WHS Introduction Flyer

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
The CR formula has changed for the USGA. They now include + (CR-Par) in the calculation when they didn't before. Whereas I believe EGA did.
Could it be you had seen an 'old' USGA chart?

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
The CR formula has changed for the USGA. They now include + (CR-Par) in the calculation when they didn't before. Whereas I believe EGA did.
Could it be you had seen an 'old' USGA chart?

https://postimg.cc/MMnvxzPG
This is the table from today , Slope rating higher but less shots using 4.6.
The USGA ones I've been using have been online.
From research last night looks like Portugal are going over to WHS May to Aug
Have you a link to the tables you use please ?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm in England. We don't change til November 2nd and won't be using (CR - Par)

But the tables are different from course to course and tee to tee

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Those handicaps are adjusted to par ie they do not represent purely the handicap index relative to slope and course rating - your clue is in the adjustment shown to scr golfers from each tee...

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Those handicaps are adjusted to par ie they do not represent purely the handicap index relative to slope and course rating - your clue is in the adjustment shown to scr golfers from each tee...
So when UK clubs publish their tables will they be similar ?

So should we have used the USGA tables for our trip out here then , rather than the local ones ?

Last edited:

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
So when UK clubs publish their tables will they be similar ?

So should we have used the USGA tables for our trip out here then , rather than the local ones ?
No, they will follow the WHS basis, and have stated that they wont include the CR/PAR adjustment.

Why would you use USGA tables in an EGA handicapping region not currently implementing the WHS? Or, put another way, it's entirely up to you what you decide to use. Note the way those tables have been done delivers a simple handicap shift; the relative handicaps are the same as the USGA calculations (or should be!)

Swango1980

Visit site
This (copied from National Club Golfer) is a reasonable taster

World Handicap System key features
  • WHS will use the USGA course and slope rating system – your handicap will change depending on the difficulty of the course and the competition conditions
  • A minimum of 54 holes will be required to gain a handicap but that can come from any combination of 9 or 18-hole scores
  • Handicaps will be calculated using the best eight of the last 20 scores. The 0.1 increase will disappear
  • Both competitive and recreational rounds Supplementary Scores will be able to count for handicap
  • CSS will be replaced by a new system known as the abnormal course and weather conditions adjustment

I believe the highlighted bit above probably needs rewording, as it will cause confusion to golfers when it comes in. As far as I am aware, the "course" handicap does NOT change based on the difficulty of the course, it only changes based on the relative difficulty between scratch and bogey players (i.e. the Slope). So, you will have courses with similar slope ratings, yet there is a big difference in what CR is relative to par.

This being the case, I'm wondering why, after the calculation of Handicap Index x Slope / 113 to get course handicap, why will a a further adjustment not be made where (CR-Par) is added to get the final course handicap? As I understand, this is what is / will be done in North America. And, it seems that it would get rid of most of the confusion, as players will not be puzzled why they are not getting more shots at a tough course. It will also allow them to compare their score to a standard 36 points when working out if they played to handicap or not, which we all know most golfers do now anyway (incorrectly)