WHS - tee choice

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sorry for another thread on WHS, but I’ve got loads of questions that keep coming up.
in the new system, will clubs continue to designate a tee to be played off for competitions, or can say - player a) play off the black tees (getting 6 shots) and player b) play off the whites and get 5 shots
assuming same handicaps

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sorry for another thread on WHS, but I’ve got loads of questions that keep coming up.
in the new system, will clubs continue to designate a tee to be played off for competitions, or can say - player a) play off the black tees (getting 6 shots) and player b) play off the whites and get 5 shots assuming same handicaps
Clubs will decide but playing handicaps will vary from tees to tees.
However, CONGU has/had the same facility to play a comp from multiple tees (although the arithmetic is different) and it seems very few clubs took up the option. I don't see it changing much.

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If it is one competition it gets more complicated if you have players playing from different tees.

Players may need course adjustment shots added to their handicaps

It is based upon the difference in the course rating for each tee if it is a handicap comp and the difference between each player depending on what number of points constitutes playing to handicap off each tee in a Stableford comp.

It is normally only done in Mixed Sex comps.

Reference Rules of Handicapping 6.2b

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Given that I get 12 shots off the blues (old whites), and 12 off the whites (old yellows), and potentially 12 off the golds (old reds), given a choice in comps, why would I play off any tee other than the golds?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Given that I get 12 shots off the blues (old whites), and 12 off the whites (old yellows), and potentially 12 off the golds (old reds), given a choice in comps, why would I play off any tee other than the golds?

Because the terms of the competition might make you do so.

We are allowed to choose which tee we play from and my mates and I always choose the whites immediately before a comp for the practice.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Because the Course Rating may be lower off the yelows/golds and your Playing Handicap reduced as a result.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
in the new system, will clubs continue to designate a tee to be played off for competitions, or can say - player a) play off the black tees (getting 6 shots) and player b) play off the whites and get 5 shots
assuming same handicaps
I can't imagine any change from the way comps are run now, so all off the same tees still.