Who would be your Player of the Year for 2020?

Who would be your Player of the Year for 2020?

• Dustin Johnson

Votes: 32 66.7%
  • Bryson DeChambeau

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • Jon Rahm

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sophia Popov

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Tyrrell Hatton

• Justin Thomas

• Collin Morikawa

• Emily Pedersen

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • AN Other - please state

Votes: 1 2.1%

• Total voters

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Covid Barry one of my PPs, shot 45 points playing off 10, being there and seeing it happen was my highlight and the round of the year. Covid Barry is fully deserving of Player of the year.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It might just be recency bias but I thought Emily Pederson even before I saw your shortlist. If she keeps her form into the US Open it'll be very interesting.

In the men's comp I'd go for DJ.
I don't follow the ladies game but the BBC have done a piece on Pedersen today so I read it. Very well done to her but could you be player of the year without a major in the bag or without a win on the stronger US tour?

Has any woman dominated across the season, in majors or have they been spread across the board?

sunshine

Visit site
Not sure how anyone could vote for Pedersen. Winning 3 in a row is impressive, but 2 of them were in Saudi with a very weak field. LET is miles behind the LPGA in terms of strength of field isn't it?

Also, fair play to Mel Reid, among others, who articulated why they weren't playing in Saudi.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Definitely DJ. I can't vote for BDC even though you have to admire someone with so much conviction in ploughing his own furrow. That does resonate with me. I would mention Pedersen as irrespective of who is in front of you to win three times in a row is still impressive.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don't follow the ladies game but the BBC have done a piece on Pedersen today so I read it. Very well done to her but could you be player of the year without a major in the bag or without a win on the stronger US tour?

Has any woman dominated across the season, in majors or have they been spread across the board?

I agree, it’s great golf but it’s not the top players competing in them. Majors have been spread, Danielle Kang has a couple of lpga wins and if added a major would be good but not DJ level so I think it would need to be one of the current women’s major winners taking a second win to compete.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just to shoehorn a stat in as Tiger’s stats are so phenomenal and it does mention DJ.

“This is Dustin Johnson's 106th career week as the no. 1 ranked player in the OWGR, tying Rory McIlroy for 3rd-most all-time.
If DJ holds the number one spot every week until Christmas 2031, he'll tie Tiger Woods' record of 683 weeks.”
@JustinRayGolf

evemccc

Visit site
DJ I think is the best player in the world and I think when all the main contenders are firing, he has the highest ceiling. He’s rightfully world no. 1

But Bryson is the story of the year no questions.

The question wasn’t asking ‘who’s the best golfer’ — you could look at the OWGR for that. Therefore Bryson is the Player of the Year — he’s been the main story and won a major by a big margin and another PGA event. He’s my pick

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Pre lockdown you might have thought Rory was a shoo-in for this - now when we talk about 'if ** is firing on all cylinders he'd be the best' it's DJ rather than Rory who most of us go for. Will be great to see Pedersen at the US Open after not even playing at two of the other three majors - Europe looking quite tidy ahead of Solheim Cup

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
DJ I think is the best player in the world and I think when all the main contenders are firing, he has the highest ceiling. He’s rightfully world no. 1

The question wasn’t asking ‘who’s the best golfer’ — you could look at the OWGR for that. Therefore Bryson is the Player of the Year — he’s been the main story and won a major by a big margin and another PGA event. He’s my pick
It is not asking who is 'Story of the Year' either. Player of the year is subjective and in reality is a straight shootout between the two of them. Which one comes down to your own views. Neither answer is wrong, if that makes sense.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

Isn't it? Surely golfer of the year means who was the best golfer that year? I would have said that's exactly what it means.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
If Bryson had been in contention at Augusta then there is a plausible case to be made.
But he wasn't
So there isn't
IMO of course..:whistle:

D

Deleted member 29109

Best professional golfer of the year is DJ by a mile. It's not even close. BDC Has had a great year by any measure, and made a lot of noise for himself to become 'the story'. But he's not up to DJs standard, who has quietly just gone about his business.

Pederson has had a good streak. But against weak fields. Yes she still has to win, but having watched a fair bit of those tournaments the standard of golf was fairly poor. Certainly not up to the standard of the LPGA.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Not for me. BDC may have made the headlines and won the US Open but for all the hype I feel DJ has been more consistent, topped off by a dominant Masters after also knocking off the tour championship