WHS doesn't work

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Thats why my brain isnt handling, if he's playing that course for his previous/existing cards then he's achieving scores based on the self same slope etc, so why would index be 5 shots lower.
Index x Slope ÷ 113 = course handicap
22.9 x 135 ÷ 113 = 27.36 = 27 shots
22.3 x 135 ÷ 113 = 26.64 = 27 shots

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The score will still stand to you though, and will see its 'benefit' in a hc reduction at some point even if you dont get it all immediately.
What is your 8th worst score differential now ? It might be not that good a score. You only have to beat that to be cut again, not shoot 40.
I always like to have that 8th score in mind, as even if Im not having a great day, its a good target to chase with the 'reward' of a cut, even if you are well off the prizes.
Your nice 40 pts can yet pay off more for you !
Pretty much how I see things after a good round that becomes one of my eight but doesnt do much to my HI.

I’ll have a look at my eight and I‘ll see the ones I have to get rid of for my goodie to have a more significant impact. I usually find there will be maybe 3 or 4 that I know are quite a bit poorer than I know I can currently play. I don’t need to shoot much better than the worst, just a bit better than each of the 3 or 4, one round at a time.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I'm not explaining myself well... His index is based on average of best 8
those best 8 are actual score achieved on a 135 slope course not a 113 slope

for me to 'gain' 5 shots on conversion of index to course handicap I need to select a course/set of tees massively harder than the course/tees I used to achieve my Index

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Under the old system, when I played exactly to my handicap, my handicap remained exactly the same.
Under the new system, it is likely that I beat my 8th best by a few shots and I will receive a cut of 0.2 or 0.3 even though I have played exactly to my handicap.
I can't see anything wrong with either system - they are different systems.

Voyager EMH

Visit site

for me to 'gain' 5 shots on conversion of index to course handicap I need to select a course/set of tees massively harder than the course/tees I used to achieve my Index
Ah, the "gaining shots or losing shots" misconception.
I would need a slope of 240 (non-existent) to "gain" 5 shots from 4.5 to 9.5

There is no gaining or losing. Slope ratings above 113 stretch the handicap index scale out, slope ratings below 113 contract it.
The relative differences between handicaps on that scale is maintained.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

Remember, the actual score on any course is 'de-sloped' to get the real Score Differential. And SDs not net scores determine the HI.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
The "getting of shots" is also a misconception or maybe a misleading conception.

My HI is 4.5.

At Painswick off the yellow tees my course handicap is 4. (Do I "get 4 shots"?)
To achieve a differential as near as possible to my HI, I need to shoot 1 over par or 39 points for a differential of 4.4. (So, am I "getting 1 shot" against the course?)

There are two things to consider.
1. Your score against the course. (handicap assessment and adjustment)
2. Your score relative to others you are playing with and against.
They are two different things.
Be clear in your mind about the separation of these two.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
The "getting of shots" is also a misconception or maybe a misleading conception.

My HI is 4.5.

At Painswick off the yellow tees my course handicap is 4. (Do I "get 4 shots"?)
To achieve a differential as near as possible to my HI, I need to shoot 1 over par or 39 points for a differential of 4.4. (So, am I "getting 1 shot" against the course?)
When you say 'differential' do you mean Score Differential?
What is the Slope of the course?
Is par the same as the CR?

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Index was 22.9, which on our course rating gives me 27 shots. My current counting scores are around 98-100, par is 71

Yesterday threw in a 94,for 40 points, which you would have thought would have got a cut of some sort, well it did , down to 22.3.

But that doesn’t affect the number of shots I get.

Under the old system I would have had a 1.2 shot cut.

So it seems under the WHS you are quicker to go up, but not as quick to come down when you post an improved score.

I’ll just have to do it again next week then 👍

One of the ideas that has been around for a long time in handicapping is that a player is not penalised for 'a day in the sun'.

Ps Par and stableford points means nothing in handicapping unless you also include course rating . E.G. 40 points is playing to handicap on our 9 hole course.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
It must be me...
Played with a mate today..he shot 42 points off 28 shots and is getting a cut....

After many many years of being used to "42 points means a decent cut," we need to adjust to the new world of, "it depends what's in your counting scores!"

That takes careful managing. Instead we got videos telling us how WHS will grow the game! I learned more from these pages than anything "official " or from my Club.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
After many many years of being used to "42 points means a decent cut," we need to adjust to the new world of, "it depends what's in your counting scores!"

That takes careful managing. Instead we got videos telling us how WHS will grow the game! I learned more from these pages than anything "official " or from my Club.
Yes it does seem over complicated where the old system was simple.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What’s difficult about playing golf and putting a score in? It’s no different to pre WHS.

Saying your handicap now needs careful managing 🤔
To get any understanding of how it works you need to understand the system.
I wonder how many golfers can say they understand it.

yes most players just put their scores in and are not bothered by the math.

wjemather

Visit site
Yes it does seem over complicated where the old system was simple.
Under WHS, you simply look up your handicap - no manual calculations required.
Under UHS, you had to know how to self adjust - that was far more complicated than WHS is (and too complicated for many).

Why do players need to understand it (see above)? They didn't understand UHS.

Last edited:

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site

How many people really understood the previous system.

WHS isn’t difficult to understand if people just spent 10 minutes reading up on it.