Which would be/has been your 100th course played ?

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
During what can only be described as a rather "quiet" Sunday I decided to count how many golf courses I had ever played. I realise this is very sad but do not fear for me.

By way of celebration, I have decided that my 100th course will have to be the Old Course. My total stands at 88 so I have a couple of years to save up for the cocktails at the Old Course Hotel.

Which would be yours? .....Or if you've passed the magic milestone, can you remember which it was?

Trueblue

Head Pro
Visit site
I don't think your strange John_Findlay but then again maybe all us golfing nuts are a bit strange! When I get up to a good number like 88 i will definitely start counting exactly how many courses I have played (at the moment reckon it is 30 odd).

Think if my 100th could be anywhere it would probably be Old Head Kinsale - seen loads of photos of it recently and it just looks immense!

PaulOHagan

GM Staff
Visit site
Great question! Thats got me thinking John- think i might have to get my course guide out this week and work out how many i've played.

The old course would be a great one to reach that target!

B

birdieman

You'd need to be some kind of trainspotter to record a list of every course you'd played, I've no need to do this as I've already played the Old Course at St Andrews -that is the only true mecca for any real golfer.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well, lets face it, we're all trainspotters if we're looking at a golf forum !

Glad you got the chance to play the best of the best. I've only walked around it at various Opens and I can't wait to do battle with the old lady for real...A 75 or better would keep me happy for life, I think, but I guess I'll have to practice the 100 yard putts for a few years yet.

B

birdieman

John,
I played the oLd Course in March so we were on winter tees, same length as normal tees, however the 11th hole was missing (under repair) replaced by a fairly hopeless attempt at a golf hole. Really disappointed at 17th they put the flag right at the front so the road hole bunker and wall didn't come into play. In that respect I would like to play it again in full condition. It was 4 degreesC and blowing a hurricane, 4 layers and wooly hats weather but it was still special. I shot an 82,(play off 4) which included an 8 on 17th (dont ask) and a DB from a lost ball. Managed to eagle 10th with a nice pitch in which was my highlight. Also beat my pal 5&4 which was even better! Front 9 played very short and back 9 really long with the wind. Biggest surprise was that neither me nor my partner found one bunker all way round, that must be a record cos there's hundreds of 'em! Oh you have to use those awful winter mats too (unless no-one's looking!). The nerves on the first tee were ridiculous as no-one was there to watch but it felt weird all the same, I'd recommend it highly. Playing 17 and 18 is another great, slightly surreal, experience, hard to explain, just try it and you'll understand. Superb greens, you just cant see the ups and downs on tv.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Birdieman,

Good to hear about your experience on the Old Course. I've heard it can get hairy in the wind so I'm definitely planning to play it during a good summer when I can enjoy the experience to it's full.

Aahhh...the perils of "winter" golf. I played Macrihanish for the first time on Friday, a course I've been dying to play for a while. As usual, it was "blowing a hooly" so I was delighted to scrape round with an 80 with some very dodgy putting..... but it's still a cracker.

It's always the same, isn't it ? When you play a class course with a reputation you REALLY want to be on your "A" game with great weather and good company. It's what the game's all about. You gotta love it. Playing Carnoustie and Turnberry later in the year too. What other sports can you name where you can do that? Don't know any footballers who have played at Hampden or tennis players who have played at Wimbledon

John