Which tee ?

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
No just one competition, anyone playing off the tees with the higher Standard Scratch Score will receive additional shots at the end of the round.

I don't get how this can work - I understand the difference in SSS and the additional shots, but playing off a different tee is not just a distance factor....there are psychological issues that come into play as well....a backward tee might require you to play the ball between an avenue of trees for the first 100 yards or so....thus putting additional pressure on a golfer.....the forward tee might take out of play a particular hazard up the fairway for one golfer but bring it into play for another golfer...depending on how far they hit the ball.

Sometimes the relative difficulty of a course off the Yellows v. Whites is a lot more than simply the difference in the SSS.

Perhaps these differences will be less when we go to a slope system where the courses are rated for handicap golfers and not just scratch golfers, but where the old SSS is used....I'm not convinced.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
At mien we have

Red = Ladies
Yellow = Mens
White = Competitions
Blue = Juniors.

Yesterday while playing with my son we were ambling along and the course was quiet only a 2 ball behind and a single behind them. Anyways we let the 2 ball through on Hole 4 and my son on 3 said they were teeing off from the wrong place but I thought he was imaging it. Anyways on 4 instead of going from the mat or from the tee box with the whites which were closed anyways they just seemed to tee up randomly anywhere and off they went....

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
At mien we have

Red = Ladies
Yellow = Mens
White = Competitions
Blue = Juniors.

Yesterday while playing with my son we were ambling along and the course was quiet only a 2 ball behind and a single behind them. Anyways we let the 2 ball through on Hole 4 and my son on 3 said they were teeing off from the wrong place but I thought he was imaging it. Anyways on 4 instead of going from the mat or from the tee box with the whites which were closed anyways they just seemed to tee up randomly anywhere and off they went....

If no one is around and I am just playing for fun then sometimes I will not walk back to a tee if it is a bit of a pain to walk back to. I'll just tee up on the fairway where the path comes out. Not often but not unusual to do. I would imagine that is what they did.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I don't get how this can work - I understand the difference in SSS and the additional shots, but playing off a different tee is not just a distance factor....there are psychological issues that come into play as well....a backward tee might require you to play the ball between an avenue of trees for the first 100 yards or so....thus putting additional pressure on a golfer.....the forward tee might take out of play a particular hazard up the fairway for one golfer but bring it into play for another golfer...depending on how far they hit the ball.

Sometimes the relative difficulty of a course off the Yellows v. Whites is a lot more than simply the difference in the SSS.

Perhaps these differences will be less when we go to a slope system where the courses are rated for handicap golfers and not just scratch golfers, but where the old SSS is used....I'm not convinced.

Yep I agree with this. Not as simple or fair as just adding or subtracting a few shots.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site

Yep I agree with this. Not as simple or fair as just adding or subtracting a few shots.

Although overall length of the course is still the major factor when rating the course, all the other factors are used whichever tee is being assessed. It's not just a case of rating for whites then subtracting the length difference to get the SSS for yellows.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
If no one is around and I am just playing for fun then sometimes I will not walk back to a tee if it is a bit of a pain to walk back to. I'll just tee up on the fairway where the path comes out. Not often but not unusual to do. I would imagine that is what they did.

yeah that would make sense but at ours all the tees follow the greens. I think they didn't want to go off the mats but also didn't want the extra distance the whites add so were maybe guessing where the yellows will be in the summer.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
During the summer we are;
Red/Ladies par 75 SSS 75 slope 139, 5735 yards
Yellow men par/SSS 71 slope 131 6200
White Mens medal par 71/SSS 73 slope 135 6500 yards
Blue Mens Championship par 72/SSS 74 slope 138 6800 yards

You can pretty much play off which ever tee's you like, but in reality the blues only get used for a couple of opens, Club champs and County championships.

All the tee's give a different perception of the course and angle off the tee, I find you get the best impression of what the course design intended from the medal tee. And quite a few clubs up here let you chose which tee you use. with exception of Royal Dornoch, you have to play an open or get SP to play off there whites.

FuzzyDuck

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I played the 9 hole course at Ferndown last year and was royally confused by the tee colours, Green and Gold. So I chose the Gold tees and only realised these were the ladies tee's when I got to a par 3 that was under 100 yards.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I played the 9 hole course at Ferndown last year and was royally confused by the tee colours, Green and Gold. So I chose the Gold tees and only realised these were the ladies tee's when I got to a par 3 that was under 100 yards.

Trump Aberdeen has 8 different color tee's to chose from;

5 for men 3 or women

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
We only have 5 - but one set is rated for both sexes so we have 6 rated tees. Basically as yours (even the same colours) plus green and red with SSS of 69 and 67 respectively.

All TA are slope rated, but then you would expect them to be as that's the target audience.. overseas visitors