WHS working well for me

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
My non-comp rounds I like to experiment, hit daft shots, we have generous gimmes on occasions, take drops from not strictly the correct location.. I just can't get my head around the idea of these all counting towards our handicaps. o_O
You shouldn't be returning them for handicapping. All handicap rounds must be played by the Rules of Golf and you must endeavour to make your best score.

Last edited:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Old course rating is 68.3, slope 131 (par 68).
New one is 67.2, slope 117 (par 69).

The slope is obviously what makes the difference, because I have a counting score of 90 from my old course, and a non-counting score of 85 from the new course. That difference is ridiculous, there is no way on this earth that my new course is over 5 shots easier. It's just not. Something is wrong in those ratings.
There is something wrong with only taking 2 figures to prove a statically significant point.
What is the average differential of your last 20 scores at each course?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You shouldn't be returning them for handicapping. Haven't you read the instructions. All handicap rounds must be plated by the Rules of Golf and you must endeavour to make your best score.
Well, yeah. Hence why I haven't submitted any non-comp rounds, like I said.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
There is something wrong with only taking 2 figures to prove a statically significant point.
What is the average differential of your last 20 scores at each course?
We've already established I've only put 3 cards in at the new course. An 85 gross here equals 17.2 score diff, whereas a 90 on my old course gave a score diff of 16.1. It just doesn't make any sense to me. The numbers are making it appear that I'm expected to shoot 6 shots better at my new course?? It's a nonsense.

Visit site
I know some people who have been a member of a club for almost 3 years now and don’t have 20 cards in during that time!!

Their club has a league which runs for months, bi-weekly events, quite prestigious within the club, and yet they don’t put cards in. However, performing well earns you a “cut” for the purposes of the league only. So one friend, who is off 15, has several good scores and now gets about 11 shots in their ‘league’ events... but club matches etc he gets 15! I think that is totally wrong, they play proper rules of golf, no gimmes etc.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Have I got this right?

Score Differential
Old course = (90 - 68.3) x (113/131) = 21.7 x 0.86 = 18.7
New course = (85 - 67.2) x (113/117) = 17.8 x 0.97 = 17.2

Doesn't look like 6 shots.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Have I got this right?

Score Differential
Old course = (90 - 68.3) x (113/131) = 21.7 x 0.86 = 18.7
New course = (85 - 67.2) x (113/117) = 17.8 x 0.97 = 17.2

Doesn't look like 6 shots.
Are you asking me???

The 90 at my old course is counting as one of my best 8. 85 at the new course is not. This is how I've extrapolated that I need to be 6 shots better at my new course for it to count, apparently. Can you understand my issue now?

Vikingman

Head Pro
Visit site
Are you asking me???

The 90 at my old course is counting as one of my best 8. 85 at the new course is not. This is how I've extrapolated that I need to be 6 shots better at my new course for it to count, apparently. Can you understand my issue now?

What was the PCC on the days in question. If I look at my scores on the England golf app they are corrected for handicap adjustments (i.e net double bogie were applicable) but not for PCC.

To reconcile my scores with my handicap index I need to adjust the scores by the PCC.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
What was the PCC on the days in question. If I look at my scores on the England golf app they are corrected for handicap adjustments (i.e net double bogie were applicable) but not for PCC.

To reconcile my scores with my handicap index I need to adjust the scores by the PCC.
What shows on the WHS portal?

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
Doing loads of cards straight away would have been a terrible idea, unless I wanted my handicap to skyrocket. It's taken me this long to start getting used to the greens and not be hitting 38 putts per round!

If you’d done this, your handicap would have climbed, reflected your ability, and, if as you say, you are now improving again it would come back down. Is that what it is supposed to do?

I think what you are saying is that if you had done that, then gone back to your old course and played on your new higher handicap you’d have cleaned up. Is that the issue?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
There it is in IG. I have no idea how to check the PCC. (And the home club is wrong at the top, don't know why.)
Have the two club secretaries transferred your membership correctly?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Have the two club secretaries transferred your membership correctly?
Ah, ok. The two 90s from Haste Hill which are both counting scores, both say the PCC was 3! I don't fully know what that means but I guess it provides the explanation? My 85 at Grims Dyke, PCC is 0.

Also the home club issue is sorted now, I emailed GD last night when I noticed the error and they've sorted it.

Vikingman

Head Pro
Visit site
Ah, ok. The two 90s from Haste Hill which are both counting scores, both say the PCC was 3! I don't fully know what that means but I guess it provides the explanation? My 85 at Grims Dyke, PCC is 0.

Also the home club issue is sorted now, I emailed GD last night when I noticed the error and they've sorted it.

Looking at those scores you can see that on the 22 Aug 20 and 19 Sept 20 (both at Haste Hill) that adjusted gross scores of 90 and 87 both returned the same index of 16.1. I suspect the PCC on the 22nd Aug was 3 and the PCC on 19 Sept was 0, this would reduce the 22nd Aug score to 87 (90-3) thus equalling the score on the 19th Sept and returning the same index. I also suspect on 01st May 21 the Grims Dyke PCC was 1.

Do you have other scores counting towards your handicap index? I ask because you show nine scores, hence your index would use only your best three, I thus calculated your index at 15.3 but your app shows 15.1, hence the question.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Looking at those scores you can see that on the 22 Aug 20 and 19 Sept 20 (both at Haste Hill) that adjusted gross scores of 90 and 87 both returned the same index of 16.1. I suspect the PCC on the 22nd Aug was 3 and the PCC on 19 Sept was 0, this would reduce the 22nd Aug score to 87 (90-3) thus equalling the score on the 19th Sept and returning the same index. I also suspect on 01st May 21 the Grims Dyke PCC was 1.

Do you have other scores counting towards your handicap index? I ask because you show nine scores, hence your index would use only your best three, I thus calculated your index at 15.3 but your app shows 15.1, hence the question.
I just trimmed the list because all the rounds that I was specifically referring to were in the last ten so there was no point adding a bigger screenshot.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I just trimmed the list because all the rounds that I was specifically referring to were in the last ten so there was no point adding a bigger screenshot.
Yes I wondered about Vikingman's thought but realised you had truncated.

It effectively increases the Course Rating (ie the conditions were more difficult on that day).

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I find the best thing to do is not concern myself with how it all works, although I love figures and maths, and just play and put my scores in. The wife is really in to it all, loves to know how things work, but can't fathom WHS LOL ?. On another note both our scores weren't counted in our 8 scores to count, yet both our handicaps went up. Bonkers

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I find the best thing to do is not concern myself with how it all works, although I love figures and maths, and just play and put my scores in. The wife is really in to it all, loves to know how things work, but can't fathom WHS LOL ?. On another note both our scores weren't counted in our 8 scores to count, yet both our handicaps went up. Bonkers
Your 20th score, which might have been one of the 8, may have been demoted to 21st.