Which type of wedge in a greenside bunker?

• Thread starter Deleted member 23344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 23344

I have a 54 SW in my set of Ping G20s that I use for full swing shots from around 60 yards out ... and a 56 Mack Daddy wedge for chips around the green. To date, when in a greenside bunker, I have been using the SW from the iron set (a) to avoid ruining my Mack Daddy wedge with sand and stones and (b) because I imagine (possibly wrongly) that the extra weight in a SW from a game improvement set of irons will help get the ball out better.

However, would I perhaps be better using the specialty wedge in greenside bunkers ... or is that just for pros and low handicappers? I fancy trying the specialty wedge in bunkers, but I don’t want to risk damaging it if, as a high handicapper, I’m unlikely to get any benefits.

What do you use? Thoughts?

Thanks.

Lazkir

Head Pro
Visit site
If you have the room in your bag, buy a 60 degree Dunlop wedge for a tenner and learn to use that out of the bunkers. It's really easy once you've got the technique down.
I use my Cleveland 60 degree wedge for all greenside bunkers, rarely have a problem in getting out.

D

Deleted member 16999

Varies between 56 and 51 depending on depth of bunker, how much green to work with, whether I can get a full swing at it etc. All things being equal I use the 56 the most.

D

Deleted member 23344

All very interesting guys, but the question was basically “the SW that came with the set of irons” or a specialty wedge?

They are a similar loft and bounce.

Last edited by a moderator:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If your two wedges have the same loft and bounce why are you carrying them both?

As already said the most important thing is to have the correct bounce for the type of sand and the lie.

Where I play the sand can vary from very soft deep sand (particularly when the bunkers have been refilled well raked and in dry conditions) from which I use a 58 with 14 degree bounce to semi hard pan (particularly after rain) and I will then use a 50 with 8 degree bounce. My 'go to' wedge for sand which is reasonably firm with about an inch under the ball is a 54 with 8 degree bounce.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Use a proper wedge, not the one that come with your set. I don’t know many manufacturers that make sand wedges that actually work in like a sand wedge should. It my say SW on the bottom but really that will just distinguish the loft.
Not ideal for sand.

D

Deleted member 1147

Any sand wedge should be fine, assuming the bounce is suitable.
I used to have a set of Howson Derby irons, the sand wedge was awful (in theory) but I was really good with it.

So I would suggest that you need to check the bounce to ensure it’s appropriate. If so the wedge from the set should be fine.

In terms of loft, I use my 58 normally, unless I have some distance to go when I use the 54.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I think a 60 wedge depending on your course is almost a wasted club, any 54/65/68 with decent bounce wold be adequate imo.

D

Deleted member 1147

I think a 60 wedge depending on your course is almost a wasted club, any 54/65/68 with decent bounce wold be adequate imo.
65 & 68 ?

For clarity I assume you didn’t mean those?

I have pw 50 54 58

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Sorry, I don't mean to be rude, but your post made me smile. You don't use the real wedge as you might damage it with sand and stones. I would hate to own any club that I was not prepared to use as the tool for what it is designed for. You clarified in a latter post that you want opinions on which one is best.....given they are similar loft/bounce.

Is it not obvious to get into a decent practice bunker and see for yourself which one is best? I would not hesitate to do this. One versus the other. The results of such an easy trial will give you a conclusion that no one else here can get near by using an educated guess.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
In all honesty and I cannot believe no one has said this. Have a bunker lesson. Then you would be able to use any club and not just the two mentioned. You need to have a routine in the bunkers and stick to it. Especially being a higher handicapper. Like me. 😁
I say that because I was all over the place and a lesson has helped me loads.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In all honesty and I cannot believe no one has said this. Have a bunker lesson. Then you would be able to use any club and not just the two mentioned. You need to have a routine in the bunkers and stick to it. Especially being a higher handicapper. Like me. 😁
I say that because I was all over the place and a lesson has helped me loads.

Not always the best .. had one a month ago.. bunker was wet cuz of all the rain. Hour hitting hard sand.. had a sore lower back on and off since