WHS doesn't work

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
But has he been playing average to worse golf throughout that period?
Yeah of course he has. I was just saying that next time he could arrest the slump, play brilliantly, put in a card of 77 and he'll still be going up anyway. :LOL:
Limiting 'damage' is the wrong way to think about it. If he cannot shoot the 74 or 73, tgen the hc increase is reflecting the reality.
Maybe people are used to hiding behind the slow increase of the ucs, even when the hc they still had was too low for them.
He scored a 73 20 rounds ago. He hasnt done so in the later 19, and if he doesnt in his next round, then it seems reasonable that his hc should rise. Not unreasonable that the system is going to increase his hc if he doesnt shoot 73 or 74 next game out. Last decent round 83. The hc has to rise. Is he feeling agrieved by that ?
No I don't think he could give a blind toss, he's given up all hope of ever playing well again sadly. I think I just don't like the situation that this system sometimes puts you in, that you feel like you need to beat that one round from 20 rounds ago. Obviously it wasn't designed to make you feel that way, but that's how it ends up feeling in reality. Whereas in the old system that good old round would have seen him cut a few shots at the time and then forgotten about really.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's interesting that some clubs are having this problem, others are not. Mine isn't for example but I see the problem at yours. The question is why is it happening at your place and not at mine? I'm not being smart by the way, I don't have the answer.

Has your club looked at these results, looked at the number of cards put in by the people with exceptional scores, are they new starters and so improving etc? There may be a correlation between them that your club can react to. The system is working at many clubs so it suggests that something within your club needs a tweak but without delving into the stats it is hard to know what that is.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's interesting that some clubs are having this problem, others are not. Mine isn't for example but I see the problem at yours. The question is why is it happening at your place and not at mine? I'm not being smart by the way, I don't have the answer.

Has your club looked at these results, looked at the number of cards put in by the people with exceptional scores, are they new starters and so improving etc? There may be a correlation between them that your club can react to. The system is working at many clubs so it suggests that something within your club needs a tweak but without delving into the stats it is hard to know what that is.
Might be slope/course rating related? If the slope is too high then higher handicappers could be getting too many shots week in week out.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site

I think its coming down to a few things:

1)
Old boys play more golf. 3 comps a week at our place if they fancy it. Their handicaps are far more accurate to current ability as they simply play and submit more cards.
I on the other hand am lucky to submit a card a week. I play 9 holes by myself some evenings and while some Sunday roll ups go in for handicap, not all of them do. I have scores still in my best 20 from over a year ago - my handicap has dropped 6 shots in 12 months and itll be ages till that goes back up (it wont over winter)

2)
20ish handicappers seem to be winning the most - no surprise to me - our track isn't the hardest, anyone half decent can break 90 - if you're off 22 and have a semi average 15 over, that's a gross 64 at our place - more than possible for a low 20's guy. If the track was longer, the older guys would suffer more.

3)
One great round doesn't cut you as much as it used to. All these exceptional rounds now do is amend someone's handicap by a shot or two. Before, if you played well under you'd be in for a much bigger cut from the mid 20's and it would take time to go back up. I witnessed a 22 handicapper shoot 51 points the other week. He played off 13 a year ago. Made me feel sick.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
As policing handicaps on an individual basis is impossible,
It certainly shouldn't be, if you have a H'cap Sec who is paying attention.

What I've seen at both my clubs is that the handicaps have settled down, last year there were a swathe of stupid scoring, suggesting that the conversions down behind the scenes had been to aggressive in cutting low and raising high handicaps. However that's virtually gone this season, and winners are now spread across the field.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
The calculated adjustment is dependent upon:
Whether significantly fewer players than anticipated attained their expected score
Whether significantly more players than anticipated attained their expected score
Like I said.. it's about the scoring.
SILH was wondering why, on a nice day, PCC kicked in...

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think its coming down to a few things:

1)
Old boys play more golf. 3 comps a week at our place if they fancy it. Their handicaps are far more accurate to current ability as they simply play and submit more cards.
I on the other hand am lucky to submit a card a week. I play 9 holes by myself some evenings and while some Sunday roll ups go in for handicap, not all of them do. I have scores still in my best 20 from over a year ago - my handicap has dropped 6 shots in 12 months and itll be ages till that goes back up (it wont over winter)

2)
20ish handicappers seem to be winning the most - no surprise to me - our track isn't the hardest, anyone half decent can break 90 - if you're off 22 and have a semi average 15 over, that's a gross 64 at our place - more than possible for a low 20's guy. If the track was longer, the older guys would suffer more.

