Which type of wedge in a greenside bunker?

• Thread starter Deleted member 23344
  • Start date

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Not always the best .. had one a month ago.. bunker was wet cuz of all the rain. Hour hitting hard sand.. had a sore lower back on and off since

Cannot believe the pro give you a lesson in a wet through bunker. I would of given it a miss. But he should of given you a technique to trust.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Cannot believe the pro give you a lesson in a wet through bunker. I would of given it a miss. But he should of given you a technique to trust.

48 hour cancellation policy. pissed down day before , needed a bunker lesson costing me most shots

Lazkir

Head Pro
Visit site
48 hour cancellation policy. pissed down day before , needed a bunker lesson costing me most shots

Quite frankly that's disgusting imo!
Any pro should realise that a booking for bunker lessons is going to be a waste of time in wet bunkers. To go ahead regardless of the conditions just because of a strict cancellation policy is unprofessional.
He's there to teach you, you're there to learn. Going ahead knowing that it will be a waste of time is just money grabbing.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Even if it rained the day before. you can still ruffle up the sand using the rake to make it perfectly playable.

That’s exactly what we did , just the hour on the harder sand rather than a normal bunker jarred my back

Not his fault it had rained .. not blaming him just saying a bunker lesson doesn’t always cure your problem lol

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i'd imagine it would depend on how deep the bunkers are and how steep the faces.

I'd imagine most of the parkland courses around here you could get away with less loft and less bounce depending how much sand is in the bunkers. but if you are at a Links or heathland course the bunkers and faces will be deeper, so more loft and bounce again would depend on the sand.

or alternatively get the course pro to give you a bunker lesson, maybe on the course ect

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I am not a huge fan of many sand wedges that come as part of a set. Many just look a bit chunky and uninspiring to my eye so would buy 4-PW and then get a gap wedge and SW that suited my eye and with the bounce option I wanted

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
links courses, especially the top ones, have great fluffy sand that you could splash out of using an opened pitching wedge.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I use a 54 Cleveland wedge for greenside bunkers, unless I am up by the lip in which case I will use the 58, or 50 to get more distance if the ball is on the far side of the green.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I use a 56° Cleveland wedge. I bought it as a sand wedge so to be worried about stone scratching it and not use it would render it a bit pointless. I have a cheap 60° Dunlop someone gave me, but I don't really use that. Have tried one like it in the past but I would get times where I effectively went straight under the ball and it just popped straight up and didn't even reach the front of the bunker. The 56° loft is more suitable I think. (Mine has 14 bounce as well if I recall correctly.)

badgb21

Hacker
Visit site
My thoughts on your actual question;
Life is way too short to worry about some scratches on your MD wedge.
These wedges are £115. Depending on how often you play, they could last 5+years.
Try both clubs side by side in various situations and see which club gives you the best results, then carry it.
If you get mixed results then my preference would be to go with the MD and keep practicing.

Good luck and enjoy your clubs and don't worry about scratching them, you may affect the residual value by about £10!

I have a 54 SW in my set of Ping G20s that I use for full swing shots from around 60 yards out ... and a 56 Mack Daddy wedge for chips around the green. To date, when in a greenside bunker, I have been using the SW from the iron set (a) to avoid ruining my Mack Daddy wedge with sand and stones and (b) because I imagine (possibly wrongly) that the extra weight in a SW from a game improvement set of irons will help get the ball out better.

However, would I perhaps be better using the specialty wedge in greenside bunkers ... or is that just for pros and low handicappers? I fancy trying the specialty wedge in bunkers, but I don’t want to risk damaging it if, as a high handicapper, I’m unlikely to get any benefits.

What do you use? Thoughts?

Thanks.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My 58 Callaway Sureout is very easy to use close to the green.
My bunker play was awful, I bought a Callaway Sure out and I get out easily pretty much every time.
How do you use the Sureout differently to a normal bunker shot? Do you open the face still at address?

I was wondering about this as well, don't know much about the Sure Out. How does it differ to typical sand wedges?? And as Karl says would you use it the same way?