WHS & ISV Issues (Please post only if you are a handicap secretary or involved in admin at your club)

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Please refer to the following section in the WHS User Guide:

New Members: Adding a Member (change of home club/adding a participant to the club membership list)

The User Guide can be downloaded from THIS LINK

Follow the process to add 'New Member' entering the Welsh/Irish CDH id in the 'Previous Membership' field, and selecting the relevant country from the pop-up menu country drop down (as shown below):

doADnI9A3RYhDGXxHIk3RoYnbzTGYugRsw.png

The existing member will appear in the search results and you can continue to add the member ensuring you enter their email address and date of birth in the relevant fields.

Once you click ‘Submit’ an English CDH id will be generated for the member to use in England which will be linked to their Welsh/Irish CDH ID they’ll continue to use in Wales/Ireland.

wjemather

Visit site
Some time ago there was a release either from the R&A or CONGU stating that a golf union could accept Playing Handicap or Handicap Index on the scorecard, rather than insisting on Course Handicap. I know it was posted on here somewhere, but I cant find it now either here or online. Could someone provide a link, please? Thanks in advance.
It's in the interpretations and clarifications of the rules of golf (3.3b(4)/1 and 3.3b(4)/C1); it allows national associations to diverge from the interpretation of Course Handicap.
CONGU reaffirm Course Handicap as the requirement in GB&I.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
A question for Club V1 / HDID users.

We are having problems when entering GP rounds via the PSI terminals in our clubhouse. The problem occurs when entering a score incorrectly and then trying to edit it. If the player does this the score is corrupted and will not be sent to the WHS system and just sits there in error. If you try to edit it from admin you see 27 or 36 holes rather than 18 and can't delete any of them to make it acceptable to WHS. The only option is to delete the round and re-enter from admin which is a pain.

This doesn't occur for competitions, only GP. I have reported this several times to Club Systems but their second line support say they can't find a fault even thought I have left errant entries on the system.

Has anyone else seen this?
This still isn't working despite CS acknowledging the problem. 3 more instances today. Really frustrating that a hard error is taking so long to fix!

Sorry rant over - breath.

IanMcC

Visit site
Another CV1 flaw. We have a Texas Scramble Open coming up soon. It is oversubscribed, and we wanted to add a few more teeslots. We already had about 12 holes with 2 groups on, but wanted to add a few more.
After trying unsuccessfully to do this, a phone call to Club Systems revealed that the only way to add more slots is to completely remove ALL players from the start sheet, then add the new slots, then re-populate the start sheet.
I had to do that, making note of who had paid and who hadn't.

How dopey is that!!!

wjemather

Visit site
Another CV1 flaw. We have a Texas Scramble Open coming up soon. It is oversubscribed, and we wanted to add a few more teeslots. We already had about 12 holes with 2 groups on, but wanted to add a few more.
After trying unsuccessfully to do this, a phone call to Club Systems revealed that the only way to add more slots is to completely remove ALL players from the start sheet, then add the new slots, then re-populate the start sheet.
I had to do that, making note of who had paid and who hadn't.

How dopey is that!!!
Yes, not being able to reconfigure populated competition start sheets in even a minor way that doesn't affect existing bookings is a particular annoyance.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
One for the IG users please.

We have a member who is a Home player at our club but he is also a member of another club who are an IG user.

Some scores have turned up in his EG record for our club - both GP and Competition (and bizarrely matchplay) which have been entered from the other club. When I challenged him about these he said he thought his home club was the other club so he had entered all his scores there.

I don't see how this is possible but I don't know IG.

Is it possible (without admin rights) for a user to enter scores in IG for another club? If not, any idea how this could happen?

wjemather

Visit site
Yes, not being able to reconfigure populated competition start sheets in even a minor way that doesn't affect existing bookings is a particular annoyance.
Similarly, changing a set of tees for a mixed team competition cannot be done, resulting in the need to recreate the entire competition and start sheet. That's yet another hour I'm not getting back due to bad design/programming!

IanMcC

Visit site
So, its our Handicap Club Champs this weekend. 36 hole comp, 18 on Saturday and 18 on Sunday.
If someone is a no show for their Sunday round, should they be given a penalty score? It is, I suppose, and unsatisfied intent.

IanMcC

Visit site
I’m not sure they would as under V1 you register for each 18 comp separately if I remember correctly.
I have set the comp up as a 36 hole event. The two rounds are separate inside the comp, but the comp is one entity of 36 holes, if you like.
You are right in as much as you have to sign in for the second round again, so I suppose no penalty score involved.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have set the comp up as a 36 hole event. The two rounds are separate inside the comp, but the comp is one entity of 36 holes, if you like.
You are right in as much as you have to sign in for the second round again, so I suppose no penalty score involved.
IMO it will be one competition but two handicap rounds as there will be two 'registrations'.

