WHS Introduction Flyer

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Many thanks... I think I did mean Course Handicap.... Handicap Index explanation looks like another example of over engineering. It's either an average of best 8 from last 20, or it isn't.....it's maths. Or maybe the Rules-dudes are trying to mix the "rationale for it," with the "method of calculation" in the notes?

But need to clarify, the 8 scores used are the difference from the "abnormal course and weather conditions adjustment" number (in old money what would have been the CSS of the day??)

Blimey... I think I am starting to get this now. I guess our club handicapping software will give me the 8 from 20, the charts give me the "Course Handicap, " and if playing match-play, the other person will sort out their course handicap, then you do the difference as you do now. You'll soon know what you home course handicap is and most folk will just get used to it!
1) It is and it isn't. If a player is getting an initial handicap or at transition from CONGU to WHS, they may not have 20 scores in the bank.

2) The Score Differential includes the PCC adjustment.

3) a) The club software will only handle competition management (ie comp set up, player entry and score entry and comp results).
b) At comp entry, the club system will confirm and display the course/tees you are playing, your handicap index, your course handicap for the relevant tees and your playing handicap (95%). If your club has the right hardware, it may print a label to affix to your card.
b) The raw score data will be sent to the WHS software which will process all handicap adjustments. This will include the 8/20 work. Any resultant adjustments will be returned overnight to the club's system

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is this PCC going to work in a similar manner to the current CSS. I notice it can move from -1 to +3...just like CSS
I haven't got access to the algorithm but I understand that it is closely aligned to the existing Australian algorithm. It is not like the CONGU tables but is rather more sophisticated.
The scores of all players are examined and compared with their 'expected' score. There is then some fancy juggling and out comes the PCC :unsure:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Main difference is it considers all acceptable rounds played during the day not just the specific competition.
A minor correction - it takes scores entered during the day related to play on that day. So a 'supplementary' entered the next day will not be considered in the PCC. But competition scores entered on the day will be considered even if the comp has not been closed.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
erm.... it was a cut and paste from the points you posted :confused:

Think it might refer to the adjustment made for non-matchplay (95%) - at least that was what I intended

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is this just to confuse all your Members who are playing under the current handicap system pretty much all/most of this season?
I must admit it may be a little early to be targeting member yet.
It will generate a lot more questions which I suspect many club and handicap administrators will not be able to answer yet. The latter are only getting a briefing now in order to prepare themselves.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Is this just to confuse all your Members who are playing under the current handicap system pretty much all/most of this season?
Not the intention as it is intended to be distributed with the membership renewals in March.

Guess it depends if you believe in mushroom management - personally I believe that providing correct information is better than letting the rumours / misinformation becoming the truth. There will be a lot written in the next couple of months and anything that encourages members to submit more cards this season will be good.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played at Silves in Portugal today and before going looked up the slope rating and saw it was 118, so used the published tables on line to work with my handicap index I'd get 5 shots. However once we arrived and looked at the published tables by the reception desk my handicap index would only give me 3 shots.How does that work ?
I thought all courses with say 118 as theri SR were then the same but maybe not ?
For information Silves CR is 67,7

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Played at Silves in Portugal today and before going looked up the slope rating and saw it was 118, so used the published tables on line to work with my handicap index I'd get 5 shots. However once we arrived and looked at the published tables by the reception desk my handicap index would only give me 3 shots.How does that work ?
I thought all courses with say 118 as theri SR were then the same but maybe not ?
O
have they factored in the new handicap allowances under WHS? Where you playing a match or stroke play etc?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
But how did you get a WHS handicap index if you play in Shropshire?

What published tables did you use?

Did you take the (CR-Par) factor in. Used in Europe but won'r be used by CONGU

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
But how did you get a WHS handicap index if you play in Shropshire?

What published tables did you use?

Did you take the (CR-Par) factor in. Used in Europe but won'r be used by CONGU
See link above for published and in the essence of embracing the new system have been using our exact handicaps from home as our index ??

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
See link above for published and in the essence of embracing the new system have been using our exact handicaps from home as our index ??
The only information I can see is the image of the card in post #36 which gives 5 from 6.6-7.4 and 3 from 4.6-5.5
What exact handicap did you use?
Course Handicap = Handicap Index * (Slope / 113) + (Course Rating - Par)
The last bracket will not be used by CONGU but I believe it will in Europe.

Incidentally, has Portugal actually implemented WHS yet?

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
The only information I can see is the image of the card in post #36 which gives 5 from 6.6-7.4 and 3 from 4.6-5.5

Incidentally, has Portugal actually implemented WHS yet?[/QUOTt ex

Incidentally, has Portugal actually implemented WHS yet?
My exact is 4.6 and looking at the chart closer I see it's EGA .
So are their SR different to USGA ?
Don't know about Portugal and WHS