3)
One great round doesn't cut you as much as it used to. All these exceptional rounds now do is amend someone's handicap by a shot or two. Before, if you played well under you'd be in for a much bigger cut from the mid 20's and it would take time to go back up. I witnessed a 22 handicapper shoot 51 points the other week. He played off 13 a year ago. Made me feel sick.
Do you think having a minimum number of cards, within the last 12 months, before being able to win a comp would help at your place?

Course difficulty is not something I had really thought of but that makes sense. My place is quite difficulty for an average golfer, and boy am I average :LOL:, and so the chances of someone burning it up are not high. You can have a good day and touch 40 points, winning scores at ours are around 37-41 points out of a field of around 150, but the idea of someone going off the whites and getting 50 is a real no go. On an easier course people can have a flier if things click.

Tricky how that one gets resolved for you. Maybe it needs to get raised at a county secs meeting and they may get ideas from other clubs who have faced similar problems.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The chances of burning up a difficult course, in a handicapped score, is the same as an easy course. CR and Slope level this.

That is not the reason for the rogue clubs.

In our club, I would say there has been no influence on winning scores profile, nor th handicaps profile of those winning post whs.

Though I guess, there must be to a small degree. We certainly experienced the 5 or below handicaps reducing as a group by a shot or two. 10-20 hcs, no change. 20+, hard to tell if they changed, but certainly none skyrocketed, or no crazy scores coming in from that range of hcs.

I suspect the flaw may be in new hcs, especially high ones, being higher than the old system would ever have given them. Rather than rising hcs. The caps limit that. Nobody goes from 20 to 30 in 2 months and then posts 50 points. It just cant happen.

Last edited:

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Well that paints a rather different picture. You basically have no single figure handicaps playing, how are they going to win anything if they don't play? :ROFLMAO:

We have a very low number of single guys yeah - they tend to move on to better clubs locally when they get to a certain level. Id say there's about 8 regular sub 10 players.

Current issue though is that you don't even stand much of a chance off sub 15/14.

Id have to beat my best gross score ever, by about 3 shots, just to be in with a shout - and even then someone will most likely go lower.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
The chances of burning up a difficult course, in a handicapped score, is the same as an easy course. CR and Slope level this.

See I think this is where our biggest issue is, were rated as if its a tough track - or at least tougher than it is. I think players should play off their index's pretty much, and not gain shots at our place - but the guys around 20 are gaining 2!

Just to double down here too - there's no way I'm actually a 12 index player either - my golf doesn't translate well to other courses - so the rating is an issue in my opinion.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
See I think this is where our biggest issue is, were rated as if its a tough track - or at least tougher than it is. I think players should play off their index's pretty much, and not gain shots at our place - but the guys around 20 are gaining 2!

Just to double down here too - there's no way I'm actually a 12 index player either - my golf doesn't translate well to other courses - so the rating is an issue in my opinion.
Rating might be part of it. And might be out a shot, or 2, for a 20 hc. But that still would not explain scores of 50+, or <60. They are 6 or 8 shots wrong at least.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
How can it be?
2 or 3 years ago is a world away..it has no bearing on how you're playing now which is what WHS does.
Whether you like it or whether you hate it, as long as regular cards are going in it reflects your current form ....which is what it's designed to do.
The soft and hard caps stop the index from rising too far.
WHS is about current form not some rounds you played in 2019..
Well because form is so sensitive, if i look at my past 20 scores there are batches that last for months where i play 5 or 6 shots worse than my 'ego' then out of nowhere im back on form with 3 or 4 scores better than my ego'

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Rating might be part of it. And might be out a shot, or 2, for a 20 hc. But that still would not explain scores of 50+, or <60. They are 6 or 8 shots wrong at least.
It would be interesting if posters complaining about high cappers winning would also show the CONGU handicap the player had before conversion. In correspondence with EG I am told that virtually all conversions were within one (or two at most). There were of course some exceptions. Slope of course will have had an effect on high cappers playing handicap.