Who is still moaning?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Flag rule update time please.

I'm still in the camp that this is the best change in years. Nullifies farting about on the green and has from my experience has been embraced by all going by the fact that nobody has ever asked for the flag to be tended. Medals, Opens and bounce games people seem to be getting on with it.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I occasionally play with one person who insists on it being taken out, he still wont play Ready Golf either so he is a bit of a lost cause. Apart from that it gets left in 90% of the time and it is has been a great change. Our place has poles that are slightly too thick so it will get removed when relatively close as a firm rap can give a bounce out, it's not an issue from distance. Otherwise it is in all the time and it has definitely got a thumbs up from me.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Flag rule update time please.

I'm still in the camp that this is the best change in years. Nullifies farting about on the green and has from my experience has been embraced by all going by the fact that nobody has ever asked for the flag to be tended. Medals, Opens and bounce games people seem to be getting on with it.

Agreed. Best rule change ever for me.

Lazkir

Head Pro
Visit site
Great rule change imo.
The only issue so far is the numptie I played with last week that dragged his ball out of the hole with the flag. He wouldn't accept that he was damaging the hole. Cretin!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
good change only downside is people pulling the ball out the hole with the flag which damages the holes esp witn the thicker flags we have at Nairn. though there is sometimes some in out in out senario

D

Deleted member 15344

From what we have seen it hasn’t made much difference- some still have the flag tended , some have it in and some have it out , hasn’t changed the pace of play etc

It was expected though as it was something we did over winter anyway.

But the main issue is - it’s damaging the holes because people are using the flag to remove the ball from the hole , I know a few greenkeepers wish they could ban the rule

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
From what we have seen it hasn’t made much difference- some still have the flag tended , some have it in and some have it out , hasn’t changed the pace of play etc

It was expected though as it was something we did over winter anyway.

But the main issue is - it’s damaging the holes because people are using the flag to remove the ball from the hole , I know a few greenkeepers wish they could ban the rule

Ban members not the rule, can't account for idiots, as for pace of play guess you guys need to walk faster.

D

Deleted member 15344

Ban members not the rule, can't account for idiots, as for pace of play guess you guys need to walk faster.

It won’t improve the pace of pay when people want to have the flag in or out or tended , everyone is different. Our comps go round at the same pace and i suspect it’s the same with most

And if only it was that easy to ban people 🙄

Just because it’s a rule you like doesn’t mean it’s perfect and everyone should like it

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
Brilliant for me. Only issue is I find myself being the one moaning - I find being behind a group, as I was the other day, who insisted with farting about with the flag increasingly annoying! There's no need!

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
It won’t improve the pace of pay when people want to have the flag in or out or tended , everyone is different. Our comps go round at the same pace and i suspect it’s the same with most

And if only it was that easy to ban people 🙄

Just because it’s a rule you like doesn’t mean it’s perfect and everyone should like it

Deliberately damaging the course - cheerio don't come back. Quite simple.

hines57

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
good rule and here to stay. Not having the flag tended certainly helps when the greens are soaking wet - given that it removes the need for some heavy footed person to stomp around near the hole!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
People are leaving it in from distance which has to be good as there isn't so many people standing near the hole tending the flag. On the downside we do have a few that once inside 10 feet want it out and a few wanting it in so we simply make those wanting it in go first. Not sure its made any difference to pace of play

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I've never seen anyone ask for the flag to be tended, nor have I noticed rounds being any quicker.

For me, if I'm so far away that I would previously have had it tended then I'll leave it in, otherwise I prefer it out as I'm convinced more balls miss by clipping the edge of the stick and bouncing out than fast balls are stopped by the flag that would otherwise have gone over the hole.

Sometimes the scenario arises where some insist it in and some out and the flag dance happens.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Great change, has eliminated tending the flag for long putts and you can tap in with the flag in when you hit it stone dead. I still have it out most of the time when I get closer (as does almost everyone I've played with this year) but I'm not precious if it happens still to be in.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Generally seems to be working well.

One of our three on Saturday was a flag-out guy for shorter putts - but as soon as I twigged that, I would go to the flag when he was to putt and asked him In or Out - and usually Out.

But it didn't make any difference to our speed and didn't feel like faffing about. We are all good on playing ready golf - including on the green.

And for myself on short putts - and if someone asks me In or Out - I'll choose depending how I feel.