Whose The Best Amatuer You’ve Shared a Round With

• Thread starter Deleted member 16999
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16999

I’m sure we’ve all heard of top amatuer players or seen their scores, but what was the best Amatuer round you witnessed or was part of?

The reason for this is, last night our first team played a league match away at Ramside Hall GC up here near Durham.

I caddied for our No 1 who is off scratch against their number one a bloke off +2, what an absolute pleasure to be involved, the standard of golf was superb, all square through 3 then the +2 player went on a run and birdied 6 out of the next 11 holes to wrap up the match 5&4, our bloke at the time was 2 under, only witnessed 1 bogey in the match.

2 really good blokes, friendly as could be playing great golf.

The guy off +2 is 55, the swing was a delight to watch, no effort whether it was his driver or a wedge, moved the ball both ways and hit a couple of drives 280yds +, the rest being over 250, the consistencey was a delight to see.

So, who have you had the pleasure to see?

D

Deleted member 1147

I've played a variety of rounds with very good players.

One who was off +4 (represented England whilst only a teenager - now turned pro), who played really poorly and shot 72 (2 under CSS). I don't know how he managed a 72, as he was all over the place, I would have probably shot 82 had I been similar. His short game was mint, and when he played a hole well he birdied it.

I've also played with a 1 handicapper who shot a 66, he was all over the place off the tee, but hit greens and holed putts.

Just goes to show that the best players aren't always hitting it long & straight, but they do get the ball in the hole in fewer shots than us, over 18 holes. Be it better short games, or taking advantage of breaks and good play better.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've played with a number of top amateurs over the years, but most recently i played with Billy Mackenzie who won the Spanish Amateur earlier this year and is also in the England squad.

His short game was a joke and every single wedge was within makeable range. He easily shot -5 and didn't break a sweat.

a few days later i spoke to his coach, and his coach said Billy had come back from the round moaning that he doesn't hit the ball long enough (i hit a few about 50yds past him) and that his wedge game is awful.

Amazing how high his levels of expectation were

D

Deleted member 16999

One who was off +4 (represented England whilst only a teenager - now turned pro), who played really poorly and shot 72 (2 under CSS). I don't know how he managed a 72, as he was all over the place, I would have probably shot 82 had I been similar. His short game was mint, and when he played a hole well he birdied it.

I've also played with a 1 handicapper who shot a 66, he was all over the place off the tee, but hit greens and holed putts.

Just goes to show that the best players aren't always hitting it long & straight, but they do get the ball in the hole in fewer shots than us, over 18 holes. Be it better short games, or taking advantage of breaks and good play better.
I totally get that mate, difference last night was that all the elements came together, I genuinely don’t believe I saw him hit one bad shot, it may of been to him, but every fairway hit, every green hit in regulation and a couple of Par 5’s in 2.
And literally every hole was a birdie putt!

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not sure he's was the lowest h/c I have played with but I have played a few rounds with a friend of a friend, he was in his early 70's at the time, and every time I played with him he shot below his age. He was playing off 2 and had been 2 or better for 50 years. It was a real pleasure playing with him and learning just how to manage your way around the course, any mistakes were accepted and minimised & all good shots were capitalised on. Oh how I wish I had 10% of his talent.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Use to play with a guy from Bathgate GC he was club champion about 10 times in the 70s and 80s played of +2 sometimes+3 for over 20 years.
He was also club champion at Harburn gc, Pumpherson gc .
He's now in his late 70s still plays off about 6, last i heard.

