WHS working well for me

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
A decent Change Manager would have spotted the cultural aspects of the new system and focused the communications on these. I am still laughing at the video about the world wide uniform system that will encourage more people to play golf. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Classic cock up. Don't get me wrong, I love it, it's this lack of savvy/arrogance that has kept me in work for the past 20 years.

If you forget about trying to work it all out and just play golf.... you'll get used to the idea it reflects what you have scored, not what you think you are capable of on your best day. That's a big change in mindset.

It's far from perfect. In the long run it will do ok.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Wish we could say the same. Absurdity this week of a 48 point winner coming down from 20 to 11. Beyond me why people with so few rounds are given a handicap capable of playing in a competition.

That sounds to me that he has very few scores on his record and that 48 points round became the round that determined his HI as he was building up to 20 scores. I would have been re-visiting his playing/handicap history.

48 points is not necessarily absurd. Our Tuesday competition this week was won with 45 points by a player with 138 scores on his record. He did manage to have 2 blobs including one on a par 3 on which he would normally score a couple of points in most rounds.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
A minimum of 8, say. No reason why they can’t play any time, including comp days, just with their card only counting for handicap purposes. Take maybe a month. Doesn’t seem at all unreasonable to me. And much fairer on the other 100 people in the competition.
As you feel its reasonable there is nothing to stop you asking your comp committee to adopt your idea as a term of entry.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As you feel its reasonable there is nothing to stop you asking your comp committee to adopt your idea as a term of entry.

Why is it , especially in golf , that any kind of change is seemed as bad and people would rather stick with a system and have issues they moan about than actually move with times

Not just this issue just lots of little bits

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why is it , especially in golf , that any kind of change is seemed as bad and people would rather stick with a system and have issues they moan about than actually move with times

So have you asked your club to adopt your idea?

I have no problem with change, we as a club have adopted it, you are the one that doesn’t appear to be happy with the current changes.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So have you asked your club to adopt your idea?

I have no problem with change, we as a club have adopted it, you are the one that doesn’t appear to be happy with the current changes.

Where have I said that? I like whs I think for those with a history it's fantastic idea and once bedded in will be an useful tool

However still just 3 cards for first handicap? Seems odd when it's best 8 of 20

Like others have said 8 cards wouldn't be that bad an idea

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
After they have all 20 cards so you see their true average as in 20 rounds you would get a full reflection of ability

From memory ( I no longer have access) prior to the WHS starting that would have precluded around half of our members from playing comps.

You only need about 16 to show a reasonably accurate reflection of ability.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Where have I said that? I like whs I think for those with a history it's fantastic idea and once bedded in will be an useful tool

As HC Sec I can only follow the rules of the WHS although as I posted there is nothing to stop you (or any club) asking the club to adopt it in their conditions of entry.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

With only 8 cards they would get the average of the lowest 2.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Wish we could say the same. Absurdity this week of a 48 point winner coming down from 20 to 11. Beyond me why people with so few rounds are given a handicap capable of playing in a competition.
always been the same but at least they’ll struggle to get back up to 20 now.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Seniors comp this week. The winner had a net 60 and won by 4 shots. It seems the players with not many counting scores have now got much higher handicaps than before.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk

Change is hard and change done well is very hard. Google "why change fails" you'll get millions of lines. Most answers will mention "people" rather than time and resources.

Communication is not change management, but effective change management requires lots of communication.

I'd love to know who advised golf authorities about this. My guess is no one did.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Change is hard and change done well is very hard. Google "why change fails" you'll get millions of lines. Most answers will mention "people" rather than time and resources.

Communication is not change management, but effective change management requires lots of communication.

I'd love to know who advised golf authorities about this. My guess is no one did.

I personally like it. However I listened to Rick shiels postcast and the lady who was head of the change was on there and gave a good understanding

Guess it's down to a what people read up on and b the information from handicap secs

Ours is terrible. I mean the comp this week was Thursday and we still don't know the results / round not entered into whs which has to be done by midnight no?

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
A decent Change Manager would have spotted the cultural aspects of the new system and focused the communications on these. I am still laughing at the video about the world wide uniform system that will encourage more people to play golf. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Classic cock up. Don't get me wrong, I love it, it's this lack of savvy/arrogance that has kept me in work for the past 20 years.

If you forget about trying to work it all out and just play golf.... you'll get used to the idea it reflects what you have scored, not what you think you are capable of on your best day. That's a big change in mindset.

It's far from perfect. In the long run it will do ok.
I never had a handicap under the old system so am not embedded in years of doing it the old way. But the current way seems to be working for me and my club. Those struggling are people who are used to the old way.

One rainy Saturday I took the time to read up loads of the published info about how it all works. I found that very helpful, but I am a numbers person and like detail.

Not sure that one system is inherently better than another; they are just different.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site

Change management is 100% people management.

If I had £5 for every time someone has told me "but that's not the way we used to do it" I would be very rich.

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site

Many of us like routine. And it is disruptive when routines are forced to change because we feel we are losing control.

Some people of course love change and new things, and are great at looking forward to new opportunities and new schemes to get started.

My suspicion is that golf clubs members will tend to the former rather than the latter.