Whose The Best Amatuer You’ve Shared a Round With

• Thread starter Deleted member 16999
  • Start date

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Had the pleasure of witnessing a couple of outstanding rounds in the last couple of years. Both where at Forest Oaks where the US Tour did play the Greater Greensboro Open at. One round was with a young lad who has now turned pro and is peddling his skills on some mini tours trying to raise money, he managed to shoot 64 from the Tour tees, Par 72, 7200, slope 145, rating 75.9. The other round was my regular partner. Shot 66 from the competition tees, Par 72, 6800, slope 139, rating 74. He had 12 pars, 6 birdies with 3 lip outs.

Playing golf with people of that standard is a different class. Really makes you appreciate how good the tour pros are when you think that these aren't good enough to be out there, but can still play to this level, even round a tour standard course.

D

Deleted member 16999

For the purposes of clarity and the avoidance of doubt my illustrious colleague is referring to my performance at the luncheon where I matched him fork for fork.
Unfortunately everyone knows you are just being modest, nobody and I mean nobody matches Stu fork for fork. :rofl:

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Played scratch league matches for donkey’s years. Played a guy at Denton GC in the mid 00’s, probably when I was at my best. I threw everything at him for 11 holes, when we shook hands for my biggest ever loss. He never missed a fairway or green, and rolled in a stack of birdie putts. My birdies only got me half’s.

I was totally tattered.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We have a guy off 1 who played back home in Zimbabwe on the African tour as a pro back in the 70's with the likes of Nick Price etc. He has been an amateur for a long time now but simply plays a different game. He's obscenely long and has hit the 371 yard 10th (granted conditions were similar to the current ones) but his approach shots and in particular his clutch putting to make a birdie or save par is superb. He's also a very humble guy and always prepared to help anyone that asks for help

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played scratch league matches for donkey’s years. Played a guy at Denton GC in the mid 00’s, probably when I was at my best. I threw everything at him for 11 holes, when we shook hands for my biggest ever loss. He never missed a fairway or green, and rolled in a stack of birdie putts. My birdies only got me half’s.

I was totally tattered.

This for me too. I’ve beaten some good scratch and plus golfers down the years but mainly in 4somes. Against the good players in singles though I usually got my butt kicked. In an away match at Stoneham a couple of years ago I played the then Hampshire county champion. I think he was off plus 3. His personal best round Stoneham was 59, I didn’t stand a chance.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
As amateurs

Reid Jack 5th in 1959 Open Championship Walker cup
Sandy Williamson. The only bald Scottish Boys Champion.
RDBM Shade [World amateur champion, Eisenhower Trophy Winner. Walker/Ryder Cup
Bobby Cole. Amateur Champ
Garry Harris. Carris Trophy + 3 British age group Championships
David Howell. British Boys Championship Walker/Ryder Cup

Best of that bunch probably Reid Jack.

D

Deleted member 1740

For the purposes of clarity and the avoidance of doubt my illustrious colleague is referring to my performance at the luncheon where I matched him fork for fork.

No I’m not, your golf that day was immense.....

As for lunch, you left half of it on your jumper :D

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
This for me too. I’ve beaten some good scratch and plus golfers down the years but mainly in 4somes. Against the good players in singles though I usually got my butt kicked. In an away match at Stoneham a couple of years ago I played the then Hampshire county champion. I think he was off plus 3. His personal best round Stoneham was 59, I didn’t stand a chance.
Was the against stonham? Probably Ryan Henley

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Not played with any incredible amateurs. But when I was younger I went down to St Mellion to watch the English Amateur Championship. The final was Paul Casey v Simon Dyson and was incredible, St Mellion of the back tees is just a ridiculous course, very long over 7000 yards and very tight yet these two were playing stunning golf.

I have witnessed good rounds, but as others have said it's amazing just how simple it is. Nothing flashy not 150 yard approaches to inches like the tour pros. But everything is just good, there are no bad shots and you get to 18 and realise what they've done

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Youngster by the name of Jensen Hull. Delight to play with as well as a superb golfer all round.
You can never tell just how far they will progress (I used to play most days with a certain Paul Way at an even younger age and higher handicap!) but I hope Jensen continues to do well.

Doing pretty well this week, so far! Hope he has a good day today...link to live scoring below

https://www.randa.org/Championships...hPlayScoring#/competition/1340844/matchplay/3

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Only played with a few, only one not from this forum.

Club champ at old club, once holder of longest hole in one in Europe.

Took on the longest hole on the course into the wind driver driver putt. Easy eagle.

I took driver, 5 wood 5 iron and still didn’t make the green...

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not played with any incredible amateurs. But when I was younger I went down to St Mellion to watch the English Amateur Championship. The final was Paul Casey v Simon Dyson and was incredible, St Mellion of the back tees is just a ridiculous course, very long over 7000 yards and very tight yet these two were playing stunning golf.

I have witnessed good rounds, but as others have said it's amazing just how simple it is. Nothing flashy not 150 yard approaches to inches like the tour pros. But everything is just good, there are no bad shots and you get to 18 and realise what they've done
I once won a two day comp at St Mellion and never used my driver. That's a very tight course.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I played a guy off +2 in a Surrey Scratch match a couple of years back. We're walking down the 1st and I asked him what events he had coming up.

"Qualifying for the Open and then the British Amateur".

"Oh" I replied. "I've got a roll-up on Friday with my mates".

I was 1 up through nine and then he started taking it seriously. I came second.