Last edited:

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Never played with any top ams before, but went round with a guy off 6 the other week at my home course. He went round in 2 over par, level for the front 9. Just made it look so effortless.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Simon Richardson at Spalding. Hes off +4. Just one of those players that never gets himself into trouble. Not overly long. Great lad with good banter all the way round. You get to 18 and add up his score and hes shot a 65 without you even noticing. He's won a few amateur tournaments this year too.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Youngster by the name of Jensen Hull. Delight to play with as well as a superb golfer all round.
You can never tell just how far they will progress (I used to play most days with a certain Paul Way at an even younger age and higher handicap!) but I hope Jensen continues to do well.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
my pp is off +3 atm. we played off the back tee's of the pga last week. i shot 85. he shot 66. (par 72).

doesn't half make you feel crap about your own game 😁

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site

This is very true, a lot of high cappers build up a mental picture of scratch guys belting it miles, hitting wedges from 150 yards to inches, etc. The. They play with them and think, he never really done anything special, then they count up his score and he’s -5,
Best amateur Iv played with is former tour pro and current +4 capper, Barry Hume from Haggs Castle. Fabulous player and even with an extremely low handicap and a string of national titles still struggled to make it on the pro circuit.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Simon Richardson at Spalding. Hes off +4. Just one of those players that never gets himself into trouble. Not overly long. Great lad with good banter all the way round. You get to 18 and add up his score and hes shot a 65 without you even noticing. He's won a few amateur tournaments this year too.

Had the pleasure of playing with him too a few times, great lad. He does make things look effortless.

Ndw7

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Played with a 1 handicapper a year or two ago who is now off scratch. Hit the ball a mile off the tee and straight. Approach shots from 200 yards - 140 yards were all put within 2 putt distance even for me. Around the green, the shot after every chip was a tap in. Either that or the chip was holed.

It was a genuine pleasure to watch him play. He was a great bloke too and was very helpful to my other playing partner and I. As someone has said earlier in this thread, I wish I had 10% of his talent.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Thelma's other half, Louise is a tasty golfer off +3.

Merv79 on the forum shot 5 under around Ferndown when taking myself and MikeChapman down. Great ball striking, and he even started apologising as he rolled in yet another birdie.:eek:oo:

Member at my club won the Selbourne Salver with two 66's a few years back. Past winners include Ross Fisher, Andy Sullivan and Matt Fitzpatrick, so a decent amateur comp.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Had the pleasure of watching our clubs champs semis tonight, first semi was a +2 v +3, having played with the plus 3 player and watching them tonight exchange birdie after birdie after birdie, that was as good as I've personally experienced.

mashleyR7

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Can't really name a best amateur ive played with but the best round I've ever witnessed is from a mate of mine who's not a member of club, doesn't have an official handicap and only plays golf in between the football season. He shot level par round Chart Hills, 16 pars, 1 bogey, 1 birdie, that's the best round Ive ever witnessed. Shame he's still so good at football as I'm dying for him to quit a join a club to play regularly and see what he can get down too. ChrisD was with us that day too.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played in the scratch team for my old club.
against a +4 capper different game to the one I play.
Every part of his game was good he never made a mistake all evening.
Very nice guy , it was a pleasure to watch.
He beat me 3&2 and I was quite happy with that as I played very well .

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
No great claims here other than with a couple of guys who turned pro (one at current track - CR, and one at previous - SH - both were +4 I think, CR tried the Challenge tour but gave up - SH actually got onto the European Tour). Also at previous club i played quite often with a lass who some years ago hit the winning shot in the Curtis Cup! I played quite often with her and her dad. Mind you - there is a young U14 lass at my current place winning just about everything she plays in at the moment - most recent triumph being the Surrey Schools - and there are a lot of good school age girl golfers in Surrey

And once upon a time I played a few holes with Paul McKellar - members of East Ren will know the name. Scottish and British Amateur finalist back in the day - and we played just before he had that success. I didn't even have a handicap at the time and was new to East Ren - I think he just caught me up one afternoon when I was out myself as was he, and we played a few holes and had a chat.

After that I hardly ever saw him again never mind play with him as he was out to conquer the world...or at least Scotland and the UK.

Last edited:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Can't really name a best amateur ive played with but the best round I've ever witnessed is from a mate of mine who's not a member of club, doesn't have an official handicap and only plays golf in between the football season. He shot level par round Chart Hills, 16 pars, 1 bogey, 1 birdie, that's the best round Ive ever witnessed. Shame he's still so good at football as I'm dying for him to quit a join a club to play regularly and see what he can get down too. ChrisD was with us that day too.

True, he ripped it up.