Which Set for £200 ?

PatBoySlim

Visit site
I am new to gold and I am looking to buy a set for around the £200 to begin with.
I've been offerd a Ben Sayers set with free customisation from American golf discount.Suggestions/Recomendations ?

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd go for a second-hand set. American Golf sell lots. Sure you could pick up a pretty decent set of forgiving cavity backed irons (say Mizuno MX's) for £200 no problem. New seems a bit of a waste if you have just taken up the game.

Cheers

John

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I agree with john.

You could get some great kit for minimal expense. I have a shed full, and so will many on this forum. If you are not into ebay (I'm not) look in the ad mags.

Having said that Ben Sayers would be OK. Trouble is, if you get the bug, you'll be upgrading within months.

Dave

Golfer2112

Assistant Pro
Visit site
J_F is, again, the Voice Of Reason. 2nd hand is the way to go. Your pro may well have some decent kit which has been traded in because many golfers seem to think "Ok, I am not very good so I'll spend £500 on a brand new set of clubs and I'll become great overnight." Which they rarely do, so take advantage of their ineptitude.

Also, if a pro has a 2nd hand set for sale, he shouldn't mind you taking them out for a test round.

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
Its really swings and roundabouts, if you get a second hand set they might be aimed at a low handicapper and on there last legs and if you get a cheap new set and get into the game within months you want to upgrade (as is my problem).

If I was you I would go for the Golden bear ones or the Wilson Fatshaft IV £149 4-sw.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Guys, my guess is that PatBoy is talking about a package - not just the irons.

I've got the Ben Sayers MX7 graphite package and so far these suit me (partially I think, because the graphites have longer shafts than steels). I don't doubt though that the guys will advise steels especially if can can get them fitted. (I didn't get mine fitted because I was too naive at that time and hadn't benefitted from the wealth of real advice that you will get here.)

Yes I am considering a new driver or differently shafted woods - (and yes I suspect it's a mind thing and we all want new toys!) - but these clubs will, I suspect, see me through the first couple of years at reasonable cost.