Order of merit at your club

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
[h=3]Order of Merit - new system for calculating[/h]We were finding that previously, the more competitions people played the more likely they were to finish higher in the OOM.
The aim of the OOM is to reward the players who have played the consistently better golf over the course of the season as opposed to merely rewarding players who have played the most competitions.
The Competitions Group have therefore decided on a new system as follows:

• 18 hole stablefords will count (not medals)
  • the actual number of stableford points scored in each competition will be added together
  • only the 10 best scores for each player will count
  • there will be a separate OOM for ladies and gents
Once more Tashyboy was having a perusal on the IG golf site and I came across this whilst actually looking for it. Don't get me wrong I think the changes are correct. Last few years I have done quite well in it but every year half a dozen women were miles in front of the men and the men that played the most comps were towards the top of the OOM leader board. But I thought rightly or wrongly the OOM was the same at every course. If it's not, how is yours worked out and is it fair. Plus comments on ours greatly appreciated. 👍

D

Deleted member 16999

[h=3]Order of Merit - new system for calculating[/h]We were finding that previously, the more competitions people played the more likely they were to finish higher in the OOM.
The aim of the OOM is to reward the players who have played the consistently better golf over the course of the season as opposed to merely rewarding players who have played the most competitions.
The Competitions Group have therefore decided on a new system as follows:

• 18 hole stablefords will count (not medals)
  • the actual number of stableford points scored in each competition will be added together
  • only the 10 best scores for each player will count
  • there will be a separate OOM for ladies and gents
Once more Tashyboy was having a perusal on the IG golf site and I came across this whilst actually looking for it. Don't get me wrong I think the changes are correct. Last few years I have done quite well in it but every year half a dozen women were miles in front of the men and the men that played the most comps were towards the top of the OOM leader board. But I thought rightly or wrongly the OOM was the same at every course. If it's not, how is yours worked out and is it fair. Plus comments on ours greatly appreciated. 👍
So Cat 1’s have virtually no chance of winning your OOM, bit unfair.
Surely if you wish to reward consistency it should be Stroke?

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Best 12 scores count - from all individual strokeplay Q competitions (medal & stableford) played from October to September (probably about 50 available). Scores converted to stableford points.

438 is currently leading - winner likely to be somewhere between 450-460.

(Edit. And to counter the argument that Cat 1 players have virtually no chance due to it being based on stableford points - just checked and first & second last year were both Cat 1.)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16999

Best 12 scores count - from all individual strokeplay Q competitions (medal & stableford) played from October to September (probably about 50 available). Scores converted to stableford points.

438 is currently leading - winner likely to be somewhere between 450-460.

(Edit. And to counter the argument that Cat 1 players have virtually no chance due to it being based on stableford points - just checked and first & second last year were both Cat 1.)
The Cat 1 comment is based on an OOM being purely Stableford competitions.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
On ours the top 10 in summer monthly medals and trophy competitions are awarded points (12, 10, 8 down to 1) according to where they finish. The more comps they play and finish in the top 10, the more points they accumulate.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why discount medals, probably the best format for showing the most consistent players.

Why not simply convert the medal scores to stableford points if you are insisting on using stableford.

I only know how our Seniors work and it based upon money won. I am currently top and it mainly based upon my medal scores rather than my stableford scores.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
We don’t have an official one but a member does one and provides a trophy and money at the end.
It’s based on all medal rounds throughout the season but best 10 count.

It’s not something I look at often or play to. In fact I don’t agree that it’s best 10 as that’s a small amount of the medals we play. Best 20 would be fitting for our place.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No idea how ours works, but all I know is im currently in the top 12 and the top 12 play for £100 at the end of the season, so I'm happy with how it currently works.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ours runs over 12 events throughout the year. Points earned based on a top ten finishing position.Currently, sitting 10th overall.

Ours is the same as this. Our 'Golfer of the Year' trophy is run over a number of events, top 15 get points (15 for first, 14 for 2nd and so on). Most points wins.

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We have a list of all applicable comps, including all monthly and mid monthly medals, several of the trophies and few doubles and a mixed doubles comp.

Of these, if you win you get 10 points, then 9, 8, 7 etc down to 1

Winner has the most points by the final comp of the year before PrizeGiving, which will be February time.

Generally speaking, good quality golfers win it, but with the mid week medals included I do feel it benefits the retired or shift worker a little..

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
For years ours have simply rewarded those lucky enough to play every event including the midweeks. That's unfair and I think, although not 100% certain the management took the decision to revamp it this year and the criteria. Need to find out exactly what this now. I am well up there (top 10) and only had a win and a second so need to work out why