WHS doesn't work

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It works of you're putting regular cards in and by regular I mean once a week or more.
A score from 2 years ago has no relevance to how anyone is playing now and has no business being in a calculation to determine Index.
If you're only putting in 5 or 6 cards a year you have no chance of having an accurate index and that's where the high scores come from, especially if you're playing plenty of non qualifying golf like matchplay.
If clubs don't put a high enough entry requirement for comps - some have as little as 3 cards in the last year - some people's index will, eventually, include cards from 5 or 6 years ago.
How does that give a credible index?

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
I think the one with scores from 2 or 3 years ago is at least as credible as the one with only scores from the last 3 months. The one from the last 3 months contains such a small window of your ability its laughable.

Imurg

Visit site
I think the one with scores from 2 or 3 years ago is at least as credible as the one with only scores from the last 3 months. The one from the last 3 months contains such a small window of your ability its laughable.
How can it be?
2 or 3 years ago is a world away..it has no bearing on how you're playing now which is what WHS does.
Whether you like it or whether you hate it, as long as regular cards are going in it reflects your current form ....which is what it's designed to do.
The soft and hard caps stop the index from rising too far.
WHS is about current form not some rounds you played in 2019..

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
Agree with this totally.
The old system suited some but not others.
The new WHS suits some but not others.
But my biggest bug is under the old system sub 60 nett / 50+ points just never happened.
Now it’s once a mouth.

Once a month? It's weird how the experience differs from club to club. I've just looked at all the men's individual medal/stableford results at my club since 1st April.

Stableford
16 competitions
Average winning score: 38.8 pts
Highest score: 46
Scores in the 50s: none
Scores in the 40s: seven (four of which occurred in the same competition, only three out of sixteen comps have been won with scores in the 40s)

Medal
Seven competitions
Average winning score: 68.3 (net)
Lowest net score: 64
Net scores under 60: none
Net scores 60-69: ten (five of which were winning scores)

So, all season, we've had zero stableford scores in the 50s and zero net scores sub 60 - but you're getting either or both once a month!! What can account for a difference like that?

Last edited:

sjw

Visit site
Once a month? It's weird how the experience differs from club to club. I've just looked at all the men's individual medal/stableford results at my club since 1st April.

So, all season, we've had zero stableford scores in the 50s and zero net scores sub 60 - but you're getting them both once a month!! What can account for a difference like that?

Wild exaggeration?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not strictly true due to HI cap. I agree with sentiment though, personally I wouldn’t allow general play cards to be submitted if you have another card submitted in the previous 7 days.

But what about competition cards?

Where I play it is possible to play in 4/5 comps a week some weeks.

Should the system not be the same for both types of players?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
If someone is only putting in 2 or 3, then yes, there is no way it can indicate form. But then, nor did uhs.
At my place…if I were to only put in 2 or 3 WHS qualifying scores in a year I wouldn‘t be able to enter most if not all of the main club competitions as entry to these requires that, at the date of entry, I have to have 6 WHS qualifying scores recorded in the previous 12 month period.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Agree with this totally.
But my biggest bug is under the old system sub 60 nett / 50+ points just never happened.
Now it’s once a mouth.

That might be true where you play but not where I play. I have a personal memory of once shooting a nett 61 and I was in 5th place.
Albeit since then the course has been toughened up.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Agree with this totally.
Now it’s once a month.
As many have commented previously and elsewhere about their clubs - this never happens at my club. An occasional Stableford competition might be won with 46 pts, but most are won with between 41 and 43pts. Medal comps are by division and for these their is a very occasional net 64 in Div 2, and in Div 1 best would be something like occasional net 66 (CR ~72)

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
The thing that bugs me about the new system is the score differential.
I submitted an 81, 1 under handicap, which knocked an 83 off the 20 completely, and I went up 0.1.
I'm trying to get my handicap down, but it sometimes proves impossible, even when I shoot below my handicap.
Will be interesting to see if Sunday's 3 under changes anything now an 80 is dropping off. ?

Imurg

Visit site
The thing that bugs me about the new system is the score differential.
I submitted an 81, 1 under handicap, which knocked an 83 off the 20 completely, and I went up 0.1.
I'm trying to get my handicap down, but it sometimes proves impossible, even when I shoot below my handicap.
Will be interesting to see if Sunday's 3 under changes anything now an 80 is dropping off. ?
Next card Fragger puts in..he can shoot 42 points and he's going up because of a good card dropping off...
Seems totally illogical to shoot 6 under handicap and go up....

Bratty

Visit site
Next card Fragger puts in..he can shoot 42 points and he's going up because of a good card dropping off...
Yeah, but that's not likely to happen is it! ???

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My mate Ben is in this situation now. He's been going up like a rocket already, he's just hit 15.1 (he started the year at 12 ish I think). Next round he's losing a 75-gross 8.4 differential. From our old course as well so I reckon he'd have to shoot about 73 or 74 to avoid going up next time. His last decent rounds were 83 so can't see that happening. Obviously the best he can do is limit the damage.

Bratty

Visit site
My mate Ben is in this situation now. He's been going up like a rocket already, he's just hit 15.1 (he started the year at 12 ish I think). Next round he's losing a 75-gross 8.4 differential. From our old course as well so I reckon he'd have to shoot about 73 or 74 to avoid going up next time. His last decent rounds were 83 so can't see that happening. Obviously the best he can do is limit the damage.
But has he been playing average to worse golf throughout that period?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I could have shot a 7 under handicap today and my handicap will still be going up tomorrow as my best score is 8 under handicap but is my 20th, however it is now a score from 7 months ago and was an exceptional score back then.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No problem with that I was specially referring to general play cards.

But my question is why should it be a different system for different players?

The UHS allowed players to put in as many cards as they wanted and we had quite several put in card every time they played back then.