Last edited:

wjemather

Visit site
So, its our Handicap Club Champs this weekend. 36 hole comp, 18 on Saturday and 18 on Sunday.
If someone is a no show for their Sunday round, should they be given a penalty score? It is, I suppose, and unsatisfied intent.
See CONGU guidance G2.1a(2)&(3) - rounds not started (for whatever reason) do not count for handicapping, so Penalty Scores shouldn't be applied although disciplinary sanctions may.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Bogey Comps and handicap Scores

In an attempt to speed-up play our Men's Section ran a bogey competition last week. I was asked (post-competition) to confirm the impact of scoring wrt handicap. My initial response was that if you couldn't at least half a hole you should pick-up and I assumed a net bogey would be added to your score.

Apparently this is not the case as I was informed a nett double bogey was allocated to any holes "lost" to the course.

This begged the question of when to pick-up. Forgetting the difference between playing handicap and course handicap for a moment, if a player misses a putt to half a hole with the course it is worth holing the putt for a loss and recording a bogey rather than being given a double bogey by default for handicap purposes. Is this correct?

If so it works against the normal view of a par/bogey comp which encourages you to pick-up if you can't score against the course. It's much nearer stableford logic of a point for a bogey.

I've looked in the manuals but can't find a specific reference - can anyone help please?

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Bogey Comps and handicap Scores

In an attempt to speed-up play our Men's Section ran a bogey competition last week. I was asked (post-competition) to confirm the impact of scoring wrt handicap. My initial response was that if you couldn't at least half a hole you should pick-up and I assumed a net bogey would be added to your score.

Apparently this is not the case as I was informed a nett double bogey was allocated to any holes "lost" to the course.

This begged the question of when to pick-up. Forgetting the difference between playing handicap and course handicap for a moment, if a player misses a putt to half a hole with the course it is worth holing the putt for a loss and recording a bogey rather than being given a double bogey by default for handicap purposes. Is this correct?

If so it works against the normal view of a par/bogey comp which encourages you to pick-up if you can't score against the course. It's much nearer stableford logic of a point for a bogey.

I've looked in the manuals but can't find a specific reference - can anyone help please?

CONGU Handicapping Advice - Page 39

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
To clarify, I think it is on Page 38 (albeit Page 39 overall, as title page isn't numbered).In Bogey format, if a player fails to hole out once the hole is ‘lost’ they will be credited with a Nett Double Bogey. For handicap purposes, the player should continue to play until they either hole out or their Nett Score (with reference to their Course Handicap) will be higher than a Nett Double Bogey.

Last sentence in 1st section on "Stroke Play Competitions: Stableford and Par/Bogey"

In Bogey format, if a player fails to hole out once the hole is ‘lost’ they will be credited with a Nett Double Bogey. For handicap purposes, the player should continue to play until they either hole out or their Nett Score (with reference to their Course Handicap) will be higher than a Nett Double Bogey.

That is from page 39 of my manual'

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Professional Handicap

Sorry to ask again but we have 2 of our professionals who now have a WHS record and have been lodging cards when they play in certain club competitions. Interestingly the spread of HI is +3.5 to 3.5. These can be used to calculate team playing handicaps or individual ones depending on the event - these are mainly social / charity not board type events.

Does anyone have a policy for professionals playing in club competitions? Our was that they all play off scratch but with the evolution of WHS I'm not sure that holds.

Swango1980

Visit site
In Bogey format, if a player fails to hole out once the hole is ‘lost’ they will be credited with a Nett Double Bogey. For handicap purposes, the player should continue to play until they either hole out or their Nett Score (with reference to their Course Handicap) will be higher than a Nett Double Bogey.

That is from page 39 of my manual'
I'm not sure I get those exact words at all, unless my eyes deceive me. On Page 38 (i.e. the page references at the bottom of each page), I read:

"As with Maximum Score, players should not pick up too soon in Stableford or Par/Bogey formats - they should play with reference to their Course Handicaps in such events and let the software deal with the competition outcome."

Are we looking at the same document. To be fair, the quickest way for me to find it is via Google. I am reading "Guidance on the WHS Rules of Handicapping as Applied within GB&I", Version 1.3 NOTE: I just noticed it is the Scottish Version, so not sure if that has anything to do with it.

wjemather

Visit site
Professional Handicap

Sorry to ask again but we have 2 of our professionals who now have a WHS record and have been lodging cards when they play in certain club competitions. Interestingly the spread of HI is +3.5 to 3.5. These can be used to calculate team playing handicaps or individual ones depending on the event - these are mainly social / charity not board type events.

Does anyone have a policy for professionals playing in club competitions? Our was that they all play off scratch but with the evolution of WHS I'm not sure that holds.
Our terms of competition state that pros will play off either +2.0 HI or their WHS HI and are ineligible for certain prizes/trophies.