Topping 3 Wood

Ndw7

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi all. I’ve been struggling with my driver recently so decided against using it for a little while, it was getting me into more trouble than it was worth so I was confident I was doing the right thing. I was only losing 20 yards hitting my 3 wood off the tee. I’ve been scoring much better recently and I’ve felt a good scoring round coming.

Out of nowhere, I’ve just started topping the 3 wood off the tee. It got so bad that our team captain and my partner for team matches was apparently going to drop me after a recent match. It was only the fact we were short saved me the embarrassment! (Eventhough I didn’t have the best round, i still think dropping me would have been harsh as out of the two of us, it’s always me that seems to do the business during matches!)

This weeeken, I scored 36 points which I was pleased with. But in there, were 4 topped tee shots. Out of those 4, 2 we’re lost balls so I played provisionals and made par with my second ball for 1 point each. The other 2, I managed to scramble 6’s for 2 points.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue before and if so, how did you fix it?

Ndw7

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi Bob, thanks for the reply. The worst ones are when it bounces just in front of me. Sometimes they fly very low, but the majority of the time when it happens it’s a horrible almost spinless bounce

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
When I started topping my 3 wood out of nowhere i started to tee it up higher. Spoke to my pro and he said to do the opposite- tee it lower as the higher it is then you will try and pick it off the tee.

Ndw7

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Ok I’ll give that a try. Cheers, Bob 👍🏻 Is it possible that I maybbe unknowingly moving ball position between tee shots

Ndw7

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Cheers Coffey. To be honest, that was the I approach I’ve taken. The past couple of days I’ve even tried practicing at the driving range hitting 3 wood off the mat to try and really get the feeling of hitting level / slightly down on the ball, rather than hitting it too much on the upswing, bottoming out before the ball and topping out. How did teeing it lower work out for you?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Cheers Coffey. To be honest, that was the I approach I’ve taken. The past couple of days I’ve even tried practicing at the driving range hitting 3 wood off the mat to try and really get the feeling of hitting level / slightly down on the ball, rather than hitting it too much on the upswing, bottoming out before the ball and topping out. How did teeing it lower work out for you?

1. Where do feel your weight at and just after impact........ central, moving back or moving forward?
2. Do you finish in the classic balanced position with most of the weight on your front foot

Ndw7

Assistant Pro
Visit site
1. Where do feel your weight at and just after impact........ central, moving back or moving forward?
2. Do you finish in the classic balanced position with most of the weight on your front foot

To be honest, I don’t really know. When I flush one I do finish in the classic position. But when I top one I almost come out of my finish in disgust or annoyance before I really have a chance to assess it. One of my playing partners told me on the weekend that he thought I was hanging back on it

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
To be honest, I don’t really know. When I flush one I do finish in the classic position. But when I top one I almost come out of my finish in disgust or annoyance before I really have a chance to assess it. One of my playing partners told me on the weekend that he thought I was hanging back on it

Gotcha.

Definitely get the ball 4-6in further forward and just focus on a balanced finish.

A good drill for that is to hold the balanced finish until the ball lands, then relax

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
a bit of a running joke at my club, but our old pro's solve all tip was put it further back in your stance. always works for me anyway

Ndw7

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Gotcha.

Definitely get the ball 4-6in further forward and just focus on a balanced finish.

A good drill for that is to hold the balanced finish until the ball lands, then relax

I’ll give it a try. Thank you Bob

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Worked better than expected. I haven't topped once since and that was about a month and a half ago. *Touch wood*

It was an interesting concept to me but makes sense when you think about it. Completely the opposite to what I was doing to try and fix it and I kept topping it and moving it higher :D

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Worked better than expected. I haven't topped once since and that was about a month and a half ago. *Touch wood*

It was an interesting concept to me but makes sense when you think about it. Completely the opposite to what I was doing to try and fix it and I kept topping it and moving it higher :D

if ever i practice with a 3 wood i never hit it off a tee, in fact you should be able to hit this club as well off the deck as you do a tee, after all its supposed to be a fairway wood. I tee it low, if i do use it for a tee shot, can also add this club is the steadiest club in my bag and hardly ever hit a bad shot with it .... touch wood;)

Ndw7

Assistant Pro
Visit site
if ever i practice with a 3 wood i never hit it off a tee, in fact you should be able to hit this club as well off the deck as you do a tee, after all its supposed to be a fairway wood. I tee it low, if i do use it for a tee shot, can also add this club is the steadiest club in my bag and hardly ever hit a bad shot with it .... touch wood;)

Yeah I agree. During the match I mentioned in my post where didn’t play very well, my playing partner got quite fed up eventually and snapped “why dont you just tee it up higher!” So me obviously being in a stinking mood snapped back “it’s a f****** fairway wood. I’m not introducing another problem to try and fix my first problem!” It was probably my least enjoyable night on the course during a match 😂

Ndw7

Assistant Pro
Visit site

I find a few counter intuitive things work in terms of fixing faults. For example, when I was suffering with the unmentionables, my pro made me hit some balls addressing the ball out of the heel. Whereas other with address it from the toe so what when they move the club closer to the ball during their downswing, it’ll find the middle, but this only encourages the wrong movement. Strange old game 😂

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
When I started topping my 3 wood out of nowhere i started to tee it up higher. Spoke to my pro and he said to do the opposite- tee it lower as the higher it is then you will try and pick it off the tee.

This. Think about it logically, if your ball is in an old divot on the fairway, you automatically hit down to really trap it. I find it with long irons. If I tee them up I fell like I need to pick it. 3 Wood is the same for me, tee it down and feel like the club head is chasing the ball to stay in the shot.