WHS doesn't work

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Btw - if I may ask. What is CR-par. Is it a thing in itself or is it the expression of the difference between CR and par. Or indeed is it the thing that is the expression of the difference. And whatever it is, what is it used for?

Swango1980

Visit site
Btw - if I may ask. What is CR-par. Is it a thing in itself or is it the expression of the difference between CR and par. Or indeed is it the thing that is the expression of the difference. And whatever it is, what is it used for?
Imagine your course handicap. Then, Add CR-Par to it to get a different Course Handicap.

It is easy to take a scratch golfer as an example. In the UK, the player with an Index of 0.0 has a course handicap on every course of 0, no matter how easy or difficult.
However, with CR-Par they would not. If CR was 3 less than par, they'd play off -3, and if it was 3 more than par, they'd play off 3.

D-S

Visit site
It is an extra part of the calculation of your course handicap. If your course is CR 74 and par 72 CR- par is 2 shots so your CH would be 2 shots higher. But if for example you played off way forward tees and the CR off those tees was 69 CR 69 - Par 72 equals minus 3 so your CH would be 3 shots lower.
In essence it means that with this as part of your course handicap means that if you score 36 points irrespective of tees or course you will have ‘played to your handicap’
Every country in the world except CONGU land adopted this.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
It is an extra part of the calculation of your course handicap. If your course is CR 74 and par 72 CR- par is 2 shots so your CH would be 2 shots higher. But if for example you played off way forward tees and the CR off those tees was 69 CR 69 - Par 72 equals minus 3 so your CH would be 3 shots lower.
In essence it means that with this as part of your course handicap means that if you score 36 points irrespective of tees or course you will have ‘played to your handicap’
Every country in the world except CONGU land adopted this.
But makes no difference to your Differential (basically Gross - CR) which is the figure used to calculate your Handicap Index. It is said it is for stableford players who can't do arithmetic.

D-S

Visit site
But makes no difference to your Differential (basically Gross - CR) which is the figure used to calculate your Handicap Index. It is said it is for stableford players who can't do arithmetic.
So,why was it adopted in the US where Stableford is very rarely used?

sunshine

Visit site
Imagine your course handicap. Then, Add CR-Par to it to get a different Course Handicap.

It is easy to take a scratch golfer as an example. In the UK, the player with an Index of 0.0 has a course handicap on every course of 0, no matter how easy or difficult.
However, with CR-Par they would not. If CR was 3 less than par, they'd play off -3, and if it was 3 more than par, they'd play off 3.

Thanks, this is a really helpful explanation.

UK CONGU really messed up here. WHS would be far easier to understand with this addition.

AussieKB

Visit site
Played yesterday in a field of over 100 and the winning score was 48 points, I only had to shoot 8 under to match him....darn I missed that short putt on the 18th.

effayjay

Club Champion
Visit site
I just don’t understand the logic of competition divisions When playing handicap golf. The very idea of a handicapping system is to allow competitors of differing ability to compete against each other.

effayjay

Club Champion
Visit site
I really don’t see why not.

In horse racing, with professional handicappers, the ultimate aim is to enable multiple dead heats. That doesn’t happen because horses are not machine, neither are golfers. In horse racing they do have divisions because handicapping is done with weight and there is only so much weight a horse can carry ( or how light jockeys can be. In golf there are no such restrictions and there is, as far as I can see, simply no logic to divisions in handicap golf divisions.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
And, as it doesn't seem to have been addressed, what does CR stand for? Course record? And all this discussion. I've always been a poor reader of rules if they are complicated, I tend to skim read and therefore end up not understanding. So with WHS, I've no idea what is going on. But I will say it has helped my wife to get her handicap down as she does not play in comps, hates them actually, so being able to input scores when we play has been brilliant. And yes, I realise this can be very easily manipulated. The bad thing with WHS is the wild swings in handicaps. It's not just point one anymore. This, I feel, is a bad thing. Also a mate of mine has plummeted to 23. He's never been lower than 27,and I can assure you all, he cannot play to 23.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Also, I think comps should be about winning only, not getting any money. Drop the charge down to a quid to play. But again I realise there needs to be some sort of reward....er ..er

Steve Wilkes

Visit site
And, as it doesn't seem to have been addressed, what does CR stand for? Course record? And all this discussion. I've always been a poor reader of rules if they are complicated, I tend to skim read and therefore end up not understanding. So with WHS, I've no idea what is going on. But I will say it has helped my wife to get her handicap down as she does not play in comps, hates them actually, so being able to input scores when we play has been brilliant. And yes, I realise this can be very easily manipulated. The bad thing with WHS is the wild swings in handicaps. It's not just point one anymore. This, I feel, is a bad thing. Also a mate of mine has plummeted to 23. He's never been lower than 27,and I can assure you all, he cannot play to 23.
If his handicap is 23, then he must have played to 23 and better, unless he has only put in 4 cards.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I really don’t see why not.

In horse racing, with professional handicappers, the ultimate aim is to enable multiple dead heats. That doesn’t happen because horses are not machine, neither are golfers. In horse racing they do have divisions because handicapping is done with weight and there is only so much weight a horse can carry ( or how light jockeys can be. In golf there are no such restrictions and there is, as far as I can see, simply no logic to divisions in handicap golf divisions.
Does it really make much sense to have an event of someone trying to break 100 which is essentially a random event against a scratch golfer?

Springveldt

Visit site
I just don’t understand the logic of competition divisions When playing handicap golf. The very idea of a handicapping system is to allow competitors of differing ability to compete against each other.
In theory yes but it doesn't work out that way. Usually a low handicapper is more stable in their scoring and quite a lot of them have basically reached their potential but higher handicaps consist of the same types of players but also others that are still improving and are capable of shooting much lower than their current handicap.

At my place we use divisions to try and spread the winnings around more of the membership but the name on the board will still be the best net score on the day.

AussieKB

Visit site
Played today on a par 72 course off a 4 handicap and shot 70, (my age 69) for 42 points, came second to a 30 handicapper who had 44 points, he lost 1.8 shots and I lost 1.0 shots.....do you I think the system is fair ?

wjemather

Visit site
Played today on a par 72 course off a 4 handicap and shot 70, (my age 69) for 42 points, came second to a 30 handicapper who had 44 points, he lost 1.8 shots and I lost 1.0 shots.....do you I think the system is fair ?
I'm guessing you wouldn't have an issue with a 5 or 6 handicapper beating you, so why begrudge a 30 handicapper? Surely it's better to simply congratulate them on a great score?
Changes in handicap index are a result of the new 8 best scores, and the 20th score being replaced, not just the most recent.