Which of these are worth using?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Balata balls were before my time. What was it that made them harder compared to today's modern balls?

Nothing really harder about them in terms of playing. They spun a lot more compared to Surlyn Wound (the PTS) and that spin meant a loss of distance in comparison. They were so soft it was not unusual to go through 3 balls a round if your grooves were sharp or you had a slight mis hit. Back in those days most pros used a new ball on every hole. Spin levels were noticeably different to todays balls.

AliMc

Visit site
Tour Balata are worth £10 a ball to the idiots that want to play them with them with their 1980 sticks!
I was having a rake around in the bottom of my wardrobe looking for something (which I never found) and came across 6 tour balata that I got in Dubai in 2002, they have the Emirates palm tree symbol on them, might give one a go sometime

TigerBear

Visit site
Nothing really harder about them in terms of playing. They spun a lot more compared to Surlyn Wound (the PTS) and that spin meant a loss of distance in comparison. They were so soft it was not unusual to go through 3 balls a round if your grooves were sharp or you had a slight mis hit. Back in those days most pros used a new ball on every hole. Spin levels were noticeably different to todays balls.

That's crazy :LOL:

Even for your club golfer having to go through 3 balls a round and that's if you didn't lose any!

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Even for your club golfer having to go through 3 balls a round and that's if you didn't lose any!
I used to play 100 compression balatas because I thought I got more holes out of them.
But there was an interesting point of change and that was the stratus ball coming in and professional 90s

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I used to play 100 compression balatas because I thought I got more holes out of them.
But there was an interesting point of change and that was the stratus ball coming in and professional 90s

Yes. When the Topflite Strata came out I ditched all my old balls and switched to them immediately after trialling them.

I tried the Maxfli Revolution and the Precept Double Cover at the same time.

I still went through at least 2 balls a round - square grooves and you could see parts of the white cover in them. I still think they were the best of all the Stratas all though I used the Strata Tour Ultimates for a few years until they too were discontinued (I bought the last 6 dozen in the Pro shop).

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Balls were not the relative expense that they are now back then plus I could afford it.

I only used the balata covered balls in comps and used the surlyn covered balls in general play. My preference back then was the Maxfli DDH500 Tour Balata and DDH500 Surlyn (not the the same Maxfli as of more recent years).

D

Deleted member 3432

Yes. When the Topflite Strata came out I ditched all my old balls and switched to them immediately after trialling them.

I tried the Maxfli Revolution and the Precept Double Cover at the same time.

I still went through at least 2 balls a round - square grooves and you could see parts of the white cover in them. I still think they were the best of all the Stratas all though I used the Strata Tour Ultimates for a few years until they too were discontinued (I bought the last 6 dozen in the Pro shop).

The Topflite Strata was a game changer, the stopping power of a balata on the green and 20 yards extra off the tee overnight.

Even better into a headwind, about 50 extra yards ?

AAC

Visit site
I dug out some NXT tour balls from the bottom of my locker, I used them yesterday and they were in good order, no noticeable difference from the tour speeds I had been trying

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yet they're still high handicappers..... so what is the point you are making ?
Then if you seen someone 260 off the tee in the fairway you could bet your life he was a good player.
Now he could be off anything the tech is that forgiving.

But a high capper then was 28 now it’s 54:
I know lots who hit a driver well but can’t hit an iron or putt to save their lives.

sunshine

Visit site
I dug out some NXT tour balls from the bottom of my locker, I used them yesterday and they were in good order, no noticeable difference from the tour speeds I had been trying

Same. I’ve been playing some NXT Tours recently and they are decent. Also some pro V1’s that are 10 years old. No different from 2021 balls.

theoneandonly

Blackballed
Visit site
Then if you seen someone 260 off the tee in the fairway you could bet your life he was a good player.
Now he could be off anything the tech is that forgiving.

But a high capper then was 28 now it’s 54:
I know lots who hit a driver well but can’t hit an iron or putt to save their lives.
I think you're just imaging loads of big hitting high cappers. I'd be willing to bet that fewer than 10% of this forums members can carry the ball over 240 let alone 260.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think you're just imaging loads of big hitting high cappers. I'd be willing to bet that fewer than 10% of this forums members can carry the ball over 240 let alone 260.
I must of imagined all the ones I have played with then.
Modern drivers have helped more than anything else.
I have only played with Liverbirdie off here .
But golf does exist after the forum.