WHS: What now for golf unions ?

User20204

Visit site
I've just had an interesting phone conversation with our county secretary and amongst other things we were discussing levies and golf unions and he reckons the gun to the head of golf union levies will be a thing of the past come the WHS as it's being run by the R&A/USGA. I have always had a bone of contention paying the levy when I feel I get nothing in return other than a handicap.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Whilst an individual may feel the get nothing much that is not necessarily the case at club level.

The County give clubs quite a number of back up services re handicaps. An independent route for handicap appeals for example.

They run a lot of county and cross county championships. They are the first port of call if an event needs a qualified referee.

They are responsible for setting course ratings.

Not sure where you are getting the R&A will run handicaps from if CONGU is dissolved it will still need another committee set up within the R&A and the levy might just come from them instead. Are they going to administer the HDB for example?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
It is almost certain that the R&A will not get directly involved in the operation of the WHS. The national unions are the ones responsible in organising the software to manage competitions at club/county/national level. I doubt the national unions will have the resources and access to volunteers to run everything the counties do.
In no particular order: Handicap advice, coaching of elite players from boys upwards, various county (individual and team) championships, county card, club development, referees for county, national and international events, course rating.

D

Deleted member 15344

twas the words of the county secretary I spoke to, wasn't my words.
Wouldn’t be the first country Secretary to not have the first clue about what’s going on in regards Handicap systems

Congu and the golf unions will be still looking at the Handicaps etc the the golf unions will still have a levy.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Whilst an individual may feel the get nothing much that is not necessarily the case at club level.

The County give clubs quite a number of back up services re handicaps. An independent route for handicap appeals for example.

They run a lot of county and cross county championships. They are the first port of call if an event needs a qualified referee.

They are responsible for setting course ratings.

Not sure where you are getting the R&A will run handicaps from if CONGU is dissolved it will still need another committee set up within the R&A and the levy might just come from them instead. Are they going to administer the HDB for example?

Possibly in England but I've never heard of a "handicap appeal" Oop North.

Lucky if we get 1 handicap and one scratch championship Oop North.

Course rating, you mean utter nonsense with a "formula" however as I have said on numerous occasions I'm not a fan of the course rating system.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's disappointing that it appears that some don't seem to fully understand exactly what county unions do. I do agree that they don't appear to do much for the higher handicap members and do tend to support members clubs more than proprietary clubs in our area.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
It is almost certain that the R&A will not get directly involved in the operation of the WHS. The national unions are the ones responsible in organising the software to manage competitions at club/county/national level. I doubt the national unions will have the resources and access to volunteers to run everything the counties do.
In no particular order: Handicap advice, coaching of elite players from boys upwards, various county (individual and team) championships, county card, club development, referees for county, national and international events, course rating.

RF, that's a lot of things that county/ union runs. But it's not a lot that affects 99.9 % of players with the great exception of county cards.

Last edited:

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
It's disappointing that it appears that some don't seem to fully understand exactly what county unions do. I do agree that they don't appear to do much for the higher handicap members and do tend to support members clubs more than proprietary clubs in our area.

This^^ and I don't mind being the first to be educated re what they do. Not saying they don't do owt, coz it has been listed already what they do. But it won't hurt to inform us.

User20204

Visit site

So in summary, very little for the ordinary player. As the sec I spoke to words, what do I get for my county levi.....very little or nothing tbh, he went on to say, you get even less at national level for a much bigger levi other than a current handicap.

User20204

Visit site
Perhaps you should get involved with your county and offer assistance where required. Most are unpaid hard working volunteers.

You seem to be trying for knob of the year award.

I think the point he is trying to make is, unless you are a very low handicap player, the counties really do nothing for you. The guy I spoke to last night more or less admitted that. That is the perception and on the face of it, seems the reality.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think the point he is trying to make is, unless you are a very low handicap player, the counties really do nothing for you. The guy I spoke to last night more or less admitted that. That is the perception and on the face of it, seems the reality.

That used to be the case in Devon but that is being put right with completions around the county that all can enter. It happened because ordinary people decided to take more control of their union.

User20204

Visit site
Thing is the competitions are very poorly supported, guy said to me last night, you can enter the summer meeting at my own course for £10, yet I can play in my own club competition on the same day for nothing, bit of a no brainer really and no I don't know why their events are so poorly supported.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I've just had an interesting phone conversation with our county secretary and amongst other things we were discussing levies and golf unions and he reckons the gun to the head of golf union levies will be a thing of the past come the WHS as it's being run by the R&A/USGA. I have always had a bone of contention paying the levy when I feel I get nothing in return other than a handicap.

personally i feel i get very little from what i pay our union, two clubs, don't enter national comps, play most of my golf at home course...

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

Lucky if we get 1 handicap and one scratch championship Oop North.

Course rating, you mean utter nonsense with a "formula" however as I have said on numerous occasions I'm not a fan of the course rating system.
Where is oop north? Sounds like Yorkshire.

I know I'm going to regret this but what don't you like about the course rating system?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
My county runs a County Members scheme. There are 9 handicap singles events held during the season at a variety of courses (changed every year). Fields of 160 - 200+ entrants.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

If your club does not have an appeals procedure re handicaps reviews then they should have

CONGU
23.6 The Union, Area Authority or Home Club shall direct the appeal procedure to be made available to a player should he be dissatisfied with a determination under the foregoing sub-clauses.