3
12-14: avg of lowest 4
15-16: avg of lowest 5
17-18: avg of lowest 6
19: average of lowest 7
20: best 8 of 2

Get more cards in, it'll soon come up

Aah thanks, that's perfect ?
What isn't perfect is his handicap for our Texas scramble team tomorrow ?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Aah thanks, that's perfect ?
What isn't perfect is his handicap for our Texas scramble team tomorrow ?
The post by Bdill93 is not accurate. It is not based on scores but on Score Differentials.
This needs the Course Rating and Slope of the course & tees played
The Score Differential = (113/Slope) x (Gross score - Course Rating).
His Index is thne used to calculate his Course Handicap ie Index x (Slope/113) which means he will play off a few shots higher than 12 depending on the tees.

Have you got the Course Rating and Slope for the tees he played? We can show you how 12.1 was arrived at.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Only the best card is used, ignore the rest, and very roughly it is best score minus 2 shots so 14-12=12

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The post by Bdill93 is not accurate. It is not based on scores but on Score Differentials.
This needs the Course Rating and Slope of the course & tees played
The Score Differential = (113/Slope) x (Gross score - Course Rating).
His Index is thne used to calculate his Course Handicap ie Index x (Slope/113) which means he will play off a few shots higher than 12 depending on the tees.

Have you got the Course Rating and Slope for the tees he played? We can show you how 12.1 was arrived at.

Had the same convo with one of our group on WhatsApp, he didn't understand why one of our pp scores didn't count but was lower than another

Explained it was off yellows and that was off whites and the differancals are all that matters not scores themselves

These threads are so useful , found out more from here than our club

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Oddly rule4.5 doesn't mention differentials for initial index allocation, only scores.
But to have got the decimal figure of 12.1 a decimal related calculation must have been done. I hope the 3 scores in #121 were from different tees. Hopefully Fabia999 will soon let us know.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Interestingly we are seeing some excessive low scores but these are all from players with a full playing record. A couple have 20 scores since the end of lockdown. I guess it was ever thus!

Personally it's been the first time I have seen 2 X Net 60 win our medals and a 50 point stableford winner!

All got hit with Exceptional Score Adjustments.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Interestingly we are seeing some excessive low scores but these are all from players with a full playing record. A couple have 20 scores since the end of lockdown. I guess it was ever thus!

Personally it's been the first time I have seen 2 X Net 60 win our medals and a 50 point stableford winner!

All got hit with Exceptional Score Adjustments.
IMO it's all down (up) to Slope. Players are now getting the strokes they never had before.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
but that's a bit simplistic....because scores are desloped to get the index....the WHS giveth with one hand but taketh away with the other

I think it's even more simple

Index is your old handicap for want of anything more ... You then more often than not get more shots than that thus being able to score better making people happy

It's more accurate as it's constantly updating

And lower index get more a chance due to 95% rule

Think it's great

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
IMO it's all down (up) to Slope. Players are now getting the strokes they never had before.
Not sure I wholly agree as only one person was a relative newcomer - the others are all mature handicap players - they just had exceptional scores.

The person to feel sorry for was the guy who shot a net 63 and lost by 3!

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
but that's a bit simplistic....because scores are desloped to get the index....the WHS giveth with one hand but taketh away with the other
Not really. mjp was talking about 60 net scores and 50 points not indices. Slope has a direct effect on them

D

Deleted member 3432

Well thats interesting.....

Following the comp yesterday I'm at 2.8 giving me a CH of 3 off all the tees at Silloth.

Looking at my scores under the 'old' Congu handicapping I would be off 4.9 and a playing handicap of 5....

Never got below 3.8 in my prime so not sure that I'm a proper 3 handicapper despite playing some decent stuff at the moment and coming down 4 shots this season :ROFLMAO:

I suppose it demonstrates my current form which is like like night and day from recent seasons and shows that some quality lessons do work :D

Springveldt

Visit site
I think it's even more simple

Index is your old handicap for want of anything more ... You then more often than not get more shots than that thus being able to score better making people happy

It's more accurate as it's constantly updating

And lower index get more a chance due to 95% rule

Think it's great
Possibly for higher handicaps but before WHS my CONGU was 9.1. Now my WHS is 7.1 but with both of them I’m off of 9 at my place, so it’s not made a blind bit of difference.

It actually hurts me if I got to other courses with a lower slope as I end up playing off 8 at a lot of them.

It’s not like I’ve had loads of great scores either, I’ve just been consistently shooting 81 or 82 (71.1 rating 139 slope) which would have been buffer under congu most weeks as the css was usually 71.

Springveldt

Visit site
What about courses with a higher slope?
But remember it is both slope and course rating that sets your differential not just slope.
Not many courses I play with a rating/slope that will get me to 10 unless it’s some sort of championship course.

Actually just had a quick look. Even if I went to Close House and played the Blue tees on the Colt I’m still off 9 according the the England Golf app.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not many courses I play with a rating/slope that will get me to 10 unless it’s some sort of championship course.

Actually just had a quick look. Even if I went to Close House and played the Blue tees on the Colt I’m still off 9 according the the England Golf app.

So whs is saying your a true 9 handicap and need all 9 shots no?

Where as others need more