WHS working well for me

D

Deleted member 3432

I'm fairly similar, 7 of my 8 from this year. Next 6 rounds are non counting so hoping to make more inroads into getting back to where I want to be.

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
It's working well for me too. I got my first three cards in just before the last lockdown and since the reopening a few months go, am slowly building up my rounds with a combination of general play 9 hole and 18 hole rounds, and getting started in comps. 6 rounds in at the moment, so my lowest two are averaged with a further -1 adjustment.

Off that I've played a matchplay comp where I was given 12 shots; I won it on the first playoff hole so it was a tight game. I played a Stableford comp (95%) and got 28 points - slap bang in the middle of the field of about 50 players on a day the weather conditions were benign the rough was up, and I wasn't at my best. I've played informally a few times off my course handicap and got 30-34 points. I have had three friendly matchplay rounds - win 2&1 in one over 9 holes where i was given about a shot per hole, 3&2 in the other where I got about 12 shots, and lost one 2&1 where I got about 17 shots. So it seems pretty fair in that it is making for competitive matches and leaving me with average results as I am not playing loads better, or loads worse than it.

Ahead of my next matchplay comp round I'm going to put my 7th round in. If I play badly the worst that can happen is my Index will go up 1 as I will lose the -1 adjustment, my current third lowest will come into the averaging, and the round I play won't count towards the average, and it won't give me more shots for the forthcoming match. If I play well, index could come down and I'll get fewer shots; that's what I'm hoping for even if it means the match is harder to win!

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My most recent 'top 8' score is from September 2020. That was the 5th one of 5 in a row that are all counting, so I must have been on form then I guess. My oldest counting score is from September 2019. That's going off in two rounds time. It's also the second best score unfortunately.

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Played 5 comps had small 3 drops 0.9 in total. Under the old system I’d have had a 0.2 cut, 2 buffers and 2 0.1s.
Definitely, working for me.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
gonna lose 4 of my best 8 in the next 6 rounds....current form indicates that I might replace these four with one score that is better than any of them and three that are worse.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
17 scores in the system now - 6 cards now being averaged to calculate my handicap.

Currently sat at 18.4. Im commonly breaking 30 points every time I play, had 22 over 9 holes last night but I havent submitted that.

Oldest handicap card is from December 2020 - also my lowest! The rest are all from the last 2/3 weeks so I'm in a good patch right now. A couple low 80's and I'll be around where id like to be by the end of the year - then I just have to remain there :ROFLMAO:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Although my index has gone up and is liable to go up even more over the next 4 or 5 rounds I do think it is working well as it is reflecting how I am scoring

My main point is that my H.I was reflecting how I once played. I reached the soft cap this year. It now reflects pretty much how I have played during the past year with particular emphasis on current ability. Looks like I am now in a period of relative stability handicap wise and the only way is lower for the foreseeable future.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
It’ll hopefully be the death of the bandit to a certain extent as their HI will follow them rather than putting 3 cards in again at a new club.

I’ve also noticed there’s fewer runaway winners at our club.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have played 40 "qualifiers" since the end of lockdown and my HI today is 0.1 lower than that first game after lockdown. Confirms that the more scores you put in, the more accurate the HI.

Reactions: Val

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
WHS is still a work in progress for some. We have one member who did not have any qualifying cards last year due to covid. He started this year at 8 and drifted up to 13. Last Saturday he shot a net 59 and came down to 3.6. His true current handicap will not be shown until he has the 20 qualifying scores in.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm seeing less complaints about the system now than at the start of the season which would indicate people are now more used to how its working. I think it's straight forward and more about form than ability than the old system, and rightly so.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I've posted a number of times that I'm shooting up in handicap but I dont dislike the system. I've struggled a bit since the last lock down ended and my scores show that. I've gone from 14 handicap the day before WHS to 16.9 today, but factor in the slope adjustment I'm now off 19 on white tees. I fear some decent, low handicapper with a great score is going to suffer me shooting a sub 80 round and winning a competition with an obscene nett score soon!

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My 18th card goes in the system today .. which will lower my handicap again

The system is working well for me

I love the EG app and use it constantly even at my home course because the handicap sec at my home course says if we don't hand in cards after using IG he will delete the rounds so to save the faff of cards we just use EG as it signs and some how it bypasses his reach lol perfect

18th card today. 18 hole comp, return to the whites for first time for a while due to covid. Injured my back but played very well .. 34 points let's see what that achieves

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My 18th card goes in the system today .. which will lower my handicap again

The system is working well for me

I love the EG app and use it constantly even at my home course because the handicap sec at my home course says if we don't hand in cards after using IG he will delete the rounds so to save the faff of cards we just use EG as it signs and some how it bypasses his reach lol perfect

18th card today. 18 hole comp, return to the whites for first time for a while due to covid. Injured my back but played very well .. 34 points let's see what that achieves

I was just about to use the EG app yesterday when I remembered that neither of the guys I was playing with have it. One them also wanted to put in a card so it was an opportunity to go through the IG/PSI system with him. It was also an opportunity to explain why it was not necessary for me to hit a provisional ball or bother about a lost ball on 2 holes and go back to the tee to hit another one. He had thought that all rounds had to be medal and holed out on every hole.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I love the EG app and use it constantly even at my home course because the handicap sec at my home course says if we don't hand in cards after using IG he will delete the rounds
Your score should still be counted for handicap purposes. WHS Interpretation 2.1b/1